Installing 3 Phase Socket

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaron-lee

Reaction score
Hi all can you gland armoured cable into a 400v wall socket? This is not my usual line of work and I am doing it for an NVQ assesment which requires me to install and test a 3 phase circuit using conduit and armoured cable.

I am going to run singles from the board in dado trunking, come out of the top with conduit into an isolator and drop down below the dado to a wall socket in armoured.

I had a look in the wholesalers and the socket looks like it would require a 25-32mm gland and im pretty sure 4 core 2.5 is only a 20mm gland?

Cheers Aaron

If the socket has a threaded entry then do as sidey above mentioned. If its a knockout so you need the gland and lockring i prefer to fit a coupling and gland off into that so it gives you more room in the socket. If its a plastic commando type socket have you thought how you will earth it ?

If the socket has a threaded entry then do as sidey above mentioned. If its a knockout so you need the gland and lockring i prefer to fit a coupling and gland off into that so it gives you more room in the socket. If its a plastic commando type socket have you thought how you will earth it ?
Can I, can I?

Please Slips, please...

Machines is my bag mate, like Canoey, I MUCH prefer this stuff, machinery, Ind then Comm, then IF I HAVE to Dom!

Even Mech stuff before Domestic!

If its a plastic commando type socket have you thought how you will earth it ?
armour may not need earthed at the socket. if the armour is already earthed at the start, and has a core used as an earth to the socket, then it doesnt need earthed at the end

I was going to use a 4 pin socket carrying the earth through on the 4th core of the armoured and just earth the armoured at one end to the dado, assuming this is sufficient could i just use a nylon gland going into the socket? I havent ordered the kit yet I am just piecing a job together for an on site assessment covering all these aspects, what would you reccommend kit wise? cheers

I was going to use a 4 pin socket carrying the earth through on the 4th core of the armoured and just earth the armoured at one end to the dado, assuming this is sufficient could i just use a nylon gland going into the socket?
no. you need to use a proper gland, otherwise there is a risk of the metallic cores damaging the inner cores through movement etc

TP&E is fine, for example as it happens I don't have any 4P&E sockets in my workshop at all!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:30 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:29 ----------

Earthing?...

is this just for you to pass, or do you actually need to socket for something?

if you could use it, probably best use TPNE. its easier to disconnect N than find one

True Andy, thing is you don't really need to disconnect it either, you can leave it there and just fit a 5 pin plug.

If I was designing & wiring a new place from scratch even for TP&E I would probably fit 4p&E as that way you can always IF needed pull a 1ph supply.

Is this actually going to be used for anything other than your assessment?

What material are the conduit and the dado?

True Andy, thing is you don't really need to disconnect it either, you can leave it there and just fit a 5 pin plug.If I was designing & wiring a new place from scratch even for TP&E I would probably fit 4p&E as that way you can always IF needed pull a 1ph supply.
or even TPNE-TPE adapters if using multiple equipment between location with both

Its for me to pass i will be installing it then taking it out once he has left, my boss has given me the run of our stores to do what i need...

I am planning on using plastic conduit from the metal dado up to the isolator