Introducing myself...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 27920

Reaction score
Evening all, I have enjoyed lurking around and now took the plunge.  Name is Colin and I currently do very little 'on the tools' but I manage the Electrical Installations school at a large FE college (along with other areas).  I also took up electronics after spending some time on call-outs looking for the star-delta starter on a number of machines and only finding these odd little black and other colour components stuck on some flimsy board.  Needless to say my voltage indicator said there was "something there" but not enough V for it to bite.  Ended up taking it all the way to degree level because I found it so interesting (sad I know).

Anyhoo. If I can be of any help just ask and I will take advantage of the vast experience out there.  I did very little site work or domestic (I hated lifting dirty carpets and 20 year old loft insulation) but did my fair share of industrial/commercial (Mainly self-employed).

Science, principles, maths, electronics, testing & inspection are my favourite areas.

Thanks and look forward to posting.

Hello Colin. :Welcome:

Edit; I just noticed in your viewed profile list that you have put "Training- short course" I thought it was for training that you have had, not what you do :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome Colin, if you don't mind me asking what College do you work at? I'm just asking because I did use to work at Havering College (9 years ago), which is in your area.

Hello Colin. :Welcome:

Edit; I just noticed in your viewed profile list that you have put "Training- short course" I thought it was for training that you have had, not what you do :D
Hi Rob,

I did, because I didn't take an apprenticeship and there wasn't a lot else to choose from!  I (like many) did the 2360 over a couple of evenings a week at college.  I must admit I was kind of surprised not to see "Part Time study whilst working 6 1/2 days a week" as one of the choices.  I am pretty sure that's how most of us over 21's did it

Hi and welcome Colin, if you don't mind me asking what College do you work at? I'm just asking because I did use to work at Havering College (9 years ago), which is in your area.

I notice you said "work" Neil, not sure that's how I would have classed it.. but hey, you turned up most days on time eh! 

I joined this after seeing a few of your posts, I thought I had better stick my head in and make sure you weren't trying to pass yourself off as an electrician (I thought you did plumbing??)  How are the courses going?  Note to you though, a few of the links you kindly put up for the level 2 students asking for help, some of them seem to be broken.  Was the website down yesterday by any chance?

Colin S

Neil, this is what one gets when using your hyperlink: www.electricalcoursesuk.co.uk

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at root@localhost to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Haha I thought it was you Colin but your intro was far too good, especially that "Manage the Electrical School" part, I thought you were just the tea boy when I was there ;). Me pass myself as an Electrician? No not so much anymore, JIB do that for me though. I am just a Trainer these days and a part time Electrician just for friends and family which keeps me on my toes a little.

Yeah the website went down for some unknown reason and I am trying to fix it as we speak.

Good to have a you along mate, its a good forum to be a part of.

Hi

Just getting started on the forum having recently moved into the industry. 

I work for power cable accessories distributor, on the digital marketing side. I originally qualified as a journalist, way before the digital age!

Best wishes

Tim

A Romford boy eh?  
I am now

Haha I thought it was you Colin but your intro was far too good, especially that "Manage the Electrical School" part, I thought you were just the tea boy when I was there ;). Me pass myself as an Electrician? No not so much anymore, JIB do that for me though. I am just a Trainer these days and a part time Electrician just for friends and family which keeps me on my toes a little.

Yeah the website went down for some unknown reason and I am trying to fix it as we speak.

Good to have a you along mate, its a good forum to be a part of.
Good to hear from you. Keeping it short as my phone kee.....

Welcome  to the Forum CPWS  ..I'm sure your experience of college courses etc will be of great assistance to other members. 

You will find you are not alone with your hatred of Dirty carpets & ancient loft insulation   ( I beleive they want us to wallow into that stuff to check condition of cables ......Yeah Right )