Installer Issues

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leighton

Reaction score
So I posted a few months back about having PV solar installed, which we went ahead with.

https://electricianforum.co.uk/threads/looking-for-thoughts-on-quoted-system.54622/#post-525394
Installer came and fitted the panels and ran cables initially. Fitted the rest at a later date. Everything is up and running ok it seems, which is good. However, since the install was carried out I've had two instances where damage to my newly refurbished roof has caused leaks. The first leak was caused by broken tiles, and the second due to the solar installer's contracted roofers not removing nails when taking out tiles. These punctured the membrane in two places (that I have seen), which is a special type for shallow pitch rooves (and is £300 for 25m). I had issues getting them to repair the tiles the first time and this time around the installer seems to be taking his time in getting things rectified. All after trying to bodge a repair that wasn't done as per the membrane manufacturer's guidelines. I'm also very keen that they check all of the other locations where tiles were removed as my 1yr old roof with expensive new membrane is now compromised. However, as certain parts aren't accessible through the loft space they don't want to as it requires that the panels are removed.

I wonder if others have had issues with installers and what they did to push things along? Or, are there any decent installers who could comment on where I stand? And again, is there anything that will give the installer a kick up the proverbial?

I would point out that failure to fix it will result in further damage to your property such as the ceilings, and cost them lots more money.

Can you post photos of the where the roof hooks enter the tiles. Does sound a bit of an interesting roof, the breathable membranes aren't really suppossed to be the main means of weatherproofing, the tiles or slates are suppossed to do that. As I understand it, membranes are really just to make the roof waterproof as a temporary measure in case it rains whilst installing the tiles or slates. .

Put any complaint in writing, they are allowed 10 days to reply. If they do not provide a satisfactoy response and resolve the issues, you can then complain to MCS itself. If you have a look on the MCS website, registered installers are suppossed to follow an official complaints procedure, which I believe is on the website. Losing MCS registration is the ultimate threat, as that would scupper a lot of business for them. They should also have provided an independent warranty from the likes of HIES, which would be the last port of call.

Last edited:
I would point out that failure to fix it will result in further damage to your property such as the ceilings, and cost them lots more money.

Can you post photos of the where the roof hooks enter the tiles. Does sound a bit of an interesting roof, the breathable membranes aren't really suppossed to be the main means of weatherproofing, the tiles or slates are suppossed to do that. As I understand it, membranes are really just to make the roof waterproof as a temporary measure in case it rains whilst installing the tiles or slates. .

Put any complaint in writing, they are allowed 10 days to reply. If they do not provide a satisfactoy response and resolve the issues, you can then complain to MCS itself. If you have a look on the MCS website, registered installers are suppossed to follow an official complaints procedure, which I believe is on the website. Losing MCS registration is the ultimate threat, as that would scupper a lot of business for them. They should also have provided an independent warranty from the likes of HIES, which would be the last port of call.

That's great, thank you. All of this has been going on for months now and is just a hassle. There are other things but they're more on the service side of things (scaffolder asking to go for a poo at the top of my back garden) so I'd like to get the whole thing wrapped up.

I've included some more detail below that may help.

At the bottom of this text is an image where the nail had punctured the membrane in one location, with water shown below on the bedroom ceiling. Apparently this membrane is used as a 'primary layer'. I suppose that means waterproof and will keep water out.

https://klober.co.uk/membranes/roof-membranes/p/permo-extreme
The nails hold every third tile in place, which are Marley Modern interlocking tiles. Nails can be found below. They are nailed into the truss and the hook goes over the top face of the tile. When the tiles were removed this swung down and punctured the roof membrane

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk...sYlGNaW6CKW-aJKql3msgJc8yHWa3AboWzoaAokZEALw_
IMG_20221127_095324.jpg

No breathable, clearly designed to get wet. I think what happens with low pitch is that water can be blown back up under the tiles in extreme weather.

So they had a small accident which could easily have been solved with a blob of exterior grade silicone, but the silly sods just left it. Not clever!

I used to encourage my team to take their time installing and repair anything that needed doing. On the odd occasion we would find bodged roofing job, and discuss additional repairs at nominal cost. It's far better to work that way than have to return at a later date.

No breathable, clearly designed to get wet. I think what happens with low pitch is that water can be blown back up under the tiles in extreme weather.

So they had a small accident which could easily have been solved with a blob of exterior grade silicone, but the silly sods just left it. Not clever!

I used to encourage my team to take their time installing and repair anything that needed doing. On the odd occasion we would find bodged roofing job, and discuss additional repairs at nominal cost. It's far better to work that way than have to return at a later date.

I think the damage occurred after everything was installed when the new opportunity for a puncture took it's chance, over several parts of the roof. Frustratingly I had some of the manufacturer's patch repair tape they could've used but seem to be ignoring me all the way through to opt for their own simpler bodge.

Trouble is this behaviour makes me more up tight about everything in case the rest of the install has been treated with the same lack of care. This is why I've been asking that the rest of the roof be checked.

Anyway, thank you for your help mate!

Latest posts