LABC Part P help please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paultrim

Reaction score
Hi all, quick background I am a professional consultant qualified to carry out EICR(C&G2391 etc 4 yr electrical engineering apprenticeship) HNC ONC electrical engineering, etc. If carry out installation work in my fathers house(alteration to existing kitchen power & lighting circuits and install of cooker supply) I understand that building control have to be informed but do I really need to pay them to inspect what I have done?? Even tho I issue EICRs ? I don't usually carry out installs or minor works or 'foreigners' and I am doing the work to help with my fathers busy work load on his refurb.

Your advice is much appreciated gents.

I would contact the LABC and explain the situation. They may be happy with you certifying compliance if not get a registered sparky in to do the work it will likely be cheaper and faster than getting the LABC to do it.

Good luck

Thanks smilers.

Seems daft that I can carry out the install competently and could issue an EICR on the property as long as I don't tell LABC that it was myself who carried out the alterations.

I would bet my hourly rate the chap from LABC is less qualified than me.

No as it's only the installation of kitchen units/carcasses and a new cooker. I am altering the location of various socket outlets and spurs and also adding some light fittings to work tops, ceiling and kick boards. I am also installing a supply to an electric cooker.

I doesn't require any structural survey of the property.

Download a free copy of Approved document P...

then read Page 11...

Section b. " where the installer is not registered with a Part P competent person self-certification scheme but qualified to complete BS7671 installation certificates"

Paragraphs 1.21, 1.22 & 1.23

that will explain the procedure you have to follow !..

Guinness

To the OP, I think by definition you will fall into the "middle" category as recognized by Part P; that of somebody competent to complete the necessary certificates but NOT a member of one of the approved schemes e.g. NICEIC, ELECSA, NAPIT etc. Thereafter each LABC may have different views on the subject - again the part P document notes this.

Take mine for instance, in a nut shell they said; "Yes we note you are qualified so no problems in you doing ALL the work and CERTIFYING it yourself....as it's notifiable we'll just send a chap round to take a look that everything's in order....BTW you will STILL NEED TO NOTIFY US BEFORE WORK STARTS AND PAY US THE

In your case, with your qualifications, [i presume that if you do EICR,s you have all the testing kit required] I would just do it......

illegal?? Yes, so what... The local authority are legally obliged to keep the roads in a safe state, take away your rubbish without complaining that the bin lid is 2 inches open, let you sell bananas by the pound, and NOT allowed to mark up road signs in meters.... Think any of this bothers them???

john...

It is debateable whether it is even lawful for them to charge at all....

Here is the legal basis for them charging;

As in the 1998 Regulations, the 2010 Regulations authorise LAs to charge for carrying out the five main building control functions relating to building regulations - i.e. checking plans, carrying out inspections of building work in connection with plans, and checking and inspecting work covered by building notices, reversion and regularisation applications. These are referred to as

It is debateable whether it is even lawful for them to charge at all....Here is the legal basis for them charging;

As in the 1998 Regulations, the 2010 Regulations authorise LAs to charge for carrying out the five main building control functions relating to building regulations - i.e. checking plans, carrying out inspections of building work in connection with plans, and checking and inspecting work covered by building notices, reversion and regularisation applications. These are referred to as

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole Part P fiasco, created by a bunch of Scammers in DCLG Buildings Division with the assistance of the Schemes, have been responsible for damaging Our Trade.

DCLG gave LABC responsibility for Part P of the building regulations, then stated that LABC could not charge, to bring someone in to inspect electrical work, as they did not have expertise.

Then NAPIT with a bit of help from the NICEIC, provided some basic training for LABC, probably thinking that a two day course is safe?.

Then DCLG allowed LABC to charge for 3rd party inspections,