Laptop Problem . . Help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well....

It's deffo the drive-it isn't even spinning up.

Just off to look for a replacement- Samsung said they'd replace under warranty, but it'll take ten days or so. I don't want to be without it that long..

Only question is, if I just change the drive, and get the backup onto it, I won't have windoze on there!

Am I right in assuming that I cannot recover ANY data from the drive, if it doesn't spin up?

I may have to send it back, just to get the os reinstalled :(

If all else fails, try the fridge/freezer method,

But, if you go that route, as soon as you start the spin up, DO NOT STOP,!!!

Make sure the clone is ready and running as soon as you spin the disc.

what OS was on it,?

Just off to look for a replacement- Samsung said they'd replace under warranty, but it'll take ten days or so. I don't want to be without it that long..

Only question is, if I just change the drive, and get the backup onto it, I won't have windoze on there!

9 months old.. is that the PC is 9 months old...  or just the drive???

If the PC is only 9 months old where did you buy it from...

Surely they should replace it for you...  including equivalent operating system ???

& faster than 10 days!!

Fit for purpose Sale Of Goods and all that!!

Or money back so you can buy an alternative within a day or so!

Sorry to be daft

Albert: Can you explain previous post, for a thicko ?

n.b. it was on windoze 7

M
The idea of freezing an HDD is that it might in fact be "jammed" - sometimes you'll hear a duff one just making a repetitive clicking. The idea is that over time the fast rotating platter(s) inside become a bit warped and stick on the reading head.

You take the drive out and slip it in a couple of freezer bags one inside the other. Make sure it's sealed up tight. Then you bury the drive in the freezer (somewhere where it won't get knocked) for an extended period say 12 to 24 hours. You then need to be quick when you take it out and reconnect. With luck the plattens will have shrunk through simple contraction for everything to spin freely again and you'll be able to read the drive and extract the data. Have a think about what you want and get that first. Of course as the drive warms up the platten will expand and may jam up again so you might need to repeat it.

TBH though I know the theory I've never got it to work! I dropped a 400GB media player and tried the disc out of that in the freezer - guess it was a bit more serious than a bit of warping!

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, NO LAW WHATSOEVER says you cannot secretly tape record a conversation with someone AND use it as evidence. [bugging phones is different This is, or was, [might be superseded] prohibited by something in the telecommunications act]

I asked a police woman about this once, as i did just such a thing.... Caught care home staff abusing a disabled person, so i taped them and took the tape to the police. I asked the police THEIR view on tape recording, they said that people taped them, and they did not like it but there was nothing they could do..

I know a fellow that got caught kerb crawling. Unhappily for them, there was a reporter recording and filming it all as they were working on a joint thing with the police. This chap asked the police to stop recording him only to be told; "it is a public place, we can record what we like!"

Obviously this does not apply to cameras in suit cases etc, used to look up girls skirts!! [nooooooowwwwwww, theres an idea!!] [only joking!!!!]

john..

john

However a lot of companies are now saying on the terms and conditions which if you purchase you are accepting the terms and conditions that if after 30 days the unit fails it must be returned to the manufacturer

So what do you do, you could complain all you like but that wont get your product fixed any time soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
The idea of freezing an HDD is that it might in fact be "jammed" - sometimes you'll hear a duff one just making a repetitive clicking. The idea is that over time the fast rotating platter(s) inside become a bit warped and stick on the reading head.

TBH though I know the theory I've never got it to work!
I can't but wonder is that an urban myth?

There is a similar one about putting your car radio in the freezer if you forget its "radio code"

The car radio thing comes from discharging caps/batteries due to the low temperature, but, I've never heard of it working TBH.

The HDD thing, again another urban myth?

I have tried it, with a clunker, it did not work.

If you speak to data recovery "experts" they don't believe it works.

The car radio. Thing was to do. With. Wiping the internal batter/capacitor, I'd. Put that down to urban. Myth.

The hdd is fairly accepted. But very. Dodgy. It's. A last resort only.

Hi Steve,

The companies can say what they like and put anything they like in their terms and conditions, it is all meaningless drivel. In fact, even ATTEMPTING to get people to sign away their rights under the sale of goods act is a criminal offence in its own right. That is why in tiny print they ALL say "nothing in here blah blah affects your statutory rights"

If they were funny with me, i would just go and help myself to one... Let them phone the police, do not think they would get far, go to court?? I think not, publicity is the last thing they want. As it happens there was someone in the newspaper a while ago did just this.

If you bought it using a credit card, [and it was more than £100] then in any event, the CARD ISSUER has to give you your money back anyway, this is part of the consumer credit act, seems mean on the card company, but there we are!!

Or you could take a more direct approach...

read this...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1254086/Comet-surrenders-picketing-pensioners-faulty-laptop.html

The shop people are just liars....

john

Yes, that is right!! YOU did not buy it from Samsung, YOU bought it from PC World, THEY are the ones that have to replace it. Go there, tape record what they say, and go from there...

john...
This is exactly right .  Its become a common excuse to pass you off to the manufacturer .  There used to be an excellent consumer rights  programme on local radio here and that came up almost every other day .  Retailers from car dealers to nationwide electricals were doing it on a regular basis .  Also quoting a 20 day returns ruling .  

Look at it like this...

Say you go to a chip shop and buy cod and chips. Say the fish is off and makes you ill. From whom do you seek redress, the chip shop, or some trawler men in Grimsby... [showing my age there, make that trawler men in spain...]

john...