Installation Resistance Readings..

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wise move going 250 in the first place...so many do not understand what an IR test can do "damage wise"

I have been quite close to a petrol pump installation that was IRd at 1000V....and it was fuelled as well

It is now refered to as ....."do,you remember that whooooomopfffff test?.....what a mess"

It was a long time ago, but spectacular

Just be careful,out there......attrib. Hill,Street Blues. c. 1980s

Hum.... Customer not aware of what is on which circuit, so unplugged what it thought was everything and thus a quick 250v IR test gave the low reading and lead me from the downstairs circuit to this outlet upstairs!

Do you locate all outlets every time you are testing an old installation?
No of course I don't sometimes it's nearly impossible due to the nature of my work.

RCD sockets usually stick out as they would have been installed fairly recently and they are usually massive! but if it's buried under a pile o crap then your not gonna get at it.

my point was you were having a pop at PD for putting minor issues right on an EICR then you say you had to go socket hunting.

:C

just spraying...

I was once testing the IR on a lighting circuit I'd just been through doing various minor faults. L-N, L-E, N-E were all ZERO Mohms...........

Panicking now I took a deep breath thinking WTF had I done, nailed, pinched or screwed. 

It was just after I started using WAGO block clamp terminals. It was late and the last place I'd been was in the loft. The lamp batten holder was smashed to pieces so not having another I decided on the tried and tested method to "make safe" of fitting a bit of connector strip wrapped in tape and I'd replace the next day..............

The slow realisation that 222-413 is NOT the same as same as a 3-way terminal strip!

But then sometimes I'm a C***!  :lol:

Still, if ever I needed a reminder of the benefits of dead testing!

(As an aside I was never a big fan of that Windows Minnellium................)

When an apprentice we were rushing to finish a rewire

I was putting the landing floor and carpet down

Spark,was fitting the switches

Switched back on....little testing then

Light not working

Mate takes switch off with power on

Neon lit up when he touched unused side of a twin we had canibalised as a singles

Shite....cable nailed

Carpet up,floor,up

No,nails

WTF

Neon lit on induced voltage onto unused core

Lesson learnt

Latest posts