How hard is the 2391?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Carter, That board looks in better nick than the one I used! You are right in what you say about that board is purely to test your knowledge of practical testing,there is more. A board for the visual checks which has so many faults you won't belive and you have to identify the 12 faults they placed(one of mine was reversed tailsApplaud Smiley). Another board for your Ir fault tests using the tails only, and finally a small portable unit with a efli test and you tell the examiner if the cct he stipulates using the "rule of thumb" conforms or not. After asking where I worked he decided mine was a sump pump. I actually thought the practical was the easy bit. The written exam however took me the whole allotted time but Some left well before me. wether they passed or not I don't know. I passed but honestly didn't know for sure until the results arrived(unusual for me as I normally know in my head if I have passed an exam or not).

How hard is the 2391?

No getting away from the fact it is a hard exam. The failure rate is high. What I would say is that most of my college class did the 2391 after completing the 2360/16th edition whilst still in college learning mode. And most of us passed. I would say that the ones that didn't pass were the ones that didn't put the work in doing loads of past papers and decent revision. Put the work in, and the chances of passing are greatly increased. It's not an exam where you can blag it by waffling convincingly, or look up the answer in the regs/OSG. You have to KNOW stuff!

From my observations, you do need to have a reasonable amount of practical experience of testing to be able to understand the course properly. Taking it before you have done the 2330 is probably a mistake, and in any case most colleges (including our local one) would be looking for this as entry qualifications. Plus you need to accept that it's 10 weeks of learning and revision - not just attending the course and then opening the revision book the night before the exam.

Don't be put off doing the course because it's hard with a high failure rate. Just be realistic about the amount of commitment and work you need to put in over the time span of the course!

How hard is the 2391?No getting away from the fact it is a hard exam. The failure rate is high. What I would say is that most of my college class did the 2391 after completing the 2360/16th edition whilst still in college learning mode. And most of us passed......
I would concur with that..

when I did my 2391, we had just done 2360.

and our Local college had got some European funding grant toward some training & education costs..

which basically meant as long as you worked for a small company or self employed you only had to pay the exam fee. :)

The lecture came round promoting the course and touting for candidates..

win-win on both sides.. the course work costs were covered by the EU! college get their money!

We just had to sign a declaration saying who you worked for.. and the college then sent that as their evidence for funds.

and we only paid the C&G exam fee!

I think most of the class took up the offer so we just carried on for a few more weeks..

(10 weeks evenings 1day per week) same class - same lectures - same evening..

As you say Greek' while you were still in the learning & book reading mode... it most certainly was an easier way to do it! :D ;)

2391 is a very hard exam to pass,i should know i walked out the exam in july thinking it was in the bag and then received a fail:_| :_| :_| am resitting it 23rd oct ,i have plenty of testing experience just dropped a few gaffs on the day,the time constraints dont allways allow you to think things through properlyBlushingGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

just remember with the 2391 you DONT fail the course!!!!

you sit four practical exams (which most people pass)

you sit the 2 and a half hour written paper (which most people fail)

you then pay your 30 quid resit fee and have another pop at it, but you dont fail the course

The biggest advice i can give is to know GN3 backwards

Many of my students are sitting the 2392 firsy, and it DEFINETELY helps them

good luck

shakey

with regard to the 2392, when you start the course do you need a basic knowledge of testing or do they start from scratch.

also do they teach you about the certificates and the paperwork side of things.

i think i will do this courtse before making the step up to the mighty 2391

cheers

shakeywith regard to the 2392, when you start the course do you need a basic knowledge of testing or do they start from scratch.

cheers
well i did the 4 day course 2391 and the 2392 was done on the same course and yes i would say you would need a basic understanding of the test procedures and GS38 etc,but the 2392 is a multi guess exam but 2391 is a different kettle of fish.

Hi guys,

2391 is currently running at a 62% failure rate nationally! Anyone who has had a modicum of testing experience should find the practical relitively easy, the writen paper - 2.5 hours hand writen, no books is very stiff (one of the hardest exams I have ever taken).

C&G say it is a level 3 exam justthe same as the regs! I dont think so!

If you pass the practical and fail the wqriten the practical remains valid for 2 years - plenty of time for a resit.

Once you pass both parts the is 'currently' no requirement to update the qualifcation at anytime.

BE POSSITIVE AND DO YOUR HOME WORK

I agree with "Dino". 2391 theory was the most intensive exam I have taken. You have to think your answers out before you write them down, to ensure that you have not forgotten anything. The last question, the "biggy", has to have every detail in the answer and the two and a half hours seems to fly by.

I was lucky enough to pass first time so it can be done.

yes Tony the time does just seem to catch up with you,i have done loads of revision and i have left thursday free so its all day revising then straight to the exam.just hope i passGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

Good Luck with it Paul.

The wait is a pain in the rear too, isn't it?

Agree with everything thats been sad here. 2391 written is a really hard exam. But if you can get to know the GN3 inside out then I would say you are half way there. I did my 2391 in July straight off the 2330 L3 and passed.

I did spend 10 weeks cramming the GN3 though, and learn't a lot of it off by heart. I also bought the City and Guilds Exam Success book which I found invaulable as it gave a lot of good advice in how to actually answer the exam questions correctly. This is the key to passing the 2391.

I think that a lot of candidates fail, not because they lack the relevant knowledge, but because they do not express their answers in a clear and concise manner, or to the examiner's satisfaction.

Good Luck with it Paul.The wait is a pain in the rear too, isn't it?
yes it is,i might find out for january i suppose:(i allso think c&g should set and stick to a set percentage for passing instead of saying oh it depends how poeple do,they can move the goalposts at will,still why should they spoil their gravy train.:^OGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

Agree with everything thats been sad here. 2391 written is a really hard exam. But if you can get to know the GN3 inside out then I would say you are half way there. I did my 2391 in July straight off the 2330 L3 and passed. I did spend 10 weeks cramming the GN3 though, and learn't a lot of it off by heart. I also bought the City and Guilds Exam Success book which I found invaulable as it gave a lot of good advice in how to actually answer the exam questions correctly. This is the key to passing the 2391.

I think that a lot of candidates fail, not because they lack the relevant knowledge, but because they do not express their answers in a clear and concise manner, or to the examiner's satisfaction.
Spot on my old sausage, the biggest trick with C&G is to get to know the correct technique for passing the exam. They aint one of the richest charities in the UK for nothing - its there right to fail anyone, anytime - do they still have the "FLOATING" pass mark - you b et your bottom dollar they do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! X(

shakeywith regard to the 2392, when you start the course do you need a basic knowledge of testing or do they start from scratch.

cheers
The 2392 is a higher level qualification and you are expected to know and have a bit of experience in most electrical areas including testing.

Generally speaking, one of the problems I know of that has affected people I know who have failed exams is the lack of tuition between resits. It seems that you pay your money and have a nother stab at the exam. Now if you failed, surely you need a bit of help and support to find out your weak spots and fill gaps with knowledge. Our college doesn't offer any tuition tom people that don't pass other than shove a load of past papers at them and give no feedback. A good mate of mine has only just got the science part of 2360 at the umpeenth attempt - some tuition in between would have probably helped him. I think it's even worse for those that need to resit the 2391 in not having further tuition. I guess colleges actually want you to shell out to do the entire course again.

taking mine next Thursday, been doing loads of revision, past papers etc but it just does not seem to sink in. any advice anyone?

Cheers

justin

Hello Jud Welcome to the forum,

I think you would be better off starting a New thread of your own Mate.

Good Luck with the course. :D

I have just done the 2391-10 and nearly finished 2391-20 (design) also recently done building regs and 17th ed. I have to say that yes the 2391 is a very challenging course and you really need a bit of experience behind you. Statistically there is a 42% pass rate. However its down to where and who you do the course with. I did mine with Connaughts in Rotherham (they have places in Coventry and Bracknell too) and their pass rate is 75%

The theory exam is not hard if you have done the coursework and plenty of revision. Saying that I havent had the result yet but am confident I reached the minimum 60% pass mark. The practical takes 4 hours in total with 4 tests including a full PIR including all relevant paperwork on a board similar to that shown in previous posts. Again you need some experience in testing and confidence in isolation techniques.

Best of luck.