In this months PE ...............

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No clipboard with this guy  but I've seen them  in loads of factories .      We always had to sign a "Chitty"  , which he kept forever to use against you if requested the same item too many times .    (  " Well you had a 12" hacksaw blade two years ago .....I have a record of it!!!!!!!)       

I worked for many contractors between coming on the tools and becoming self employed .      One firm  insisted we all turn up at the office every day and  fill in that day on the time sheet .  Couple of reasons for this ,  once someone's wife phoned in  , medical emergency ,  no one knew where he was working .     The other reasons  were  the gaffer knew if you were late  and he didn't have to pay travelling time  to the jobs  as it was after 8.00am .   

Because of the mistrust no one ever got to site until 9.30 ....10.00  after the caff and tended to go home early .  Result was none of the jobs came in on time .  

Oh except for "The  Running Man"       He would be outside the office  before 8.00  so he could get the post off the postman  to hand to the gaffer . 

I saw him open the gaffer's car door once .    

Gaffer would hand out job cards for small jobs around the city centre  and this guy would leave at the trot to get there quickly .   We followed him once in the van ,  he kept running all the way ...not just round the corner to impress the boss .

Last edited by a moderator:
Many many times 

did yours use 'chits' or 'dockets'?   And were they attached to a home made clipboard, again with a springy clip holding the 1" long pencil attached with a piece of that hairy/sisal string?
Local stores required a chit in singular. Main stores required the same chit with 3 copies.  No clipboard though. And someone had to sign the chit to authorise it.