I know my place !

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got most of my education in Sweden and graduated from high school aged 16 with good grades. My parents never really pushed me in any direction. Mum said I could be whatever I wanted as long as I didn’t want to be a farmer (could possibly have had something to do with the fact that she was the daughter of one and married to another, I guess you only want so many in the family... 😆). 

Compromised slightly on her wishes and spent 3 years at agricultural college drinking moonshi... studying equine management. 😇

Fast forward a number of years and I’m in the UK and decided that horsey work didn’t pay. Decided on a total whim to be a sparky because it seemed to have the right mix of challenging theory and practical work. Off I went to Bracknell College (same as @M107) and did my 2365 level 2. Looked for an apprenticeship and saw all the guys from my current work when they came to the same college to do part of their qualifications. My tutor’s answer to me asking him what those guys do was ”they change the oil in transformers”. I applied anyway, with the hope of becoming a linesman. 

Passed the assessments, the aptitude tests and the interview. I didn’t know I was gonna be a jointer until my first day when I got given a folder that had ”Underground Cables” written on the front. 3 years later I finished my apprenticeship and passed my trade test and now I’ve been qualified 2 years next month. 

Catholic Primary School - Very rural, only 26 of us in the whole school. Passed the 11+

Christian Brother's Grammar School

Did my Maths GCSE in one year instead of two. Obtained 3 A-levels. Excelled at History and Politics, I managed to get 100% in one of my history A-level modules.

University- Law degree

Out of Uni, decided I wanted a trade.

Was all set to be an apprentice at house bashing.

Also applied for an apprenticeship in a factory along with 65 others.

Get the job. Join the electrical team with two sparks and two apprentices. Serve my time get kept on. Gradually become the last man standing in the electrical department.

I'm currently working 13hr days in a factory on my own. I've been there eleven years and every day I realise, I have a lot to learn. I have a 70 year old expert who I still sub in. He keeps me right with the bigger problems. Funnily enough he used to do my job like 30-40 years ago, before he went to Iran to work on reverse osmosis projects with a load of Germans.

Got most of my education in Sweden and graduated from high school aged 16 with good grades. My parents never really pushed me in any direction. Mum said I could be whatever I wanted as long as I didn’t want to be a farmer (could possibly have had something to do with the fact that she was the daughter of one and married to another, I guess you only want so many in the family... 😆). 

Compromised slightly on her wishes and spent 3 years at agricultural college drinking moonshi... studying equine management. 😇

Fast forward a number of years and I’m in the UK and decided that horsey work didn’t pay. Decided on a total whim to be a sparky because it seemed to have the right mix of challenging theory and practical work. Off I went to Bracknell College (same as @M107) and did my 2365 level 2. Looked for an apprenticeship and saw all the guys from my current work when they came to the same college to do part of their qualifications. My tutor’s answer to me asking him what those guys do was ”they change the oil in transformers”. I applied anyway, with the hope of becoming a linesman. 

Passed the assessments, the aptitude tests and the interview. I didn’t know I was gonna be a jointer until my first day when I got given a folder that had ”Underground Cables” written on the front. 3 years later I finished my apprenticeship and passed my trade test and now I’ve been qualified 2 years next month. 
I'm sure I remember you taking that trade test !!

We had

Cane

table tennis bat

size14 plimsoll 

brass bound bible

latin book called Ovids Metamorphoses 

most of these were favoured by the Latin teacher 

we had a couple of Teacher/Snipers who could take a your eye out at 30' with a board rubber......felt and wood. The SAS division could knock a flies genitals off with a piece of chalk at 20'

then there was  the Paedo PE/Maths teacher who had a window from his changing room into the showers. A whacking with the plimsoll,was better than being called in to see 'him'

just saying 

We had

Cane

table tennis bat

size14 plimsoll 

brass bound bible

latin book called Ovids Metamorphoses 

most of these were favoured by the Latin teacher 

we had a couple of Teacher/Snipers who could take a your eye out at 30' with a board rubber......felt and wood. The SAS division could knock a flies genitals off with a piece of chalk at 20'

then there was  the Paedo PE/Maths teacher who had a window from his changing room into the showers. A whacking with the plimsoll,was better than being called in to see 'him'

just saying 
Well corporal punishment was banned whenever I was at school so I can't comment on that.

Also we were taught by lay teachers who were pretty normal, the brothers were all old men in the twilight of their lives who lived in the attached monastery, they would call in for a visit now and again but never anything sinister.

There was one young man Fra Joe who taught religion, he ended up quitting the Brotherhood for a woman. I think he broke up with the woman in later life and then retrained as a priest.

Also the vice principal was an ex-priest who gave up his vocation to marry a woman.

I personally think Grammar Schools are a meritocracy where brighter children from working/middle class backgrounds can access education which rivals the  fee paying English Public School system.

I personally think Grammar Schools are a meritocracy where brighter children from working/middle class backgrounds can access education which rivals the  fee paying English Public School system.
I agree entirely  ...although I didn't pass  11+  and went through Secondary Modern ,  I think working class kids who are clever deserve a grammar  school  .

The rich & upper classes can't  create a "clever" kid  by just throwing money at him  but this country is strange .... if you speak with what sounds like  an educated accent  ,ie:  "Posh / Jolly hockey sticks /   1950's   BBC  English  .....you'll rise much further up the treacle stick  than someone with a regional accent . 

However it only works in England , have you noticed .....  you can't  suss out someone with a  Welsh accent  ,  the system doesn't work ,   all you can tell is  he's North Wales or South Wales  unless you are tuned in to the finer points .    

Scottish , if he speaks with a soft Edinburgh  accent you think , Oh aye he must be a doctor or lawyer ...if its broad Glasgow  you won't understand anyway . 

There are even Yam-Yams with brains  ..we met one once ..and ate him. 

I agree entirely  ...although I didn't pass  11+  and went through Secondary Modern ,  I think working class kids who are clever deserve a grammar  school  .

The rich & upper classes can't  create a "clever" kid  by just throwing money at him  but this country is strange .... if you speak with what sounds like  an educated accent  ,ie:  "Posh / Jolly hockey sticks /   1950's   BBC  English  .....you'll rise much further up the treacle stick  than someone with a regional accent . 

However it only works in England , have you noticed .....  you can't  suss out someone with a  Welsh accent  ,  the system doesn't work ,   all you can tell is  he's North Wales or South Wales  unless you are tuned in to the finer points .    

Scottish , if he speaks with a soft Edinburgh  accent you think , Oh aye he must be a doctor or lawyer ...if its broad Glasgow  you won't understand anyway . 

There are even Yam-Yams with brains  ..we met one once ..and ate him. 
Couldn't agree more

Funnily enough they reckon that's why Irish entertainers can be so successful over in the UK 

The Irish accent is deemed as classless to the English ear.

Obviously me and Risteard could pinpoint someone's background but not so to you guys.

https://www.thesun.ie/archives/irish-news/191846/dara-obriain-terry-wogans-classless-irish-accent-was-very-easy-on-the-ear/

Obviously me and Risteard could pinpoint someone's background but not so to you guys.
Yep  !  Thats how it works Rapparound   .   Dara o Briain I believe , has a degree in erm  almost everything !!!! 

Many Irish performers  well liked by the English back to  Shamus Android  ,  sorry Eamon Andrews  ,  Val Doonican , Frank  Its the way I tell'em ,  Dara , Wogan .

The mad bombers did nothing but drive a wedge through relations , certainly did here after the pub bombings  but people began to realise , its not the guy working next to you .    Now  we have the biggest St Paddy's day parade  outside of New York.   

A lot of Irish ex pats have said to me over the years   they won't speak against England  /Britain   ,  they came here , set up home , worked , married , raised kids  , were treated well  , fitted in .      Couldn't imagine what would have happened if they hadn't made the move .    

Yes  with the accent s....  I can only hear  Northern Irish    (  I drove an auld vern )     or  Southern Irish.  

People hear a Midlands accent  and assume its Brummie   but there many variations  including , Derby , Nottingham, Wolverhamton , Yam-Yam Land ,  West Brumitch  . 

Brummie accent I can almost tell which football team they would follow  Villa or Blues .   And most Irishmen in Brum follow Villa  :C   

Yep  !  Thats how it works Rapparound   .   Dara o Briain I believe , has a degree in erm  almost everything !!!! 

Many Irish performers  well liked by the English back to  Shamus Android  ,  sorry Eamon Andrews  ,  Val Doonican , Frank  Its the way I tell'em ,  Dara , Wogan .

The mad bombers did nothing but drive a wedge through relations , certainly did here after the pub bombings  but people began to realise , its not the guy working next to you .    Now  we have the biggest St Paddy's day parade  outside of New York.   

A lot of Irish ex pats have said to me over the years   they won't speak against England  /Britain   ,  they came here , set up home , worked , married , raised kids  , were treated well  , fitted in .      Couldn't imagine what would have happened if they hadn't made the move .    

Yes  with the accent s....  I can only hear  Northern Irish    (  I drove an auld vern )     or  Southern Irish.  

People hear a Midlands accent  and assume its Brummie   but there many variations  including , Derby , Nottingham, Wolverhamton , Yam-Yam Land ,  West Brumitch  . 

Brummie accent I can almost tell which football team they would follow  Villa or Blues .   And most Irishmen in Brum follow Villa  :C   
We had a load of Brummies over working on a press a month ago. They're from Schuler engineering

One of them was going on about the yam-yam Elvis (hadn't a clue what he was talking about), one was from Wolves and the other West Brom. We literally just assume anything to do with manufacturing in England is from Birmingham TBH.

Another one got has since got a job working for Jaguar.

Edit

I've just looked them up, Schuler Group are based in Walsall

Last edited by a moderator:
Going back to my original  question ,  its looking like no one was pointed towards a "profession"  ...more "Trades".   

My school was Sec. Mod  .  we marched , stood to attention ,at ease ,  yes Sir , no Sir , three bags full Sir .  Classes were silent . The cane  and size 11 gym pump ruled . 

My older brother went there , became a Ph.D   Metalurgist  and later an Anglican Priest  but my intake were funnelled  into the local factories & trades  of which there were many then . 

Everyone I remember went into engineering , toolmaking , printing , building trades ,  no one went into a "profession"  .

Some , quite few , went into armed bank robbery , post office robbery ,  some went into the Army but not past NCOs  ......   Oh! and a couple of them founded  Heavy Metal rock genre. 

I don't agree with the grammer school system, fact is kids of wealthy parents can be educated through the 11+ with a bit of private tuition to ensure they pass. I've met many well educated but fundamentally fairly thick middle/ upper class people over the years, (just look at our politicians) and many uneductated but clearly intelligent people from working class backgrounds. A good school should get the best from any child regardless of background. My local grammers appear to do well, but they start by selecting the best pupils, if you look at 'value added' to the child they fall short of several local comprehensives. They certainly failed my son, who left with very poor A level results, re-took his A levels elsewhere and has now finished his first year of his Maths and High Powered computing degree with a first. 

It is fair to say many working class parents don't really value education and fail to extract the best for their children, so it's not just a failing of the system, but even then, good teachers should be encouraging these pupils. I believe this is more likely to happen in comprehensives than grammers. 

Latest posts