Can I be a 40yr old apprentice!!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacberry22

Reaction score
Hi all I passed my 2330 level 2 and level 3 many years ago now, so just wondering if it’s worth me doing my nvq 3 apprenticeship?? So what would be the hourly rate as an apprentice at 40? I’ve kept my hand in a little bit ie home projects I did have me 17th edition but obviously I’m gonna update that. Reason I’m asking is my sons just started an apprenticeship he’s 16 and I would like nothing more than for us to work together in the future so an info would be great, also is it just my nvq 3 plus am2 then I’m fully qualified?

Thanks

Mick.

If you are an apprentice then you can not expect the "qualified wage" despite your age, as binky asks could you afford the drop in wages?
Also it would be up to the employer who you work with where you go, it would be unfair to give one electrician two apprentices, yes if you are on a big site, maybe. I also do not think it would be a good idea to work with any relative for a long time, as at some time there will be problems.

I don't see a problem working with your son. I worked with a relative for 25 years. Yes a few arguments but don't all work colleagues..
Your never to old to learn and if your happy to take a cut in wage's then go for it. Your still young enough to get the long term benefits for the qualifications.

If it's any help, I retrained at 42. I was fortunate to have completed an apprenticeship in control engineering in industry. Not quite the same as electrics but a lot of cross over skills. Got the 16th edition, Part P, and 2391 via short courses, then spent time with a friend leaning'house bashing' - the hardest part in reality , all on a self employed basis. I then advertised a lot and took on all the small jobs other more established electical contractors didn't really want, like changing odd sockets and lights, adding a socket in the garden etc etc. There's a surprisingly large market for such works. I built a reputation from that, which eventually led to better and bigger jobs, lots of referrals, and my first apprentice. Business expanded from that, and I took advantage of the solar market demand. 6 staff later and the joys of running that size of business came to an end when the government destroyed the solar side of the business. I should have sacked the staff at that point, but didn't really want to. Eventually I worked out that insufficient works mean't I needed to let staff go, and reducing the overheads mean't I could work 3 days a week, with no headaches, and earn the same money. So I came full circle after about 16 years, and went back to the small jobs, kitchens and bathrooms, a bit of school maintennace work and some testing and inspection for landlords. In reality the small jobs earn a higher daily rate than something like a full rewire, with plumbers and other trades charging £80-100 for an hour (or just turn up), customers don't bat an eye lid when you ask for £60 to change a socket, plus you get to go home early! Site work tends to be the more lucrative, purely because of the sheer hours you can clock, but sites come and go, so tend to be a bit 'feast or famine'.

One option for you given you already have some training would be to go 'agency' for a while to get back into the electrical side of stuff. Level 3, from memory, was mostly about producing a 'portfolio' of works to show experience gained rather than learning anything technical ie no real benefit to doing it. I've also seen the quality of agency staff on some jobs, and most leave a lot to be desired, so work hard, turn up on time, and you should be fine. Do that for a while then perhaps start your own business. Your son can work elsewhere for a few years until you are in a position to employ him within your own business.

Not really on topic but working with our son would be my worst nightmare!
Probably his too :):):)

I have done jobs with both of my sons and we have all really enjoyed working with each other, when they were teenagers it may not have been so good but now they're in their 30's it's really no hardship.

Hi all I passed my 2330 level 2 and level 3 many years ago now, so just wondering if it’s worth me doing my nvq 3 apprenticeship?? So what would be the hourly rate as an apprentice at 40? I’ve kept my hand in a little bit ie home projects I did have me 17th edition but obviously I’m gonna update that. Reason I’m asking is my sons just started an apprenticeship he’s 16 and I would like nothing more than for us to work together in the future so an info would be great, also is it just my nvq 3 plus am2 then I’m fully qualified?

Thanks

Mick.
Having gone through redundancy and failed at starting a driving school, I went offshore as a Trainee ROV pilot Technician at age 55. They asked me how I felt about taking instruction and orders from someone half my age, I said it was like being at home with my family!
When I started there were good and bad crews / supervisors that I worked with, several of them wrote me off as soon as I stepped onboard and I had to go a lot of extra miles to prove myself.. It took me 4 years to reach the dizzy heights of supervisor and I was always well respected by trainees coming up through the ranks because I gave them a chance, allocated training time etc.
Hourly rate would be difficult, it will depend on who youre working for and how much sympathy they have towards your situation. For me, I'd be looking for a small operation, maybe even a one man band to give him a help as well as getting your tickets. Look for someone who is heading towards retirement that you may be able to take over his business when he finally hangs his boots up, it could be mutually beneficial.

i was 31 when I started my retraining adventure. 34 now and doing a hvac apprenticeship. Go for it.

i was 31 when I started my retraining adventure. 34 now and doing a hvac apprenticeship. Go for it.
I've been job hunting over the past week and noticed HVAC workers are getting paid very well.. I think at 54 I'm a bit too old :)

If it's any help, I retrained at 42. I was fortunate to have completed an apprenticeship in control engineering in industry. Not quite the same as electrics but a lot of cross over skills. Got the 16th edition, Part P, and 2391 via short courses, then spent time with a friend leaning'house bashing' - the hardest part in reality , all on a self employed basis. I then advertised a lot and took on all the small jobs other more established electical contractors didn't really want, like changing odd sockets and lights, adding a socket in the garden etc etc. There's a surprisingly large market for such works. I built a reputation from that, which eventually led to better and bigger jobs, lots of referrals, and my first apprentice. Business expanded from that, and I took advantage of the solar market demand. 6 staff later and the joys of running that size of business came to an end when the government destroyed the solar side of the business. I should have sacked the staff at that point, but didn't really want to. Eventually I worked out that insufficient works mean't I needed to let staff go, and reducing the overheads mean't I could work 3 days a week, with no headaches, and earn the same money. So I came full circle after about 16 years, and went back to the small jobs, kitchens and bathrooms, a bit of school maintennace work and some testing and inspection for landlords. In reality the small jobs earn a higher daily rate than something like a full rewire, with plumbers and other trades charging £80-100 for an hour (or just turn up), customers don't bat an eye lid when you ask for £60 to change a socket, plus you get to go home early! Site work tends to be the more lucrative, purely because of the sheer hours you can clock, but sites come and go, so tend to be a bit 'feast or famine'.

One option for you given you already have some training would be to go 'agency' for a while to get back into the electrical side of stuff. Level 3, from memory, was mostly about producing a 'portfolio' of works to show experience gained rather than learning anything technical ie no real benefit to doing it. I've also seen the quality of agency staff on some jobs, and most leave a lot to be desired, so work hard, turn up on time, and you should be fine. Do that for a while then perhaps start your own business. Your son can work elsewhere for a few years until you are in a position to employ him within your own business.
Thanks for the reply so there is hope 😀 with my level 3 I just never done my nvq but still worked on sites I still keep my hand In here and there but only my own stuff and family’s like you say sockets lights garden lights. I think what’s made getting thinking about sparking more is the face my son has got into and he’s loving he’s doing commercial stuff ie Starbucks, kfc, tacho bells also domestic stuff to so I’m just wondering would it be worth getting back on the tools well what I have left I’ve given everything to my son ha

Thanks for the reply so there is hope 😀 with my level 3 I just never done my nvq but still worked on sites I still keep my hand In here and there but only my own stuff and family’s like you say sockets lights garden lights. I think what’s made getting thinking about sparking more is the face my son has got into and he’s loving he’s doing commercial stuff ie Starbucks, kfc, tacho bells also domestic stuff to so I’m just wondering would it be worth getting back on the tools well what I have left I’ve given everything to my son ha
There's always hope, no hope and Bob Hope. Younger forum members won't remember that one 😃.

Commercial is more interesting than domestic, if you can handle the travelling. A friend of mine was covering a chain of well known betting shops. His area was all of the SW, plus South Wales. ' I love driving' he said, a year later he was fed up with driving up and down the M5 from Plymouth and packed it in.

Good excuse to buy new tools if you do go back to electrics, your qualified enough, but do you really want to pack in your current employment? I had little choice, with factories all shutting down as companies shipped the work out to China, there wasn't much future in my previous career, so less of an issue for me as I was giving anything up as such.