Is it worth it?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you mostly do short runs around town where the engine doesn't warm up, then petrol would probably be better for you. BUT with most cars now moving to smaller engines, when we last trialed a Nissan Qashqai petrol, is was firkin awful, 5 speed box, and geared to rev the little 1.4 engine - apparently this is good for fuel efficiency. Took it up the local dualcarriage way and spent 20 miles looking for another gear. After years of 2 litre diesels it was awful. We ended up with the diesel version, and this topic has reminded me it's time to give it a good blast and clear the particle filter out

that's what we have now, not had any problems since we bought it about 3 years ago - ex-mobility car. Runs up motorways no problem, nippy around town, and short so easy to park in small spaces. We had a Peugeot 407 estate, which was lovelly, but generally impractical for what it was used for most days, and if we are going up the motorway these days, I tend to take my van (company fuel card)

No mine's a Forrester.  Same floor pan and chassis as the Imprezza but a taller, estate body. Prior to that I had three Legacy estates in a row, and before that an older L series estate.

Every one I have had has done high mileage, current one is 160K and I have had others higher. They still run sweet, never burn or leak any oil and as far as I know All on their orignal clurches. Whoever burned that one out at 120K must be one of those drivers that likes to sit at traffic lights on a hill, holding it on the clutch because they are too lazy to use the hand brake.  I would think it's an engine out job to do the clutch on these.

I like them because they are reliable, have dual ratio 4WD for the same price as any other 2WD car, and will pull just about anything you care to hang on the hook.  And a bit better ground clrearance than most ordinary cars.

Dave, I am considering this : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171983843795?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This one probably nearer to you than me. Its either this or a 5 series Touring. Just sold mine. The Legacy is a 2.0 petrol. What sort of average MPG did you get with yours when you had one?

Expect about 35mpg from a 2L Subaru. That claim of 43mpg must assume a lot of down hill driving.

Cam belt is 60K miles of 5 years on a Subaru, if the service history does not show it has been done, then get it done. I have a thing about cars with "full service history" in that it rarely says WHAT was done at each service, only that a service was done. On my own car I keep full records and I can tell you on what date and at what mileage the oil was changed etc, but because that's not a "dealer service record" it's "worthless"

The non turbo Subaru's have non interference engines so a cam belt breaking is not normally fatal.  On the Legacy the cam belt is quite easy to change, I have done a couple myself. the Forrester is a bit harder, the bonnet is shorter so you have to take the radiator and aircon heat exchanger out just to get enough room to get to the belt.

That car is probably a bit over priced, but it is low mileage for the age and it is from a dealer. If it's in good condition then it may be worth a look.

you may mock. and I know you will.... but this is a well equipped SE model with all the fruit and leather seats etc

I wanted a big comfy estate. Having spoke to the mechs at work and listening to their ideas (all BMW Drivers) this was what I decided on. Not everyones cup of tea but I like em

all the EE's in my area have traded in their aging passat's for 5 series's  they all hang out together outside the sklep! :lol:

I think Bmw have a good reputation in comparison with other German manufacturer's.

Nice car IMO. just can't afford BMW insurance in London  :( E30 325I touring is over 1k, the chocolate teapot (audi a4)is £650 .

Last edited by a moderator:
Bloody hell, my van is about £800ish, if I lived 2 mile up the road it would be about £400

Go figure, just a different postcode, exact same area,,,

:C

Well, picked it up on monday from Manchester, as soon as he drove round the corner in it to pick me up I wanted it. Looks fantastic, goes great and very comfy. Will take a bit of getting used to, especially the idrive thing.

power comes in a bit higher up the rev range - 163bhp but car a bit heavier than last one. idrive is the central control interface that runs all the car systems. Nothing to do with a useless brand of phones and computers