Insulation To Roof Space

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just had a call from a customer where we installed downlights in the master bedroom (not fire rated in those days) in 1998-2000.

Anyway guys turn up to put additional insulation in roof as per grant etc, tells her she needs to replace the downlights for fire rated or get hoods fitted so they can throw the insulation over them.

FFS what do these idiots think that's going to do.

She was not buying that and asked them cut insulation around fittings 150mm all way round, they are not happy and gone to van for a meeting.

Wonder what their next move will be, I await a call back.

Mention possible de-rating of cables! They WON'T get out of the van. Lets face it they're probably on price and only interested in slinging it down as quick as.

I,m amazed they even bothered to raise the question of the downlights TBH . But as said above , why don't they just cut a square section out round the lights.?
Because, as I understand it, Building Regs require the insulation to be continuous.

They should be fitting insulation guards over the lights prior to laying the insulation. This should be picked up by whoever surveyed the property. Insulation covered downlights are a well known fire risk and there are plenty of remedial products available. For example:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/halolite-downlight-insulation-guard-220mm/97932

I thought 'fire rated' downlights were to maintain a fire barrier eg when the 2nd floor of a property is occupied. Not less heat generating or less likely to catch fire if unable to cool.

correct apache, nothing to do with stopping the downlighter causing fires, as seems to be a popular misconception. Personally I cant stand them as changing lamps is a pain, and they tend to overheat lamps causing early failures.

They are one of the banes of the sparky, I couldn't count how many faults I've been to caused by these guys. Double layer of insulation, get it down as quick as you can and don't give a monkey's what you tramp all over in the process. Cables stood on and pulled out of terminals in joint boxes, burst conduits etc. etc. etc. If I get a lighting fault in a recently insulated attic I have a pretty good idea of the cause the minute I stick my hied above the hatch!

Latest posts