High Volt Drop On Lighting Circuit 2A Mcb?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steps,

For once in a bluey green with pink spots, red doughnuts & yellow stripes moon you are wrong.

Using breakers to any value which comply with 60947 or 60898 is not a deviation.

This does not warrant a change to BS7671, it also does not mean that BS7671 is inadequate in any way.

As NozSpark said, VD is calculated using the load, it says "The VD is determined from the demand of the current-using equipment, applying diversity factors where applicable, or from the value of the design current of the circuit". It also says in Note 1 that greater VD is acceptable for high inrush currents. So it should be sufficient to use 0.75ohms in your VD calc.

So I would use 6a mcb for the lighting circuit, at least there are references to max Zs etc for a 6a mcb in bs7671 and no references to a 2a mcb in there.
OOPS sorry.

Steps,

For once in a bluey green with pink spots, red doughnuts & yellow stripes moon you are wrong.

Using breakers to any value which comply with 60947 or 60898 is not a deviation.

This does not warrant a change to BS7671, it also does not mean that BS7671 is inadequate in any way.
Yer, I understand that, it was a bit tongue in cheek tbh,

But, if the value permitted isn't in the regs how does it comply? 

We know it does, and it can be calculated, just wondering how it still complies though.

post 17...

432.4, characteristics of protective devices,  'the time/current ... shall comply with those specified in BS8, 3036, 60898, 60947-2 or 61009-1, ... use of another device is not precluded... '

post 17...

432.4, characteristics of protective devices,  'the time/current ... shall comply with those specified in BS8, 3036, 60898, 60947-2 or 61009-1, ... use of another device is not precluded... '
Ok, posts with simply reg numbers get ignored by me,

There are plenty of other dixkheads that spout regs without knowing or understanding them,

I really can't be arsed to sit here looking through a book to shoot a poster down,

NO offence to yourself intended. 

Ok, so as I unferstand it now,

As long as the BS is referenced in 7671 then all devices complying with that BS comply, even if the value is not included,

That's good enough for me,   :)  

Well seeing as the OP is off trying to find 2amp breakers........

kylie-minogue-2.jpg

Yes, I know hager do em.

There is a 3amp type B 60898 specified in 7671, but I haven't seen one yet in the wild.

old lady.jpg

but 'competent' is now not defined in 7671...

and we all know how useful / accurate manufactures instructions can be
Well i just picked up the latest PE mag at Harrogate today....there is now ANOTHER register from Emma and her luscious curly lascivious locks

Omperent registered person electrical.....or something F similar.

So then, that is just another change to business cards, letter headings, etc...so no cost there then

And it won't end there Kerch .     The  register as on the back of my van is now obselete  .  It has another name  with a picture of a house .

Next step will be a cartoon electrician approaching the door like Postman Pat . 

I must admit to quite liking the NICEIC Logo that looked like a Burning House.....confidence instilled or what?

Tony Cable was on form today...one of his "frequent questions".......bonding or not of a free standing metal spiral staircase???

WTF....so,i went to have a pleasant chat with a very nice, but stressed, man from the IET...