lath plaster

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordy71

Reaction score
Hi i have read the previous threads but im just looking for an answer as to whether its ok to install downlighters in lath plaster ceilings. I know it will be a pain from an installation aspect but i want to know if its ok from a fire hazard point. I will be replacing the existing ones with fire rated and there are no signs of smouldering. Thanks

Hi i have read the previous threads but I'm just looking for an answer as to whether its ok to install downlighters in lath plaster ceilings. I know it will be a pain from an installation aspect but i want to know if its ok from a fire hazard point. I will be replacing the existing ones with fire rated and there are no signs of smouldering. Thanks
Right...

Now I read this that you imply fire-rated fitting will reduce the risk of the light setting fire to the lath & plaster? :eek:

( If I have got me pants on me head again I appologise.. ) :p

BUT..

1/ Fire rated fittings are to reduce the passage of smoke between living compartments.

2/ It is nothing to do with the light fitting setting fire to the surrounding building structure.

:C

Consider:-

Many down lights are fitted onto or into wardrobes, bathroom cabinets, kitchen wall units, mounted directed on/in wood or chipboard construction.

IF any fitting got so hot that it was likely to cause combustion of the immediate surrounding material then....

I guess it would be exceptionally dangerous!!!!

Think if the unsuspecting homeowner wanted to adjust the angle of an eyeball or do a bit of decorating near by and accidentally touch the fitting..

Whist may be a tad warm...

It wont be getting that hot..

Fire rated or NON fire rated..

You only need fire rated if you want to stop smoke from a fire in the room below getting through to a room above to rapidly!

If I have miss read you intentions then again sorry..

but that's how your question appears to me?

Lath & plaster...

Just need a good quality cutter...

and something to capture all the dust and carp that flies off!!

GuinnessGuinness

Right...Now I read this that you imply fire-rated fitting will reduce the risk of the light setting fire to the lath & plaster? :eek:

( If I have got me pants on me head again I appologise.. ) :p

BUT..

1/ Fire rated fittings are to reduce the passage of smoke between living compartments.

2/ It is nothing to do with the light fitting setting fire to the surrounding building structure.

:C

Consider:-

Many down lights are fitted onto or into wardrobes, bathroom cabinets, kitchen wall units, mounted directed on/in wood or chipboard construction.

IF any fitting got so hot that it was likely to cause combustion of the immediate surrounding material then....

I guess it would be exceptionally dangerous!!!!

Think if the unsuspecting homeowner wanted to adjust the angle of an eyeball or do a bit of decorating near by and accidentally touch the fitting..

Whist may be a tad warm...

It wont be getting that hot..

Fire rated or NON fire rated..

You only need fire rated if you want to stop smoke from a fire in the room below getting through to a room above to rapidly!

If I have miss read you intentions then again sorry..

but that's how your question appears to me?

Lath & plaster...

Just need a good quality cutter...

and something to capture all the dust and carp that flies off!!

GuinnessGuinness
pantsonhead.gif

Yes thanks for your replies guys, i do realise fire rated is to prevent the spread of fire, maintain the fire barrier and not less likely to cause one.

Latest posts