lighting query

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My assessor wanted to know why so many people still use loop at light method,?

I very seldom do, my ow place is a mix of switch direct to light, live to light and switch to light, live to switch, 

As a guy I work with said, my wiring is to the commonly used paddy method, 

make it up as you go along as to what works best for the situation, 

Why so many people are stuck as to, this is how its always been , beats me

The glands, well, more than one cable fits, so yes, they are suitable for more than one cable, :C

A lot of non 'standard' stuff in that place, and not a single thing from assessor apart from wondering why I done it the way I had, he quite liked the non 'conventional' approach tbh,

The standard wiring method is for inclusion in the “ABC series of illustrated book of house wiring”

Anything different overloads the neural paths in the brain of the rooky electrician.

electricalworkforDummiescopy.jpg.ccbdd2527c570bfee301951297850c12.jpg

Before my time.

It seems the box was made by Hartley Electromotive who made wiring systems in the 1930’s.

The system is still in use for modular buildings and on industrial plants. Like anything it’s horses for courses, it suited what I wanted and so I used it. I do know one thing, it uses more cable than three plate wiring but the convenience of all connections in one spot outweigh the cost.

http://www.surewire.co.uk/

I can understand using the method for top floor lighting but not ground floor lighting if your intention is to hide the JB under the floor even if the connectors are MF. If I was to use the method on the ground floor then I would hide the JB in a storage cupboard or similar so there was easy access.  IMO it would be bad practise to have a hidden joint box doing all your lighting on a new build or rewire even with MF connectors.

I was working to the 14th edition. There was no requirement for MF connectors, the ones that were available were carp.

I take it you’re one of the “I don’t understand it, therefore it must be wrong” brigade.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will confess to having non MF JB's under the boards @ home.

Also looped @ the fitting lighting.

Just because it was easier.

If I was able to put up with more disruption, then I would change to a central accessible JB & wire from there.

It would just make life so much easier.

I was working to the 14th edition. There was no requirement for MF connectors, the ones that were available were carp.

I take it you’re one of the “I don’t understand it, therefore it must be wrong” brigade.

No I fully understand it.......its about as basic as a circuit can be.

I will confess to having non MF JB's under the boards @ home.

Also looped @ the fitting lighting.

Just because it was easier.

If I was able to put up with more disruption, then I would change to a central accessible JB & wire from there.

It would just make life so much easier.

That was my reasoning, I knew once the darkroom was set up there was no chance of the floor coming up again. Hence spare cables run between every set of joists, ready for when SHMBO changed her mind yet again.

Use the system once and you’ll wonder why you ever pratted about getting various cables in to a ceiling rose. But as I said the down side is it uses a bit more cable, the up side, quick to install.

Latest posts