Lights in my house keep tripping - advice please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't on the face of it, appear to have too many CPC's (earths) in there

I do think you need a better spark AND insist on a description of work / tests under taken to be with their invoice ..........
Yes, I think you’re right - not one person has given me a detailed account of their fault finding steps. This has gone on for months

OP - how old is your property?
Built in 1940’s, refurbished last year with partial rewire  (full rewire supposed to have been around 2000)

Built in 1940’s, refurbished last year with partial rewire  (full rewire supposed to have been around 2000)

Sadly I have to tell you that those cables appear to date from about 1960 to early 1970s

Yes, I think you’re right - not one person has given me a detailed account of their fault finding steps. This has gone on for months

Thats pxss poor.

When I do fault finding I list the steps taken and relevant test results on my invoice 

As with all good pics they have been omitted for clarity!! 

Is there any pattern to the tripping? I would recommend you keep a diary of when it trips

Time of day? use of certain light(s), people walking upstairs?

What is actually tripping? MCB? RCD?
It varies, sometimes it trips immediately, sometimes 20 mins and anything up to 40mins and a couple of times through the day when no lights are on it trips. Had the main circuit breaker replaced but it didn’t make any difference

Sadly I have to tell you that those cables appear to date from about 1960 to early 1970s
I’d say 80’s poss 90’s? There appears to be some earths visibly cut- however that’s not to say that older cables are not mixed in, question is: is it that there are older cables with no earths so rewiring sparks said sod it do away with earths as some cables don’t already have them or is it they said no need for earths as all class 2 pendants were fitted? 

either way it’s a poor job in my opinion. 

It varies, sometimes it trips immediately, sometimes 20 mins and anything up to 40mins and a couple of times through the day when no lights are on it trips. Had the main circuit breaker replaced but it didn’t make any difference

If you post one more time you should be able to post photos

Could you then post a photo of your fuseboard?

I’d say 80’s poss 90’s? There appears to be some earths visibly cut- however that’s not to say that older cables are not mixed in, question is: is it that there are older cables with no earths so rewiring sparks said sod it do away with earths as some cables don’t already have them or is it they said no need for earths as all class 2 pendants were fitted? 

either way it’s a poor job in my opinion. 

If they were 1980's or 1990's the cable would almost certainly be white

really? I used to use grey all the time :C  

although I appreciate that there were regional variations as to who got what colour. 

Ok I’ll try that - just to say every time it trips it’s the fuse for lights that flips - you’ll notice the shower is flipped too but shower is no longer on the board nothing goes through that

Ok I’ll try that - just to say every time it trips it’s the fuse for lights that flips - you’ll notice the shower is flipped too but shower is no longer on the board nothing goes through that
It doesn’t seem to be uploading pic 

Is anyone seeing the photos of RCD?

It is possible that box is earthed and one of the conductors is casually touching the enclosure through damage where entry protection has not been employed.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is possible that box is earthed and one of the conductors is casually touching the enclosure through damage where entry protection has not been employed.
Do you mean the junction box? I think neighbour mentioned an earth wire wrapped around it? Has any of my RCD photos uploaded? 

Cath McK said:
Do you mean the junction box? I think neighbour mentioned an earth wire wrapped around it? Has any of my RCD photos uploaded? 
When I try to upload photo it’s telling me it’s too big even tho I’ve cropped it. Any ideas how to get it uploaded?

Where the cables enter the junction box some of the cables are not fully entered so the black and red conductors are are exposed outside the enclosure. It is a long shot but check for damage to any of those conductors. ISOLATE ALL POWER FIRST.

really? I used to use grey all the time :C  

although I appreciate that there were regional variations as to who got what colour. 

regional yes, but also  often indicates where it came from - new wiring colours normal T&E is grey, LSF is white. pre 2004-6 white T&E was most likely DIY, pretty much only sold in DIY sheds, grey was usually what youd get from a wholesaler. might have been different in other parts of the country but thats how i usually find it in the north east

regional yes, but also  often indicates where it came from - new wiring colours normal T&E is grey, LSF is white. pre 2004-6 white T&E was most likely DIY, pretty much only sold in DIY sheds, grey was usually what youd get from a wholesaler. might have been different in other parts of the country but thats how i usually find it in the north east
1976 onwards around here is all white T&E, and that it stayed until after the millennium 

Cath where are you in this land? 
Glasgow

As with all good pics they have been omitted for clarity!! 

Is there any pattern to the tripping? I would recommend you keep a diary of when it trips

Time of day? use of certain light(s), people walking upstairs?

What is actually tripping? MCB? RCD?

Hi, thanks for the advice on this it’s been really helpful, I’ll let you know what the outcome is tomorrow and will try and find way of uploading the photo’s of fuse box 👍

Had the main circuit breaker replaced but it didn’t make any difference 

Not quite sure what you refer to as a "main circuit breaker"..

But 99.999999999% of the time any MCB's / RCD's or RCBO's that trip are doing exactly what they have been designed to do..

Disconnect the power rapidly to avoid the risk of electric shock in the event of a fault..

Unless a device has been proven to be faulty there is no sensible reason to replace it..

to me that is a sign of incompetence...

Bit like having your car engine replaced because you ran out of petrol or the tyre was flat!!!

Randomly changing parts generally proves nothing..

With that junction box you have found,

I would have though it relatively easy to test each and every single cable coming from it..

Most probably go to a light switch or light fitting..

One will be an incoming supply

I think I could test most of those cables single handed...

verify polarity, continuity and insulation resistance,

and reconnect them into a new insulated enclosure with earths where present also reconnected...

in no more than approx half a day's labour.

(Correcting any anomalies identified would have to be costed separately.)

:coffee   

Status
Not open for further replies.