How To Replace Oven Thermostat (3 Terminals) With Thermostat (2 Terminals)?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

123brh

Reaction score
Hi,

Please can anybody help with the main oven thermostat on my Stoves 700DFDOA?

I am trying to replace an obsolete EFG 205 Thermostat (3 terminals) with a EGO 320 Thermostat (2 terminals).

There were three wires connected to the original thermostat:
Orange (to timer)
White (to thermal cutout I THINK?)
Yellow (to main PCB)

The new thermostat only has 2 terminals, so what connections should I make?

Any help or advice you can give would really be much appreciated. I've already spent £100 on spares and I don't want to buy a new oven! Thank you.

need more info than that. pics of new and old would be useful but youll have to wait until you have more posts or an admin changes your account before you can post images

Welcome to the forum. Have you tried contacting Stoves customer care for advice?

Doc H.
Thanks Doc H.......

I dd contact them at the beginning of the problem, I bought a replacement switch and PCB from them, as I originally thought those parts were the problem. However, having replaced them, the main oven was still playing up (fan not coming on, heating element coming on sometimes for no reason, and other times not heating hot enough.

They advised it was likely a thermostat. They didn't have a replacement thermostat as the part (EFG 205 Thermostat - 3 terminals plus earth) is obsolete and not superseded. I found a pack for sale on Ebay and Amazon which contained an EGO 320 Thermostat (2 terminals plus earth). But the listing said that it was compatible with my model of cooker.

I'm starting to think it's not compatible because of the number of terminals.

So I'm just wondering if any of you clever bods might know about the wiring of thermostats in ovens, and might be able to point me in the right direction for some kind of fix?

Thanks again!! :) Ben

so, not meaning to sound bad or anything,

but, you have blindly spent £100 on pure guesswork as to what might be faulty, and tbh, it does seem you may have bought a normal standard thermostat,

it could probably be made to work with your cooker, but I doubt very much it will ever work the way the cooker was designed to.

have a look here

So I'm just wondering if any of you clever bods might know about the wiring of thermostats in ovens, and might be able to point me in the right direction for some kind of fix?

Thanks again!! :) Ben
Without wiring drawings or seeing the actual appliance it would be pure guesswork. The colours used on the internal wiring of appliances is mostly down to the manufactures preferences. There is no standard colour code for internal control wiring. Are there any designations, labels or symbols on the terminals of the original thermostat and the replacement thermostat you have purchased ?

Doc H.

so, not meaning to sound bad or anything,

but, you have blindly spent £100 on pure guesswork as to what might be faulty, and tbh, it does seem you may have bought a normal standard thermostat,

it could probably be made to work with your cooker, but I doubt very much it will ever work the way the cooker was designed to.

have a look***
Thanks Steptoe - I looked on Espares, buyspares, ransomspares... they all list the old thermostat, but say our of stock / obsolete / unavailable.

your best bet is to try and get hold of a wiring diagram, or at least a spec for the old thermostat,

so we can find out what the 3rd terminal actually does,

it may be something as simple as a NO contact, or, it may be something more complicated like a 'halfway' point stat that brings in some sort of boost until the oven gets up to near temperature,

tbh, its all just guesswork without some more info Im afraid.

Without wiring drawings or seeing the actual appliance it would be pure guesswork. The colours used on the internal wiring of appliances is mostly down to the manufactures preferences. There is no standard colour code for internal control wiring. Are there any designations, labels or symbols on the terminals of the original thermostat and the replacement thermostat you have purchased ?

Doc H.
Hi Doc

I've got photos but I can't post a link yet, not enough posts. I'll try to PM them to you in a minute. Connections are as follows:

Old thermostat (EFG 205) has 6 numbered locations & earth on the back:

1) -

2) Orange wire was connected (to timer)

3) White wire was connected (to thermal cutout I THINK?)

4) -
5) Yellow wire was connected (to main PCB)
6) -
Earth - nothing connected

New thermostat (EGO 320) has 2 numbered locations & earth on the back:

1) -

2) -

Earth - nothing connected

I apologise - I can't find a manual or wiring diagram anywhere, which I know is no help. So if anybody can make an educated guess that would be appreciated!

Cheers

Ben
your best bet is to try and get hold of a wiring diagram, or at least a spec for the old thermostat,

so we can find out what the 3rd terminal actually does,

it may be something as simple as a NO contact, or, it may be something more complicated like a 'halfway' point stat that brings in some sort of boost until the oven gets up to near temperature,

tbh, its all just guesswork without some more info Im afraid.
Thanks Steptoe, I'm looking for a spec for the old thermostat now... come on google...

. I found a pack for sale on Ebay and Amazon which contained an EGO 320 Thermostat (2 terminals plus earth). But the listing said that it was compatible with my model of cooker.

I'm starting to think it's not compatible because of the number of terminals.
I would have returned the e-bay item for a refund as soon as it was evident that the terminals did not match up and they had not provided any wiring information.

cookerspareparts.com List a TS 1152 as being a genuine alternative main oven thermostat replacement for a Stoves 700DFDOA ?

http://www.cookerspareparts.com/search/ckman-stoves/ckmod-700DFDOA/cksku-059056804

http://www.cookerspareparts.com/cooker-part/main-oven-thermostat--fits-belling--new-world---stoves-/ts-1152?manufacturer=stoves&applianceModel=700DFDOA&appliance=059056804

Not sure if it looks anything like your original?

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
From a suppliers item description;

Please note:This thermostat is No longer available. It is available as a kit which comes with main oven thermostat & switch top oven the rmostat & switch. Please contact stoves direct to confirm wh ich kit is correct for your model number. Also the parts wil l differ from the original parts if you have any difficultie s fitting you will need to contact stoves direct as fitting may be different depending on what models its required for.

I would have returned the e-bay item for a refund as soon as it was evident that the terminals did not match up and they had not provided any wiring information. LINKSPAREPARTS List a TS 1152 as being a genuine alternative main oven thermostat replacement for a Stoves 700DFDOA

Not sure if it looks anything like your original?

Doc H.
Doc H, Thanks...

I've realised my stupid mistake. They have sent me a kit including the TS 1152 (2 terminals) and a switch (SWITCH MAIN OVEN & HOTPLATE SWITCH TP004785 - from your link).

Because there were loads of knobs, wires, and bits from other cookers in the kit, I thought it was all surplus to be chucked away.

Now I've taken the old thermostat apart and seen it contains both a switch and thermostat, I realise I need to assemble and wire the switch and thermostat they have sent me to get a working solution.

I'm going to go back to the supplier and/or stoves tomorrow to try and find wiring instructions!

Silly me... I'm sorry for wasting your time with my stupidity!!

Ben

Latest posts