Domestic lighting circuit problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys, so do you think I should have it looked at, its a 4 year old Persimmon house the electrical was done by Evens a big company in the area.

What strikes me is that few the so called "green", requirements, particularly heat pumps, appear to be used on the new developments around me. Even solar panels only seem to be fitted as standard on a minority of houses.
I passed a site yesterday, still a field, being prepared for development, where a massive new gas main was being installed. That won't be needed soon if we are to believe the BS we are constantly fed.

What strikes me is that few the so called "green", requirements, particularly heat pumps, appear to be used on the new developments around me. Even solar panels only seem to be fitted as standard on a minority of houses.
I passed a site yesterday, still a field, being prepared for development, where a massive new gas main was being installed. That won't be needed soon if we are to believe the BS we are constantly fed.
look up Sherford, Plymouth on google maps, it's an entire new town of around 40,000 houses, there's solar panels on one building. In Germany they have to drill down for ground source by law on every new build, although not actually install the pump. But what really gets me is that it would not be hard to add the extra required insulation for passive house standards, and not have central heating at all. A friend built his own passive house, he has a single electric heater for the very coldest weather, and generally only uses that if they have been away for a few days, when there's been no one in the huse generating heat, cooking etc . It's just ruddy house builders being twots that stops these things happening.

look up Sherford, Plymouth on google maps, it's an entire new town of around 40,000 houses, there's solar panels on one building. In Germany they have to drill down for ground source by law on every new build, although not actually install the pump. But what really gets me is that it would not be hard to add the extra required insulation for passive house standards, and not have central heating at all. A friend built his own passive house, he has a single electric heater for the very coldest weather, and generally only uses that if they have been away for a few days, when there's been no one in the huse generating heat, cooking etc . It's just ruddy house builders being twots that stops these things happening.
Passivhaus standards are a bit more onerous than just adding a some insulation, air tightness of the property is a critical aspect amongst other things, as an example of what is required Retrofit Passivhaus the guy who did this also built a new veterinary surgery and is the vet

Passivhaus standards are a bit more onerous than just adding a some insulation, air tightness of the property is a critical aspect amongst other things, as an example of what is required Retrofit Passivhaus the guy who did this also built a new veterinary surgery and is the vet
Air tightness is also part of new builds these days. I found an article on the extra costs a while ago. It reckoned it was around £10k, but as these are nearly always bespoke built properties, I suspect your average new build estate house could be done for less. You need an air handling unit to make them wirk, so there's some running costs to that, but eliminating central heating is a major saving.