Just pricing a job....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Domestic environment, where first fix is completed, but the buider (who employs the sparx) has been getting greedy, and they`ve tossed `em out on completion of first fix..........

I don`t know who the sparx is (yet) ; but he`s going to have to co-sign for construction, AND sign for design. That could prove difficult:

They`ve got 98 GU10 downlighters in the 2 storey property; Lighting appears to have been arranged in 2 radials (no paperwork provided) of 1.0mm. So issues with L1 are probably the least of the issues! (LEDs anyone?)

Full refurb; but no smoke alarm wiring (?!?) - but he HAS installed 6 core alarm cable (customers don`t want an alarm, he told `em it HAD to go in on a refurb.) - they`re routed along with the LV wiring (so band segregation is going to be a difficult box to tick).

CU is on an inside wall, meter in a cabinet outside. 16mm tails and 10mm EC, routed through the walls and ceiling!!!!! Rip THAT out & chuck some 25mm SWA in 1st job.......

No dimmers in sight, 40-odd DSOs, HDMI, switching (2,3,4, grid, bobs-your-uncle etc.). I just hope he`s marked things up :red card

I don`t particularly like the looks of the job, but I know the customers, and I NEED the work, TBH......

I`m suggesting the "other guy" provides the cert, and I`ll carefully sign my bits, after confirming exactly what I`m signing for.

Your thoughts?

personally it appears the type of job thats not been done to a very good standard, so i would be suggesting that you check all routes even if that means lifting floors,

98 downlights on 2 circuits is very excessive, id be very wary of energising all those lights on just circuits :coat

my calcs without cable lengths etc is as follows,

98 light fittings/downlights divide 2 circuits = 49 lights per circuit

49 lamps at 20 watt each lamp = 980 watts

980 watts divide 230 volts = 4.3 amps

6 amp trip covering 1.0mm rated at max current rating 11 amps, is just within, BUT thats at 20 WATTS per lamp,

35 watts per lamp = 1715 Watts = divide 230 v = 7.45 Amps

50 Watt lamps = 10.66 amps on 230v supply, so the best youd get from this is 20 watts lamps on all fittings.

circuit design should have been as follows, 1.5mm twin and earth, supplying max of say 15 down light each circuit =

50 watt = 750 watts = 3.26A

35 watt = 525 watts = 2.28A

20 watt = 300 watts = 1.3A

much better design, 3 circuits for down stairs and 3 circuits for upstairs i would have suggested. hope that helps kme

Oh, I agree mate - already done all that (the DLs are supplied with 50W lamps, and the installer (I`m not going to call him a spark) knew this.........

BUT, when we bring L1 compliance in, they need to have a lot of CFL or LED anyway...........

Bit of a `mare - on the one hand I hope the installer comes back to `em, and finishes it off - how they`ll laugh when they have to go outside to the meter cupboard to reset the RCD covering the tails........., not to mention the issues with putting on the lights in too many rooms at once!!!!!!!!, `cos I think he`s planning to use the 50W lamps throughout

but whats stopping the client changing to 50 watts in the future ?

already answered ^^^^^^^ :D :D:D:D

not a lot rugbymacc personally i think id be recommmending a rewire of those ligting feeds and splitting up that lot if i was going to be sorting this little mess out, the only thing youll probably find is the installer :eek: :coat i mean diy joe :slap will slap a 10 amp trip in on the 1mm :coat

The plasterers have just finished mate - they`re ready for 2nd fix to start - kitchen worktops coming Friday..... ;)

Anyway. Just dropped the quote off - don`t think they`ll bite.

But, if they use the same numpty, I`m going to grass im. :innocent

Going LED might be problematic the ones I fit are 15 or so per B type breaker, according to the instructions.

It sounds like the type of job that's going to have problems all the way, I'd want to re-design and rip the lot out for a proper job.

Keep us informed on how it's going..

Best of Luck , Mike.

What will happen is KME's quote will be given to other sparkies and asked to beat it

friend or no friend.......

or they will show the other sparky how much it will cost to fix

But, if they use the same numpty, I`m going to grass im. :innocent
Who will you grass him to kme? Will anyone care? headbang

LABC,

it doesnt comply as it is and if he signs the cert to say it does then that would be *[insert big word of your choice here cos I cant think how to say it in English]* .

sorry :Blushing

EDIT, got it,

* falsifying a legal document*.

:)

Yup, to you all - that is the way I think it`ll go, TBH.

The "person who did this" through the builder has been back to see the customer today, apparently. I bet he`s going to take it on himself, rather than through the builder............

Yup, to you all - that is the way I think it`ll go, TBH.The "person who did this" through the builder has been back to see the customer today, apparently. I bet he`s going to take it on himself, rather than through the builder............
i hope you gave him his :coat

Would change all fittings to CFLs - twist lock cast fittings from Denmans will take lamps, and use 64m hole, look nicer, and hold their colour better. Explain to customer massive leccy bill saving to justify.

Latest posts