Is This Acceptable?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultinator

Reaction score
2 additional downlights on landing,
1 additional downlight in bedroom above a dressing table,

1 outdoor socket, (likely to be near to where a kitchen socket already is so no cable run)

Estimated around £250???

Sounds ok to me, whats your location?   I would probably come in around 200quid mark plus vat 240.  The main thing is, is the spark recommended?

Not enough detail to comment. Loft boarded? Stuff to move? Access? Type of accessories? RCD outside socket or not?

Sounds like it could be a good days work - so may be underpriced.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 additional downlights on landing,

1 additional downlight in bedroom above a dressing table,

1 outdoor socket, (likely to be near to where a kitchen socket already is so no cable run)

Estimated around £250???

I will be interested to see how anyone gets this outdoor socket working with no cable, wifi? Personally I would always suggest any outdoor sockets have an indoor double pole switch to isolate when the property is empty or in the event of future maintenance requirements. I would think it perfectly acceptable for someone to quote £250 for the above work, providing they can purchase the materials and get the work complete within a proportional hourly rate and have time to do their certificates and any other admin. Possibly, as has been said it could be a bit cheap.

Doc H.  

There has been a spate of break ins on the new estate near me, electric angle grinders used to remove French/patio doors or windows using the outdoor socket for power!.........always fit an isolator

It is mains downlights maybe £10 each.
Just any half decent IP rated RCD outdoor socket, (which is likely to be mounted directly opposite an indoor one, so t+e straight through

not sure on loft access, shouldnt be too bad as large house. need it to take just the morning though hopefully. Might cost a bit more - maybe £300.

South London, Surrey region

small jobs like this always seem a bit pricey, but you have to remember that it effectively  messes up the whole day, because by the time this has been done, you can't do much else the same day which reduces your earnings.

Have u got more than 1 quote again as others have mentioned I'd say at least half a days work for 1 person + test and cert don't think ull bet it much cheaper and if u do they unlikely to be part p registered

I've just had a call "hi can you tell me what your hourly rate is please? I have a small job which I think will take 1-2hrs at most" me-' well it does depend on the job' him-" I need the fuse box moving a foot to the left" ......... Me-"£100 per hour" click-brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr lmao

luckily I think there is a couple of 'small' things going on over the road so im aiming to be there aswell, 
what is......part p??

Thing is , Alternator , we all have different rates and different overheads , you looked at the job , you know what your rate is , I don't .  

No good me quoting it from Birmingham , it'd be 6 hours travel time for a start . 

For ProDave up in the arctic circle it'd be around £5K ! 

Local to me with no major problems ...£280 ....  darn sarf prices £350 !!!

luckily I think there is a couple of 'small' things going on over the road so im aiming to be there aswell, 
what is......part p??
You're kidding ...right ???

Or are you from behind Hadran's Wall ?

....whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune....Ah !  is this a Part P I see before me ?  Alas poor Part Pee , I knew him , Horatio... 

Think I misread this topic I thought it was some one had been quoted £250 and they had come on here to check the quote with the forum.

Thanks very helpful. I think part p is a nuisance and so never done it, I just write any old scribble on a napkin and hand it over as testing and invoice

Its just a big wined up surely. You don't know how to price a job headbang . You say you don't even know about part p? WTF. I think maybe you ought to try a different trade and leave these jobs to proper sparks that will do a thorough job and give the customer a safe installation. You are obviously 
default_Out%20of%20depth.gif
 . I would leave it to somebody else before 
default_Hits%20the%20fan.gif

Latest posts