Job Advice - what to ask

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi

Sent a cv to a company advertising apprenticeships, and im about to do a follow up call to discuss the job

I have 3 questions that hopefully you could provide advice to

1. what things should i ask over the phone & what questions should be kept for an interview (if i get that far)

2. if by the end of the conversation if it seems to be going well should I ask for an interview or should i wait for the person on the phone to ask?

3. any other pieces of information that would be useful

regards :)

I would allow the conversation to run and only ask any questions if prompted or you do not understand anything that they have said.

If it goes well on the phone then tell them you would look forward to an interview, at a conveniant time for the employer.

Find out as much as you can about the company, what type of work they do, where are the main areas that they operate in.

Questions should be basic if not covered by the interview, hours expected to work, transport arrangements, who will be directly in charge of your ongoing training and anything you do not understand.

Be smart polite and to the point but not blunt, if you are asked any questions try to answer fully, not just a yes and no answer, unless of course that is all that is required.

One main question you will be asked is why you want to be an electrician, and what makes you think you can contribute to the team.

When I have gone for jobs in the past I have always done a bit of research on the company on the internet and tried to drop in a ferw of the bits of information I've found out to make me look pro active and interested in the company. I wouldn't ask about money until the second interview if they don't mention it. Most questions are best left to the interview, and if the guy sounds busy then don't try and keep him on the phone too long, when its an interview he has time put aside to talk to you but on a call out of the blue he hasn't so may want to get on with other work.

When going for an apprentiship I think the most important thing is to come accross as keen but not a know it all. If it was me employing an apprentice I would take on someone who was keen but knew nothing to someone who didn't seem as keen but knew a bit.

Lastly good luck and if this one doesn't work out then don't give up and try again.

thanks for the advice everyone,

so the best thing really is to just ask if you have time to discuss the cv and let the person on the phone start the conversation & go from there?

thanks for the advice everyone,so the best thing really is to just ask if you have time to discuss the cv and let the person on the phone start the conversation & go from there?
sounds good to me

:good luck:

Let us know how you get on! :D

I used to do a fair bit of interviewing to recruit new apprentices, certainaly agree with the above regarding being keen and interested. I also used to ask about about any technical jobs they have done, if the candidate couldn't think of anything I used to prompt them by saying something along the lines of 'anything at all, fixing a bike, helping out with a car repair, putting up shelves'. Again it all comes down to showing that you are keen to get involved. Don't make something up if you haven't done it because I used to then probe a little deeper to find out exactly what you did on this job.

Good luck Steve

that went poorly ?:| the one advertising for apprentices told me that they are not even sure that they will be taking on apprentices bad day explode , i phoned another 3 companies because of word going around and nothing sadly, was starting to think before today that it was slowly picking up again but im not so sure now :(

based in south wales, im aming for large companies rather than small firms as the progression up to higher positions might be more difficult in the small size companies

based in south wales, im aming for large companies rather than small firms as the progression up to higher positions might be more difficult in the small size companies
Good luck then mate ... Let us know how you get on

I would kick that last idea of yours into touch, Trainy , there are so few jobs ,especially for apprentices. Your concern at the moment is to get a job and get your training done and stop thinking about promotion and progressing upwards . Learn to walk before you think about running. You have a 4-5 year training period to get through first.

You can often get as good training at a small firm as a big one , hopefully they will do more than house bashing only .

There is a scheme running at the moment through the job centers where you get full benifits for 6 weeks whilst in employment under the try a trade/job scheme.

Contact your local job center for information, and then get in touch with local electrical contractors and offer 6 weeks free labour to prove yourself as a worthy employee.

I would kick that last idea of yours into touch, Trainy , there are so few jobs ,especially for apprentices. Your concern at the moment is to get a job and get your training done and stop thinking about promotion and progressing upwards . Learn to walk before you think about running. You have a 4-5 year training period to get through first. You can often get as good training at a small firm as a big one , hopefully they will do more than house bashing only .
+10

Some of the best QS's that I have met on big firms start off in small firms.AndyGuinness
I wouldnt say Im a good QS but I started with a one man band, went to a 5 sparks and 3 apprentices place(I was still an apprentice).

then a 7 sparks 3 apprentices,

subbied for quite a few years,

chargehand for a 100 sparks(ish) firm,

subbied a bit more

now a QS for a builder with about 150 on the books with subbies(of all sorts)

start low, aim high.

it can only get better,

plus, IMO, you will learn so much more with a small firm.

its in their interest to get you to learn so they can make money from you.

bigger firms can carry you easier without you learning so much.

Only mentioned career path as its something to look at if you eventually want to move up and become a designer after a few years. Thanks for the advice tho but the only problem now is that im completing the 2330 lv3 next month and all thats left is the 17th ed + 2391/2392 and building regs to complete (and nvq 3 if i eventually get an apprenticeship)

all thats really needed is experience to make the regs ect blend in easier .....