Jib Travel Time

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkydude

Reaction score
Hi all, got a Question regarding JIB travel time.

We are working in Bristol which works out at 115 Miles from our shop. Currently we are being paid travel one way which equates to £20.25 for 2.5 hours travel not too bad, however we are not being paid to travel home. which on a friday is not good. we have to leave site at 2.00 to get home in a reasonable time . I have asked the JIB and as usual they speak to you in riddles . See below for the reply i go tfrom them :-

The Period Return Fare for jobs over 100 miles and up to 200 miles from the
Employer's Shop is paid at the full standard rate from the job to the Employer's
Shop, with 4 hours travelling time every three weeks. If your employer is
asking you to return home every Friday then they would need to pay you the
return fare each week but you would only receive the 4 hours travelling time
every three weeks.

Thanks for that , so to clarify we would be paid £20.25 for travel each way there and back as per the handbook rates for the distance of 115 miles PLUS 4 hours pay at normal rates every three weeks.

to which he replied :-

You would only receive the Travelling Time on the journey to the job then an actual fare home and then  the Period Return Fare (4 hours travelling time) every four weeks

My reply was:-

getting there, the only thing is we are travelling in company supplied vehicles ,so in this case how do we stand ? Is it still travel time plus one fare home ? If so what or how is a fare home calculated ??

and from there on they have played it dumb , why can nothing be simple, i am not trying to rip anyone of we just want to be paid for what we are due and the JIB are pretty unhelpful  the handbook is unclear do i just want to know what we are and are not due.

Not that our company obeys any JIB rules for example if you do not hand a timesheet in they are meant to pay you a basic week and the recalculate it in the next wage packet but they just dont pay you !!!

Any help appreciated

Nick

Long time since I came under the JIB TBH  ...interesting to see the repies though.  All seems over complicated.   Although if you leave for home  at 2.00pm on Friday, I assume you are still being paid until 5.00 or whatever?

I would say though, when I was an employee long time ago , if you didn't hand in a time sheet you would'nt be paid TBH.

However , stick around , someone will know about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the 80's when working out of town, the OTA we got I think was £6 per day, had to be on site the same time as everyone else and leave at the same time everyone else.

When staying in digs we had a return train fare once a month on top of the £6 per day, you were only expected to return home once a month.

I expect its all changed now, but when traveling daily and sharing a car each day with 3/4 others, you drove once a week and got £30 per week which was good in those days.

When staying in digs the money covered the digs plus a small meal, providing you were car sharing the rail fare was an added bonus, you also got 12 hours per day for working until 6pm, so a good monthly wage.

Good days, but could not do it now.

Ah!  OTA    I think the best deal I had , pro-rata, was working for a London firm on an MOD job near Lichfield , about 10 miles away from home ,  Sparks wages were about £20/week   less tax   but being on OTA  @ £7.00 /week  taxfree was quite a boost. 

The opposite also happened......worked for a Brum firm for 5 years or so ,office  about 10 mlies from home,  one job they won was  a new swimming baths on my doorstep , I'd have had exes and TT from the office   but being them they put me on Solihull Hospital , near the office and three sparks from near the office on the baths job .    So blokes on both jobs were struggling through the rush hours morning & evening.

They hated to think you were making a buck .

They even had a storeman at the yard , you learned certain tricks with him,  if you asked for  hacksaw blades you'd only get a 10"   as it was cheaper.

Had to always say you were cutting 4"  or 6"  trunking  to get a 12"  .

You could ask for a masonary bit and it was .  "You had one 3 weeks ago, is it worn out ?, I want to see it " .

He also did the pharty jobs & breakdowns but would not give you a bunch of job cards so you could go from one to the other but get exes to & from the office one each ..he made you come back for every new job card .   

They made money from you as we were using our own cars until I started a revolt and anyone doing "Tatting" as we called it , started using the bus.

Cost them a fortune in time and they suddenly sorted out a van and a spark dedicated to breakdowns.   

None of this helps the JIB question  

If your travelling back during normal working hours I can't see you being entitled to travel time

thanks for the replies so far, but as we are 'site starting' our hours are booked as follows , monday  arrive onsite  at 7.30-800 after leaving home at 5.00   book til we finish at  5-6.00  drive half hour to our digs (unpaid as per JIB rules)    travel paid is £20.25 as per the JIB rules   .Tue to friday 6.00 till 6.00 12 hrs onsite , no travel paid to or from digs . Friday book from 6.00 onsite till 2.00 leaving site , no travel or hours paid for home journey.

seems wrong to me as we should at least get the £20.25 for the return journey. but i cant prove it to the powers that be.

Nick

standard practice in my neck of the woods is paying travelling time 1 way ie at half rate. personally I reckon anything upto an hours drive is just travelling to work. I used to drive an hour to work everyday, and certainly didn't get paid time, fuel or expenses for the car. I have to say though, I rarely drag my team to the office before setting out to work, so this saves them a major amount of cummuting time, and van, diesel, etc etc is all paid for. Firkin spoilt in my book :slap

I worked for a firm once where everyone had be at the office at 8.00 am for three reasons :-

1) You had to fill in your time sheet to where you were going that day ( Caused by a family emergency & no one knew where a sparks was)

2) If you were late they could dock your time .

3) No travel time had to be paid as you travelled in their time.

This cost them a fortune TBH as there were sparks milling round in the workshop chatting and filling in time sheets until at least 8.30.  Then  most guys called at the cafe on the way to the job  or were calling at the wholesalers or getting onsite around 9.00 to 9.30  then making tea , do half hours work and stop for tea break.

If you arrived at the office at 8.05  you found 15mins stopped from wage , all that achieved  was guys taking a 1 hour lunch break instead of 1/2 hr and finishing 1/2 hr earlier on the night plus a 1/2 hr tea break in the morning and a 1/2hr break in the afternoon.

So about 5 hrs actual productive work onsite ................   Oh well at least they saved paying all that TT.   :C   headbang

Just remembered ..they had an Austin van with the worst brakes in  the world , everyone refused to drive it  so there it sat , taxed & insured while everyone was waiting for steps , ladders, towers ,materials etc to be dropped onsite . 

One good thing I remember ........  a young sparks was struggling to pay bills (nothing changes)  and was discovered doing some wiring in the shop next door to where he was supposed to be .

He was calling in the office to be sacked, gaffer says why did you do it?

"I can't manage , the bills are stacking up and now the Council tax is in"  

The gaffer looked at him then told him to bring all the bills in .   He kept his job , they paid all his bills to date and paid his council tax . 

Latest posts