Home Electrics Diy Competence -Vs- Need Qualified Electrician.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we alter a circuit in any way we hand over a cert. Even if just changing a light switch. As electricians we are putting that circuit we have just isolated back into service. We need to ensure it is safe.
 This is where advise is contradictory, you are correct the best practice is to record inspection results for like for like replacement, however if you replace a MCB like for like it can simply be recorded on your invoice that the work as been done with no test results required.

Now that seems strange, and probably why when replacing a socket, switch or fused spur 99% of electricians myself included would not issue a minor works certificate.

It is just peace of mind that we have checked all is well before we leave. Not very often but on occasions I have tested upon completion only to then find a termination has popped out of the socket I have just changed.

do a quick test if you want (i often do), but i dont see the point in doing un-necessary paperwork and writing out a cert for it. if i found something worthy of being noted, then it would be done, otherwise not

Each to their own. I also think it gives customers a bit of further confidence in that you have done the appropriate work and testing correctly.

So do you open up the board and disconnect the circuit neutral to allow an IR test on every switch replacement?
Everything we alter we submit a certificate to cover the works we do. To be honest I thought that was normal and how was always taught. As a competent person your are isolating the circuit. Should you not test prior to putting it back into use?

Everything we alter we submit a certificate to cover the works we do. To be honest I thought that was normal and how was always taught. As a competent person your are isolating the circuit. Should you not test prior to putting it back into use?
You test to ensure that the works you do are safe. For a replacement light switch this might include a Zs (if metal plate) and an RCD test (if fitted). I don't believe that anything more is justified. I'm not 'taking responsibility' for the whole circuit or the whole installation.

Of course, if I happen to spot something dangerous, I would bring it to the customer's attention.

You test to ensure that the works you do are safe. For a replacement light switch this might include a Zs (if metal plate) and an RCD test (if fitted). I don't believe that anything more is justified. I'm not 'taking responsibility' for the whole circuit or the whole installation.

Of course, if I happen to spot something dangerous, I would bring it to the customer's attention.
Why does doing a MWC make you responsible for the whole circuit? If you extend a circuit do you also just test the works you do? I would test the complete circuit.

So do you open up the board and disconnect the circuit neutral to allow an IR test on every switch replacement?
This is not one of the recommended or minimum tests to be carried out. Although I and many others would not issue a MWC for replacing like for like, I do carry out basic tests. Essex1 is doing what everyone should do, though in my opinion it is really not required especially as contradiction is in the advise given.

If I was replacing a light switch the only test I would do was to satisfy myself that a earth was present( not required with a plastic switch plate) but I would think about if this was changed to a nice shiny metal one.

Look, BS7671 is a guide, it has no status in a court of law, much to my disgust, guides are there in main to provide assurance to those who do not know better, if you follow those guides you are less likely to be challenged, though this does not mean that I and others like me when challenged could not give suitable defence.

I read loads of data, most of which contradicts itself. I have come to learn that compromise and common sense prevails.

The only people who do get on my nerves are those who do electrical work without any testing taking place, and those who do it with a neon screwdriver.

Latest posts