How can I find the source of a high pitch sound?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a mystery sound on a refurb job once , drove us all barmy , turned out to be a smoke detector in the skip . We had to beat it to death to shut it up , bit like Specs!!
had a similar thing a while back. it ended up sleeping with the fish, in the bottom of the customers pond

We have a similar thing at my house. High pitched noise that is mainly heard at night. If you go outside it can be heard but quieter because the sound travels over the top of nearby buildings and so the sound is louder upstairs. I got in my car one night and found it to be an extractor fan in a 24hour factory. The fan does not seem as loud in the day because of all the other background noise it has to compete with.

I suppose the ballast or the lamp in a streetlight could be making a noise , put your ear against the control box cover at the base .

Another thought is one of those street distribution cabinets for cable TV / phone , could have a cooling fan inside, playing up.

If and when you discover the cause, please let us know.

I couldn't stop laughing :) )

If the pc is turned of but the monitor is in standby I hear a high pitch noise.Funny one to do with noises:

Called by our elderly neighbour "I can hear a high pitch noise but cant find where it's comming from, it's all over the house can you help?"

So I go round there walk all round the place.......Nope cant hear a thing Dennis...

"it's here now, can you hear it?"

Nope, so I move closer to him & can just about hear a real high pit tone....move a bit close & put my ear close to his jacket pocket.....It's comming from you pocket Den.

"Bloody hell I've been looking for that for hours"

His hearing aid & the battery was giving up.
Sorry I forgot to quote m107

Latest posts