Is An Isolator In A Shower/bath Area Acceptable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, OK, sorry I think misunderstanding on my part!

I read pendants and took it as pull cord light switches!!! OOPS!

Sorry.

Yes now I can see what you mean a ceiling rose cord drop & lamp holder as in pendant.

I can see why this may not be allowed, but in the same vein, if the shower switch above is acceptable then a pendant must be, if, the lamp & holder is over 2.25m from the inlet of the outlet of the basin.

As, this would be out of zones.

I thought it was only an SR tbh,

I only code pendants/battenholders, as should be improved, whether they have TRS skirts or not.

I know most councils insist on IP fittings, but I didnt think it was a reg.

Abit of common sense during installation can work wonders, even if it is 'allowed'

Anyone else find it a bit stupid that the 2.25 starts from them floor and not the height of the shower tray? 

Sorry Binky, but the fairly large builder that I install for insist upon baton holder in bathrooms! The daft thing is they used to fit ip fittings but cut backs meant they got the chop!

Sharpend,

I guess that means they are signing for the design & inspection & testing of that aspect of the installation, thus certifying that it is compliant.

512.2.1 is what I would put forward, for the op situation. 

Sidewinder in the description of the zones it refers to finished floor level rather than tray level.

Sidey I've tried everything to get them to change back, all I can say is that I'm glad that I'm not responsible for the signing of test sheets. I refuse to sign on the grounds of principle I'm afraid.

Sidey I've tried everything to get them to change back, all I can say is that I'm glad that I'm not responsible for the signing of test sheets. I refuse to sign on the grounds of principle I'm afraid.
I would agree Sharp.

512.2.1 is what I would put forward, for the op situation. 

Sidewinder in the description of the zones it refers to finished floor level rather than tray level.
TBH Wozz,

It is only something I look at when I teach Regs as I don't "do" such things normally!!!

A discrepancy that needs sorting, though it would depend on the "exact" wording...

Home Office Skirt , I believe , prevents a finger from touching  the lamp cap , that is what we were told in the 3rd edition of the Regs.   Pendants were never allowed in bathrooms .

A batten holder was the minimum level of protection for a light ...totally enclosed was always recommended.

When was it installed, and what regs were applicable when it was installed?

Doc H
Not sure of installation date but possibly between 13th and 14th edition for original fixed wire install ... the shower install most likely between 15th and 16th edition ... so ... RCD not required but still bad practice to put that isolator where it is. There are plenty of places they could have put it as not much has changed to the place. very poor design and install.

But why did the Home Office get involved :)
Not sure of the history , I'd guess it comes from back in the 1950s ,  need to check early Regs .

I Googled it and went to my own post , on here , January 2012  where we were discussing it....SPOOKY !!!

I notice Stepps calls them TRS skirts  , which I'm not familiar with .   TRS was the term we used for rubber flex  as in Tough Rubber Sheathed

Last edited by a moderator:
Pete,

You never put this information to us before.

Very grey area, the law would probably be the Landlord & Tenant Act rather than EAWR TBH.

EAWR would be difficult to apply the L&T act would be easy.

If you check the L&T act then it requires that the premises is safe.

Yes it's a bodge. I agree.

Fail it on Reg 134.1.1 and be done with it! ;)

There is also:

I also bet that you could pull the switch as not suitable for one of the external influences present in the environment as listed in App 5...
apologies for that ... no intention to mislead just wanted to get basic idea of what is good practice and not.

The problem is that because the shower unit is only IPX4 then most accessories would nearly be compliant ...

I want to ensure that I don't get in deep S**t when something goes wrong.  I have got to fit an RCD and downrate the fuse from BS3036 ... into external enclosure. My opinion would be to replace the whole DB and move isolator but the company I contract to wants it done asap and as cheap as possible. I think I will be leaving their services very shortly.

Anyone else find it a bit stupid that the 2.25 starts from them floor and not the height of the shower tray? 
Yup that's what I was thinking!

but buildings can vary and I suppose it has to be taken into account for an average room height, most of which new builds would have enough headroom to allow for that zone.

Thanks for all replies gents. I will post back after I have been back to site to remedy the situation ...

Not sure of the history , I'd guess it comes from back in the 1950s ,  need to check early Regs .

I Googled it and went to my own post , on here , January 2012  where we were discussing it....SPOOKY !!!

I notice Stepps calls them TRS skirts  , which I'm not familiar with .   TRS was the term we used for rubber flex  as in Tough Rubber Sheathed
also TRS glands, as opposed to stuffing glands, TRS were/are the brass variety often used on high temp enclosed metal fittings,

dunno why, maybe its yet another colloquial thing,

:C

NIHE [Northern ireland Housing Executive] insisted on TRS skirts on every light fitting,  :|

Still don't know why 2.25m rule applies. Steam rises, condenses on the lamp holder, light blows, forget to switch light off at switch, go get new lamp, climb up to batten lamp holder, replace lamp, while doing so touches damp lamp holder. ZAP!!

Adammid;  WHY are Special Locations given that specific description?

It is because the hazard is just the same; electrocution but the risk or

probability of a shock is or can be very much higher.

Are you going to go in there and change a lamp without taking the

proper precautions and how would you be dressed at the time?