Replacing existing ceiling coving lighting with LED strip lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve2205

Reaction score
Hi I am removing an old ‘Tokistar’ lighting system. I have purchased a 12/24v driver and the LED strips. With the existing system there is a double cable running from the switch through the length of the system. How do I connect the 2 cables to the input section of the driver?
Thanks
Steve

What voltage is the existing lighting running on and where are you hoping to install the new LED driver
I'm thinking you are going to have to locate where the existing lighting string is connected to the switched supply probably via a junction box which could be in a roofspace or ceiling void

Hi both and thanks for your responses.

The existing does not seem to have a transformer and I am sure it is 240v .

The strip and driver will be located in the coving. I am assuming that the mains leads from the light switch will go straight into the transformer driver? The big question is as there are twin cables coming from the switch, how do I connect?

You are really asking how to modify something that we can only imagine what it is like.
Are you sure those lamps you pictured are on mains voltage ? I've not seen anything like them and they don't look like mains lamps.
However, my basic approach would be to remove all the old "special" wire back to the switch and run new cable from the switch to your new LED driver, which will need to be close to the end of the LED strip.. It's all really dependant on your specific location/construction/accessibility.

You are really asking how to modify something that we can only imagine what it is like.
Are you sure those lamps you pictured are on mains voltage ? I've not seen anything like them and they don't look like mains lamps.
However, my basic approach would be to remove all the old "special" wire back to the switch and run new cable from the switch to your new LED driver, which will need to be close to the end of the LED strip.. It's all really dependant on your specific location/construction/accessibility.
Thanks, you are right probably best to remove the switch cover, it’s a multi switch plate and trace it back. Definitely no inline transformer, I think they are quite unusual expensive lights and they do get very hot! They are from these people http://tokistar.com/

Sorry to harp on the same theme, but I've found some lamps of that brand and superficially similar and they are definitely 24 volt. https://www.ebay.com/itm/192887390201
So, are these your lamps? Are they perhaps wired in series, like old style christmas tree lamps? If you take one out do another nine go out?
Otherwise, are you ABSOLUTELY sure there isn't a transformer? One could be wired in circuit before the switch instead of after it.

Hi both and thanks for your responses.

The existing does not seem to have a transformer and I am sure it is 240v .

The strip and driver will be located in the coving. I am assuming that the mains leads from the light switch will go straight into the transformer driver? The big question is as there are twin cables coming from the switch, how do I connect?

The ONLY safe approach with anything electrically related is to assume that all of your assumptions are completely wrong!!
Until you have Proved anything you are generally..... "pi55ing in the wind"... "Dancing on a knife edge"... etc....

You NEED to confirm 100% what voltage these lamps work off before changing anything!

🍻

Thanks everyone for your replies I have taken the cover off the switchboard and it as a per photos, there does not appear to be a negative attached to the switch in question.
If there is a transformer it is hidden in the recess of the ceiling overhang which is all sealed and I can only pull the cable so far.
Any further advice?4A38CC27-D6D7-4E79-AA47-3CEB193272BC.jpeg6103215F-BB01-4F2D-AE50-7F456692D08C.jpeg4A38CC27-D6D7-4E79-AA47-3CEB193272BC.jpeg

This is a photo of the existing lights, which as suggested are in series but most of the bulbs are blown but the few remaining do still light up.0904604E-B065-4566-B1D7-5D660281CA10.jpeg0904604E-B065-4566-B1D7-5D660281CA10.jpeg

I have exposed the wires at the end of the series and there is only a single line of wires in each one! So no indication of live or neutral see attached.

I have looked at the eBay listing for the bulbs and yes they look the same, alas though none of mine have any markings on but it would appear that they are therefore 24v, can I assume that I could attach a 24v led strip directly to this cable? and if so how do I do so if I do not know which wire is live and which is neutral?
Thanks again.F83A62F5-3D13-48EB-AA20-1688D7C0623C.jpeg

NO! Do not attach the led strip to anything except the output of the driver you have bought for the purpose.

It looks likely that there is a neutral in that switch box but I really think you ought to have an electrician connect up between the supply and driver unit.

Thanks for advice Geoff, it’s frustrating as all I am trying to do is make the house more economical by replacing an updated system with a low energy alternative. I just replaced an over counter fluorescent tube system with the driver and 12v led’s and it was straightforward.

Yes, from your point of view it is frustrating, after all it's just a few coloured wires and some lights, anyone knows how to connect that?

Electricity does not take prisoners, get it wrong and.............no one here wants you or your loved ones get electrocuted through your error, the fact you clearly do not understand even the basics, makes it even more important that in this instance you should get someone in to do the job for you.

Yes, from your point of view it is frustrating, after all it's just a few coloured wires and some lights, anyone knows how to connect that?

Electricity does not take prisoners, get it wrong and.............no one here wants you or your loved ones get electrocuted through your error, the fact you clearly do not understand even the basics, makes it even more important that in this instance you should get someone in to do the job for you.
Wow! rather harsh and a little patronising, clearly I do know the basics and the danger hence the reason I am asking for advice. No worries I won’t be touching it until I fully understand what I am dealing with. Meanwhile thanks for your advice and time!

Wow! rather harsh and a little patronising, clearly I do know the basics and the danger hence the reason I am asking for advice. No worries I won’t be touching it until I fully understand what I am dealing with. Meanwhile thanks for your advice and time!
While it might seem harsh to you and you assume you know the basics you appear not to be equipped with any basic test equipment and are relying on assumptions in the hope you guess it right and it causes no problems while electrocution can be one unfortunate outcome there can also be a fire risk
The advice given is not unfortunately what most want to hear and some do take offence but it must be viewed as being in their best interest and that of other family members living in the property

I have looked at the eBay listing for the bulbs and yes they look the same, alas though none of mine have any markings on but it would appear that they are therefore 24v,
You cant make that assumption

can I assume that I could attach a 24v led strip directly to this cable?
No, definitely not

and if so how do I do so if I do not know which wire is live and which is neutral?
You dont know whether the existing lights are fed from a transformer or a DC supply, you really need DC for LED's, often 12v.

Latest posts