Is this the worst install you have seen

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sorry for the poor quality pics, taken from my phone from a distance as the swarthy moustached builders were giving me strange looks. This was the second attempt at this. The PV first went up 10 months ago and it was even in the local paper at how bad it looked, all the panels were then removed. This lot went up last week. The houses along there are opposite a very nice park and are worth around the

I think they will have to be removed very soon as well, if I lived nearby I would be making a complaint.

I would be really interested to know where this is, PM me if you want. cheers

Trouble is who will make them take them down. In a town where I live our foreign friends have built an extension on a house and all the roof has been retiled. The tiles used are totally different to the ones on the other roof. This has been done to save money. Now this may be OK in a back street of a town but on a main road it has spoilt the road and I would think it has devalued the neighboring house also. What has happened in the old days you would have to have approval of materials used not these days it seems.

I wonder if the muppets who made that eye sore stood across the road and looked at the mess they have done to what looks or did look like a nice house

North London---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:53 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:50 ----------

Are there any regs about being able to easily touch the panels, in this case from the Velux windows ?
From what I know you could mount them on a frame sitting on the floor - IIRC Steps has done this

I have Noz, and Im pretty sure there are pics somewhere,

but there is another reg about them being on the roof and being able to touch them, ie you are inside the EZ and the panels being touched being outside the EZ kinda thing.

a lot is dependant on the type of inverter and earthing system too AFAIAA, but I couldnt be sure on that anymore since I dont have my BGB just now, :(

**** me that's horrible! Be honest you Photoshopped that up in half an hour didn't you? If it's real it would have taken LESS time to put up! :) Defies belief. When I looked at the first photo I thought it was access scaffolding the other side NOT a support frame! So sad when expensive kit is badly installed.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I know you could mount them on a frame sitting on the floor - IIRC Steps has done this
Do they not need the frames bonding of you can touch them? So I hear.

Bloody things are an eye sore even when done correctly!

That is superb!!! The neighbours must be furious....

What am I seeing there in that picture?

Firstly some horrible panels mounted flat on the roof, staggered to fit as many in as possible on an awkward roof.

Now I don't like that. That's one reason I limited my own system to just under 2KW, because I could get those in a nice neat rectangle of panels. Any more and I would have been fitting odd panels here and there over the awkward part of the roof, and I just didn't want that as it looks messy.

But going back to the picture, what's that on TOP of the roof? MORE panels mounted on a framework above the apex of the roof?

That won't last beyond the next serious gales if you ask me, it's hideous and looks a total bodge.

Now SURELY that would need planning permission as they have altered the profile of the roof?