Immersion Heater Timer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott_1993!

Reaction score
Hi everyone 

I have just moved into a new house that is all electric. The previous owner had started transitioning from Economy 8 to a new system by removing some of the storage headers and replacing them with electric radiators. Currently they have a Economy 8 meter (from SSE) and an Economy 7 water heater control panel without a timer (Horstmann one), it just runs from midnight to 7 or similar. 

Like this, 
https://google.com/search?q=Horstmann+E7BX&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi2vLXlnLjcAhVMCMAKHe-oAk8Q_AUIDCgD&biw=1760&bih=860#imgrc=GOnJF-Hkq3-aZM:

My electrician says if I want a timer on my water heater I need to get an Economy 7 compatible version and not just a standard immersion control timer (Like a Timeguard one) as the wiring is different. I would want a timer as I want a standard tariff (not economy 7/8) and don't want to run it during the night on normal tariff energy. 

My electrician wants to use the Economy 7 control panel but my power company wants to give me a smart meter. If I get smart meter should I get a Timeguard style timer or go with the Economy 7 one my electrician suggested?

Sorry for the long winded question. Thanks in advance!

You are under absolutely no obligation to have a smart meter .....

if you are only heating water, then economy 7 is unlikely to make any financial sense ...

Thanks Murdoch.

I think I might get a "non smart" meter fitted then ask the guy about the water control at the time. Maybe seek out a different electrician's opinion  as well.

I was looking to go with Bulb as an energy supplier but they charge £120 to fit the meter. Think I will look for someone cheaper. Thanks!

Probably not much mileage in asking the Meter guy about your water heating  , they generally only know how to fit meter.    

You need some figures from your supplier showing how much  E7  costs per unit  and how much extra they charge for the daytime rate .     Remember storage heaters store  heat supplied during on the night tariff ..... those panel rads must use the daytime tariff  ?  

Thanks Murdoch.

I think I might get a "non smart" meter fitted then ask the guy about the water control at the time. Maybe seek out a different electrician's opinion  as well.

I was looking to go with Bulb as an energy supplier but they charge £120 to fit the meter. Think I will look for someone cheaper. Thanks!

That is a real con ......................

How do you heat your home?

Latest posts