Home Storage & Solar Virgin

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbo_100

Reaction score
Hello Ladies & Gents, TBH I stumbled across this forum whilst researching DIY home storage solutions and I've been hooked reading through your forum ever since. I'm not a sparky by trade just a keen D.I.Y'r & dodgy old ex-Car Mechanic who enjoys getting his hands dirty and a technical challenge. I started dipping my toe into the whole DIY battery storage thing a few months back, when my energy bill started getting out of hand and quickly realised the cost savings to be had if your keen to do the research and take a wee leap of faith I suppose into the world of renewables.

I presently do not have solar installed on my property (planning to DIY install if feasible) I have however, taken receipt of 16 x Grade A LK280K Lifepo4 Lithium Batteries & 2 x Seplos Mason 280 DIY cases (due to arrive in February 23) and have my mouse hovering over the buy button in Amazon for a Victron Multiplus II 48/5000/70-50 Hybrid inverter. So you can see I'm pretty committed.

Hi Jimbo,

Welcome aboard.

It sounds like your proposed system is a copy of mine that Ive just done (switched on 24th December).

Why 2 x Mason Cases? The 280 case can take the full 16 battery count. I very nearly used the Mason case myself but built a small shed instead to house the inverter too.
If you bought your batteries from Fogstar and/or they come with small bits of threaded ron and nuts with built in locking, I threw them away, I couldnt get good tension with the torque specified. I replaced them with nuts, spring and plain washers (M6 from B&Q bulk section, £5 for whatever you can fit in a bag)

The Multiplus II is a great inverter, you should opt for the GX version if you can, that gives you all of the comms built in too so you dont need to buy a CERBO GX in addition. Dont buy the official Victron CT, buy a generic one and save £100.

Choose the DC switch and fuse wisely DC supplied by batteries can be brutal.

I purchased 35mm2 cable from ebay for the wire up.

Good luck, keep us posted, start a build thread.

Questions and info from jimbo_100 can be found if you Click me

Last edited by a moderator: