Is Something Is Going Wrong Here...?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

springcrocus

Reaction score
... because each time I drop in here, it seems that there is less and less discussion of an electrical nature going on.

Where are all the people with their problems, general queries and topics for discussion?

I don't claim to have an answer, but it appears that the forum is travelling down the slow road to oblivion. In the past twenty four hours there have been six threads in the General Chat area, two in Jokes, one in Competitions and one in Students but not one in Q&A, Electrician Talk or Inspect/Test which have traditionally (I think) been the busiest sections of the forum.

I respectfully suggest it is time to take a long, hard look at how the forum has changed recently and whether this is adversly affecting the popularity of the forum. At this rate, it wont be long before we don't have a forum, which would be a real shame. Unless the member count and thread count keep increasing, the sponsors are going to dessert in droves which would probably be the final nail.

Does anyone have a magic bullet?

Its the run up to Christmas, and because of the forums success most people are asking less questions because we answer them so quickly.

What most members fail to understand is that not withstanding the regular contributors most members never even post, but prefer to follow and digest information supplied, without ever taking part in any discussion.

This forum is stable, both in leadership and content and will continue to be so. In fact improvements are being made week by week. If you wish to contribute more then please do so, ask questions, and get debates running.

Its the run up to Christmas, and because of the forums success most people are asking less questions because we answer them so quickly.

What most members fail to understand is that not withstanding the regular contributors most members never even post, but prefer to follow and digest information supplied, without ever taking part in any discussion.

This forum is stable, both in leadership and content and will continue to be so. In fact improvements are being made week by week. If you wish to contribute more then please do so, ask questions, and get debates running.
With all due respect, Manator, I don't think that is the answer.

Like many of our members, I also visit alternative forums and each time I do there are numerous threads to catch up on. There appears to be no slowdown on these forums, so it begs the question of why is the same not happening here.

I agree with Slips, I think the new layout is interesting and easy to navigate although the large announcement area at the top when one first arrives on the home page means that the main forum topics are out of sight. I think that is a mistake, but that is just my personal view.

Maybe it's just the upheaval of the last few weeks that is making people reluctant to get involved; I myself have posted less than previously but that has been because there has been less to discuss and I generally don't bother to get involved in non-electrical topics or with sub-forums that do not relate to my areas of interest.

Whatever the reason, the forum appears to be floundering somewhat and I, for one, would love to see it grow back to, and beyond, its former high regard amongst both members and visitors.

Sorry to be a doomsayer, but I am sure many members share my disquiet.

I do indeed share Springcrocus' disquiet, and have so nearly started a similar thread of late.

I would respectfully suggest that Manator's reply sums up fairly accurately the problem. Not I hasten to add in it's content, which is delusional drivel, but in it's tone.

Canoeboy said:
As for the announcement banner, the old forum software had exactly the same announcements placed in exactly the same place ?

And other forums have the google ad banners across the front page at the top?

Every has their opinion and everyone can pick holes but there is no pleasing everyone all of the time

Admin once told me "They will always find something to moan about"

As for posts and members, yes it's been a bit slow but there have been a lot of changes, whcih affects google searches among other things, changes for the better for the whole, without such changes then there may not have been a forum so we shall wait and see...
I have just popped across to three other forums and you are, indeed, correct. However, at each of these forums the topics or sub-forum titles are visible immediately whereas here they are below the screen (at the resolution I use, anyway). What they don't have is a picture gallery which pushes the main content further down. Maybe this is not an appropriate place for the gallery?

I understand what you are saying about Google searches, but people often search with terms relating to their query which means that there should be no change in the hit rates because its the topics that get returned. Surely Google will have cached the same amount of content as before the server change.

I'm not trying to pick holes in everything, I'm trying to be constructive with my thoughts so that others could possibly come up with ideas to help. If you are suggesting that my input is unwelcome, then I will retire gracefully from this thread and continue to support the forum with posts of an electrical nature.

But, please, don't consider for one moment that I am "anti" this forum, or the changes that have taken place. I've been here four and a half years and look forward to another decade at least.

Personally I think that there are a possibly few factors in play...

- Established members have gained as much information and knowledge as they need to carry out 99% of their day to day and therefore don't need to ask as many questions as they used to

- The current financial climate has created a downturn in work,,,, less work = fewer questions

- Newbies (inc DIYers) are being frightened off by the attitude of some of the other forum members.... Eg. "Call an electrician".... I am not totally innocent myself

- Some forum members might not have liked the software change... That's life unfortunately, we needed change and you can't please everyone

I have just popped across to three other forums and you are, indeed, correct. However, at each of these forums the topics or sub-forum titles are visible immediately whereas here they are below the screen (at the resolution I use, anyway). What they don't have is a picture gallery which pushes the main content further down. Maybe this is not an appropriate place for the gallery?
The picture gallery is not at the top of the forum for Guests, Validating and TEF Newbies (less than 10 posts) - Its invisible

start an interesting thread then ;)
I thought I had...

"...I see you have been awarded about 150 scoob points so some people seem to like you and your rantings. I thought these points were originally about building a perception of reputation."

... but you probably wouldn't think anything else I posted that interesting either. :|

Unfortunately I think some members with less experience may be afraid to ask questions, as it takes no time for some (albeit a minority) of the other members to shoot them down in flames.

As a rule I find it to be a helpful and friendly forum, more so than others, but sometimes wince when I see a question basic enough that I know its going to incite criticism as opposed to helpful advice.

I feel that Chrisg may have avalid point TBH   .  Looking back over my 300 years as a sparky ...even after a 6 year apprenticeship and going to my first job as a 21 year old sparks  ....I was still very inexperienced and had there been a Forum I'd have asked questions on it TBH.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand that it may sometimes appear as though members are being shot down by the more knowledgeable members on here (and I have also been a victim). I also don't believe it is meant as such. Electricity is a dangerous thing and some people do seem to think it's OK to just 'give it a go' with no/little experience or knowledge. A forum can offer great advice and support but it cannot make you respect something and show caution towards it in a way that could save your life. Jo-public shouldn't be messing with the juice and although the members on here would like to help everyone that visits they simply wont condone inexperienced, novice work that WILL danger a life.

If you are a learner and can show a level of competence then you will get answers that won't put you out of your safe zone. If you know nothing and have never trained on anything to do with electricity then I afraid you are likely to get very little in return.

Hope that puts the point across.

I notice that "Amateur Sparky"  in his OP felt the need to say     "Go easy on me " before asking his question .

As said somewhere , experienced Sparks won't be asking basic questions but could still be asking about ..say...PV  stuff if they've not done any or Domestic only guys asking about a motor problem .   

Newbies, DIYers, Apprentices , newly trained Sparks , limited scope bods will always be asking the basics.    

I used to ask a lot of questions as an apprentice , ( Smallest job back then would have about 8 Sparks & 4-6 apprentti ) 

Some  apprentices would pretend they knew it all but would be listening intently to the explanations and would try taking the pi$$ like schoolkids until it sunk in that we were there to learn the trade , to soak it all up .

I remember , after going "on the tools" at 21 being sent to help one of the pi$$ takers , also "on the tools"  to get a job finished .

It was a cinema becoming a bingo hall , he'd run a load of pyros from basement to roof to feed the new neon signage .    When I get there he admits that hes in the brown stuff as every pyro is reading a dead short on the megger and all the ends have to be redone .  Gaffer was doing his nut !!!

When I got to the roof I could see that all his pyros were now connected to the neon sign transformers so I disconnect them, return to basement and say megger them again .    They are now clear , he looks at me gone out , how did you know ??   " Because I asked questions while you took the pi$$ "

Fair play,   he had the bottle to apologise . 

Just a final comment  to that job ,  the sign guys fixed all the enormous letters to the building , and they all work , so scaffolding is removed.  The next day it is noticed that the words  RITZ BINGO    has been installed as  RIZT BINGO    :eek:

And on the cafe juke box next door the big hit of the day was  Good Vibrations by The Beach Boys.

All I can say is this forum is the most friendly and helpful electrical forum I hove found. I tried others and didn't think much to the quality of answers.

And other trades are just as bad, I once asked for advice on an expansion vessel for my pressurised hot water tank. Instead of advice, all I got was "you shouldn't be touching that"

I personally dont think theres anything wrong with the forum.  Could just be the time of year december until xmas is a massive rush, booked up weekends and no spare time.  Then you get the xmas and sit down as much as possible eating.  

I thought I had...

"...I see you have been awarded about 150 scoob points so some people seem to like you and your rantings. I thought these points were originally about building a perception of reputation."

... but you probably wouldn't think anything else I posted that interesting either. :|
about 650 actually. Depends what you post. I dont think a 'the forums quiet its all very boring' thread is that exciting. Just post about whats going on in your life that you'd like to tell us about. Electrical or non electrical. Believe it or not we arent here just to take the mick... although some are better at that than others. I like fawlty Towers type humour so tend to be a bit sarcastic at times. A forum is what YOU make it.

You can have a forum with lots of threads that are full of rubbish, you can have a forum with just a hand full of threads but they are all top quality. I wouldn't suggest that this forum is at either of those extremes. hopefully somewhere in a happy balance in between the two. It is worth noting that more questions get asked and topics debated around the times of new issues or amendments to BS7671, also when students are nearing exam periods, or when significant changes to legislation affecting the industry is rife. Many of these issues are quiet at the moment anyway, the new electrical registers are a significant new topic, but I do consider we are in a "calm between amendments" stage of the industry. So most discussion would probably center around specific job queries, which if work is quiet, or members are busy keeping their cash-flow going at the moment it is inevitable that forum traffic may be lighter. And it is impossible to quantify how many prospective new members do not bother to post and what the reasons are for them not posting, so to make any statements that people are scared to post or dislike a layout is very speculative to say the least. 

Doc H.