Insulation resistance 0.00megger ohm

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great advice.

I left a lamp in the bathroom light the other day. I wouldn't mind but i checked everything twice. Then narrowed it down to a fault on the lights. Then narrowed it down to the bathroom and spent 5 minutes looking at a sealed light fitting trying to work out what was wrong.

if you really want one piece of advice about IR testing, it is this , and I always do it,test at 250V first, then if you have left something plugged in/switched on it hopefully wont get zapped, you are after all simply sending 'mains' voltage down the cable.

Well when I work with my mate he's an approve contractor I use his megger and do 250vdc test but mine only does 500vdc it's a KT61 I want to upgrade it as I'm used to using a megger. Thanks again that's right what I'm saying though test L-N and to E that shouldn't take anything out on 500v dc will it?

As is often the case on forums, those with limited knowledge spend a lot of time moaning about how others have answered posts, rather than trying to answer a post themselves. The dislike button was a custom feature of an earlier version of the forum. At one of the upgrades it was considered more effort than it was worth to re-install. I will add that a low resistance ohm meter is a very good complimentary instrument to an Insulation resistance tester. Also it is a fact that most of the test readings done on domestic wiring to verify compliance with BS7671 revolve around GSCE level physics. The average competent school student should be able to understand the concepts of V/I=R. For a qualified competent electrician to be struggling and needing to ask on a forum, I can understand some of the concerns posted. It is a different matter when these questions are in the Student or DIY areas. It is not uncommon on forums for members to be expecting spoon feeding and dumbing down on each and every question. I am not convinced this approach is good for the industry as a whole. Sometimes real truths have to be told, I suspect this is a hang-over from the ethos in many schools where 'children cannot fail'.

Doc H.

Great advice.I left a lamp in the bathroom light the other day. I wouldn't mind but i checked everything twice. Then narrowed it down to a fault on the lights. Then narrowed it down to the bathroom and spent 5 minutes looking at a sealed light fitting trying to work out what was wrong.
little star, bottom left. ;) thank you.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 18:06 ---------- Previous post was made at 17:58 ----------

yes, thank you, :D

little star, bottom left. ;) thank you.---------- Post Auto-Merged at 18:06 ---------- Previous post was made at 17:58 ----------

yes, thank you, :D
That was me you numpty!

(what this one?)

Bit of a faux pas there Doc. Suggest you revisit O level physics. You have a very dictatorial manor, if you don't mind me saying. I have picked up on that quite early on in the forum. Maybe the title of moderator gives you that slight terseness to your tone.
You would be careful not to offend any of our diligent moderators, they each have they own strengths and weakness's and each have a different tone, if your lucky you may bump into Mr Smith on your TEF travels.

The moderators here do an excellent job and it is totally unpaid, unloved and unthanked, so please be careful and do not try to offend any.

We used to. I was a fan of it, but it did cause some upset and was dropped with one of the upgrades. I actually think the forum is better without it. I'd have a stab at ~26 years old going from his username.

It does scare the faeces out of me as a homeowner who could employ someone trading as a fully qualified electrician who lacks such a basic understanding. As has been pointed out a dead short would be tripping the MCB.
I hear that time stands still in the Yorkshire Dales. 2012 now, Patch :D

Even me, with my HALF a brain, calculate that to be 28 years old. B-) ;)

most of the test readings done on domestic wiring to verify compliance with BS7671 revolve around GSCE level physics. The average competent school student should be able to understand the concepts of V/I=R
Fully agree with this - but from my experience a lot of students on 2330 level 2 and level 3 still have problems with this - particularly when k M or m prefix the unit of measurement. However with multiple choice and multiple retakes an awful lot pass - possibly because all permutations of the multiple choice questions have been learnt!

It's not just schools where no-one is allowed to fail - it's colleges as well.

The qualifications available desperately need an 'electricians mate' course rather than trying to artificially make unsuitable students into electricians.

I'm currently in collage my self about to complete 2330 level 2. Some of my mates just wing it as my self truly find it extremely interesting and I'm very passionate about it. Even to the extent my tutors and mates tell me to get out of the house more often lol but when it come to finding anything out or studying for an exam guess who's phone is off the hook :D

yeah but no, but yeah but no...if he was born in december 1986 then the current age would be 25, would it not? or are we counting in horse years............. :coat
You are correct. But we are in agreement that he definitely cannot be 28 if 1986 is year of his birth!

(I did add the ~ to suggest this very possibility)

:D

Fully agree with this - but from my experience a lot of students on 2330 level 2 and level 3 still have problems with this - particularly when k M or m prefix the unit of measurement. However with multiple choice and multiple retakes an awful lot pass - possibly because all permutations of the multiple choice questions have been learnt!It's not just schools where no-one is allowed to fail - it's colleges as well.

The qualifications available desperately need an 'electricians mate' course rather than trying to artificially make unsuitable students into electricians.
Too bl00dy right Davey boy.....

TBH I am loosing confidence with the training in this industry with some of the question I read on the forum...

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BASIC PHYSICS & SCIENCE...??

BBC - GCSE Bitesize: Resistance and Ohm's Law

ohms laws should be done in your sleep with your eyes shut and pajamas on.........

headbangbad day explode

p.s.

you still doing the band?

hows it going?

A colleague of mine (and a very dear friend) shows me

what is in the papers he has picked up on the way to

work.

One article, apparently about the barmy PC army, stated

that no more than 3 (yes, three!) mistakes had to be

corrected in written work submitted by secondary school

students, for fear of "diminution of self-esteem".

One of my books on grammar and punctuation by Eric

Partridge, entitled Use and Abuse, identifies a telegram,

sent in the closing years of the 19th century as the cause

of the Boer War (alluded to in a previous post by another

member) and quoted by Partridge as one of the consequences

of bad punctuation.

It remains my sincerest hope that hostilities do not break out

in this forum as a consequence of bad grammar or spelling.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 08:06 ---------- Previous post was made at 08:01 ----------

A colleague of mine (and a very dear friend) shows me what is in the papers he has picked up on the way to

work.

One article, apparently about the barmy PC army, stated

that no more than 3 (yes, three!) mistakes had to be

corrected in written work submitted by secondary school

students, for fear of "diminution of self-esteem".

One of my books on grammar and punctuation by Eric

Partridge, entitled Use and Abuse, identifies a telegram,

sent in the closing years of the 19th century as the cause

of the Boer War (alluded to in a previous post by another

member) and quoted by Partridge as one of the consequences

of bad punctuation.

It remains my sincerest hope that hostilities do not break out

in this forum as a consequence of bad grammar or spelling.
Oh, an afterthought. people have died in hospital because of the

maladministration of drugs, based upon a common misunderstanding

of the difference between cubic centimetres and millilitres.