How many amps can you plug into a 13 A 2 gang socket?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian

Reaction score
Hi all, first post on this forum!

So here is my question: I have the 2 gang socket shown here on the picture. My understanding is that this is a 13 A socket and it is connected to the rings main which is protected at 32 A.

Can I plug in two applicances (one in each gang) that will draw 13 A each? Will the socket handle that? The current plan is to plug our oven (2.9 kW) and our small induction cooker (3 kW) in there, but I don't want to burn the house if I make pizza and pancakes at the same time....
Thanks everyone for your time.

Attachments

• photo_2023-12-12_10-49-17.jpg
    photo_2023-12-12_10-49-17.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 2
In theory yes, but personally I wouldn't put in two high rated appliances which will draw power for long periods.
It's stressing the outlet and its connections to their limits. Every chance the old socket will start getting hot.
Also, from your picture it looks like that may be a spur or radial rather than on a ring, when I definitely wouldn't recommend it.

Ok, thanks a lor for your replies, this is extremely valuable. So from what you're saying, it seems like a safe way to go would be to get someone to come in and simply remove the double socket and put two single ones instead. Can anythong go wrong with that?

Depends whether that is part of the ring final circuit or not. The single radial circuit cable from which we can see is either the radial feed to that socket or a radial from it.

Ok, thanks a lor for your replies, this is extremely valuable. So from what you're saying, it seems like a safe way to go would be to get someone to come in and simply remove the double socket and put two single ones instead. Can anythong go wrong with that?
It would be worth getting someone in to properly assess the situation. Is there a cooker point of some sort near to that socket? Does your board have a circuit marked cooker?

Hi all, first post on this forum!

So here is my question: I have the 2 gang socket shown here on the picture. My understanding is that this is a 13 A socket and it is connected to the rings main which is protected at 32 A.

Can I plug in two applicances (one in each gang) that will draw 13 A each? Will the socket handle that? The current plan is to plug our oven (2.9 kW) and our small induction cooker (3 kW) in there, but I don't want to burn the house if I make pizza and pancakes at the same time....
Thanks everyone for your time.

It is very common for two utility appliances, (Washing Machine and Tumble drier), to damage a double socket if running simultaneously...

Even seen kettles & toaster damage the internals of a double socket they were sharing..

I would never recommend putting two high power cooking / heating / washing appliances into the same double socket.

Cable run look very dubious..
and requiring some attention!