If one of the following smart thermostats will be launched, which one would you want?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy.Cc

Reaction score

To be honest, we are a new thermostat manufacturer and are working hard to create our first thermostat, we want to make a product that users are loving and that is really useful to users, can you help give your feedback on these design suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You need to make a product that doesnt need a neutral when replacing mechanical stats, that would be a real deal maker IMHO. Avoids the separate power supply with wires trailing across the wall etc. A little bit like what MyEnergi did with Harvi, it's powered by the voltage from the CT's.

You need to make a product that doesnt need a neutral when replacing mechanical stats, that would be a real deal maker IMHO. Avoids the separate power supply with wires trailing across the wall etc. A little bit like what MyEnergi did with Harvi, it's powered by the voltage from the CT's.
Hi Johnb,
Thanks, do you mean battery-powered 2-wire thermostat?

I think the question you are asking
we want to make a product that users are loving and that is really useful to users
would be better directed at the potential end user if you are asking for a preference based on some pictures in further development I think it would require an amount of field testing to get real world feedback

As an installer I'm more interested in the technical specification behind the glossy front plate, are your stats going to be wireless with a receiver or a multi zone setup with additional smart thermostatic valve stats

What is the intended or will be the USP of your stat or stats as the market currently has a well established smart thermostat offering which has areas that could be improved on and the basic stats from my experience are mainly bought from what the wholesaler has on the shelf.

With more new boilers adopting operating protocols like Opentherm and EMS that may offer more opportunity to develop new intellegent thermostats

Hi Johnb,
Thanks, do you mean battery-powered 2-wire thermostat?
No, I was meaning an old type mechanical thermostat that only has 2 wires going to it. If you design efficient electronics, you can charge an internal battery, when the thermostat is open steal a few cycles of power from across the open contacts etc.

I think the question you are asking

would be better directed at the potential end user if you are asking for a preference based on some pictures in further development I think it would require an amount of field testing to get real world feedback

As an installer I'm more interested in the technical specification behind the glossy front plate, are your stats going to be wireless with a receiver or a multi zone setup with additional smart thermostatic valve stats

What is the intended or will be the USP of your stat or stats as the market currently has a well established smart thermostat offering which has areas that could be improved on and the basic stats from my experience are mainly bought from what the wholesaler has on the shelf.

With more new boilers adopting operating protocols like Opentherm and EMS that may offer more opportunity to develop new intellegent thermostats
Thank you for your suggestion, we are planning to make it a wireless thermostat that works with a receiver, it is said that people like this kind of product. And of course, we think the receiver needs to be able to talk with the TRVs, so the TRVs can ask for hot water from a boiler and tell the receiver to stop the boiler.
And, yes, Opentherm is getting more and more popular, we have more and more clients asking for this.

No, I was meaning an old type mechanical thermostat that only has 2 wires going to it. If you design efficient electronics, you can charge an internal battery, when the thermostat is open steal a few cycles of power from across the open contacts etc.
I got it, thank you John.

Admitting to be one of the older users who like a rotary control I actually have a Heatmiser programmable thermostat.
Physical installation and day to day use are really straightforward.
It's when it comes to changing the settings I find it a PIA, It invariably involves getting out the instructions and carrying out a string of button presses to insert new settings which immediately become invisible at the next step. Anything to make the settings easier and visible would be an improvement. As you are planning a wireless system, could the settings perhaps be presented in table form on a computer, with an edit facility?

Simple for the end user
I find a lot of people struggle programming things and don’t know how to get full use of it or even use it