How do you check circuits in a house after installing a new fuse box?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need to ASK HIM about testing and the certification
Did you read how much he asked price wise in the message above? Is that too cheap? If it is too cheap, he should be honest from day one! We would maybe ask around! We gave him a job without him look for it! Easy job, in fact.. all he needed is to FIX IT.
If I would be an electrician, I would try to avoid any troubles, especially if experienced one.. You do by steps, one two three..etc. Nothing in between. If client doesn't like it, skip it, as if any problems, you don't have a headache. In electricity lies and shortcuts don't work. Can work in other stuff easy to fix.. not here.

Last edited:
The third day consecutive to other 2 he started the consumer unit, which he finished the next day..
He than came again to test the CU and checked the bits around the house, the sockets and lights in the ceiling (not the switches) for ground faults as he said he saw some sockets without the ground/earth.
Looking at the photos posted earlier I would like to think he was doing the dead tests on each circuit before he connected them into the new CU, I would expect any earth (ground) faults to be found during the R1 + R2 testing
One socket had inversed wires.
This should have been found when the dead tests were done
I think the electrician doesn't know! I will ask him when he comes! He may know installing things but not checking circuits. If he wanted to do a quick thing, he just checked like I could check really!
I think you are correct but knowing how to install things includes ensuring they are safe by means of proper testing and certification which he has clearly failed to do

I really don’t think a WhatsApp message is a suitable way to provide a written estimate or quote for such works.

when did you last communicate with him?

Looking at the photos posted earlier I would like to think he was doing the dead tests on each circuit before he connected them into the new CU, I would expect any earth (ground) faults to be found during the R1 + R2 testing

I think you are correct but knowing how to install things includes ensuring they are safe by means of proper testing and certification which he has clearly failed to do
I think he doesn't certificate as he will be responsible after.. But he is still the one who did the job. So, he needs to finish it and certificate it. I will have to pursue with him very nicely as I always do, maybe that's why I loose. Too nice to people.
PS. I worked with people all my life and so far I was good at it, but I never renovate a house.
UNG "Looking at the photos posted earlier I would like to think he was doing the dead tests on each circuit before he connected them into the new CU, I would expect any earth (ground) faults to be found during the R1 + R2 testing"!
Again, I wonder if it ever crossed his mind.. and I wonder why I never thought of checking more electricians? Oh, I know the answer, because I don't see the future!
It's too late now for any upstairs fixings, we will see with him around what he says, but surely before doing anything to the floors downstairs we have stuff in order. Hopefully! Electricians on this thread are far from us.

UNG, do you think a £1200-£1300 is very cheap for what you mentioned already about checks, so testing, installing, the CU material and certificate, how much would that be in Bromley London area? Or in your area?
We never negociate the price, we just read the message and agreed. So, it's not like we fought for cheaper. The electrician initially mentioned £850, as mentioned above it increased due to a forth fuse box which was only one fuse in it, but hey, it's ok, let's just add another half of the price and also do bad. I would never feel sorry for money agreed if any job done is right. I think everyone agrees.

Last edited:
I think he doesn't certificate as he will be responsible after.. But he is still the one who did the job. So, he needs to finish it and certificate it. I will have to pursue with him very nicely as I always do, maybe that's why I loose. Too nice to people.
PS. I worked with people all my life and so far I was good at it, but I never renovate a house.
UNG "Looking at the photos posted earlier I would like to think he was doing the dead tests on each circuit before he connected them into the new CU, I would expect any earth (ground) faults to be found during the R1 + R2 testing"!
Again, I wonder if it ever crossed his mind.. and I wonder why I never thought of checking more electricians? Oh, I know the answer, because I don't see the future!
It's too late now for any upstairs fixings, we will see with him around what he says, but surely before doing anything to the floors downstairs we have stuff in order. Hopefully! Electricians on this thread are far from us.

I really don’t think a WhatsApp message is a suitable way to provide a written estimate or quote for such works.

when did you last communicate with him?
2 days ago.. wrote him we are waiting for him.. He said he will return.. long story short he didn't say when.. but he is sorry for our inconvenience and something happend since he last checked (in December, than a week before the floor fitters).. bla bla bla

"I really don’t think a WhatsApp message is a suitable way to provide a written estimate or quote for such works."
I really wished I knew back then and not trust.. again I won't go in details... and think and weight everything before the floors.
My dear electricians around here, the ones who are reading this and lived those days, HOW THE WORLD WENT BY WITHOUT INTERNET BEFORE, NO REVIEWS, NO SEARCHING? Just recommendations? Ok, it happens now, it didn't work, what's next?
We had a trader, different to electrician, a thief who foolish ed people, many, but he simply operates as he is closing one business and opens other! How in the world UK works??? How a business which does shit can close if it's in a trial and change name and continue?! What country is this? Please don't get offended. You should be way above many, way ahead many countries. Do not disagree.

Last edited:
2 days ago. It could simply be he’s really busy , like many of us are.

good sparks don’t advertise and have weeks of work lined up, so finding time for unexpected issues may not be easy for him

We last spoke 2 days ago about when he will return, but he visited on the morning of 17th of January while the floors were layed (the problem part was covered already with floors the day before / one day / all floors in 2 days) and the tripping came back after his so phantom check (the week before floors installation).
We just asked snd said hello as for him to know we are waiting for him.. as we did in the last almost 3 months.

UNG, he found wires inversed in one socket or no ground wire in another socket by using his plug in 3 lights tester.. they didn't light up all 3 green lights, so he would than open the socket and saw what I mentioned. If that means dead tests, than... this is what he did. Used this 3 lights tester plug I strongly believe he did the same when I mentioned about the 2 tripping sockets in the bedroom where I told him before the floors went down, he said he tested and were ok! But really, if he only tested with the plug in 3 lights tester, than... what can I say. That's why the circuit was not found faulty in time.. I think he really doesn't know interpretating and checking circuits/wires..

UNG, he found wires inversed in one socket or no ground wire in another socket by using his plug in 3 lights tester.. they didn't light up all 3 green lights, so he would than open the socket and saw what I mentioned. If that means dead tests, than... this is what he did. Used this 3 lights tester plug I strongly believe he did the same when I mentioned about the 2 tripping sockets in the bedroom where I told him before the floors went down, he said he tested and were ok! But really, if he only tested with the plug in 3 lights tester, than... what can I say. That's why the circuit was not found faulty in time.. I think he really doesn't know interpretating and checking circuits/wires..
plug in polarity testers are live tests, they check correct wiring of sockets and sometimes look for a reasonable earth connection, but nothing else.

Even with testing some faults don't always show, such as a cable being compressed by a floor board, it can sit there quite happily working until someone walks on it.

UNG, he found wires inversed in one socket or no ground wire in another socket by using his plug in 3 lights tester.. they didn't light up all 3 green lights, so he would than open the socket and saw what I mentioned. If that means dead tests, than... this is what he did. Used this 3 lights tester plug I strongly believe he did the same when I mentioned about the 2 tripping sockets in the bedroom where I told him before the floors went down, he said he tested and were ok! But really, if he only tested with the plug in 3 lights tester, than... what can I say. That's why the circuit was not found faulty in time.. I think he really doesn't know interpretating and checking circuits/wires.
The point I was making was looking at this picture the electrician has got his MFT (multi function tester) next to the new CU so it would seem reasonable to assume he was doing the dead tests before connecting the circuits to the CU
1674757873461.png
The cynical alternative could be that it was a photo opportunity for his new website with careful meter placement to make it look like he knew what he was doing

The 3 lights tester is a very basic tester and is not something that you would use to produce any meaningful data for a certificate while it can aid fault finding it is no substitute for an MFT used by someone who knows how to use it and interpret the readings it gives

The point I was making was looking at this picture the electrician has got his MFT (multi function tester) next to the new CU so it would seem reasonable to assume he was doing the dead tests before connecting the circuits to the CU
View attachment 14853
The cynical alternative could be that it was a photo opportunity for his new website with careful meter placement to make it look like he knew what he was doing

The 3 lights tester is a very basic tester and is not something that you would use to produce any meaningful data for a certificate while it can aid fault finding it is no substitute for an MFT used by someone who knows how to use it and interpret the readings it gives
Yes, this type of photo with the electrician pointing at the CU with the meter/MFT or the 'pen' touching the RCDS in the photo is seen in quite a few adverts or articles involving electricians and electrics.
Thank you for explaining about the dead tests!

Looking forward to the update after his visit
The electrician spent around 2.5 hours this morning to lift the carpet, (luckily the bedroom with the need of a new socket and the only room with a carpet in the house, new fitted as well) he than lifted the one floor board, and fitted a new wire from one socket which worked luckily in the same bedroom, but because is our master bedroom we needed a second working socket by the bed, opposite to the working socket. (SO, he just brought a wire from the working socket to the opposite wall socket which before was connected to the faulty circuit)
So, the electrician said he did the checks. The faulty circuit is disconnected, secured.
The second bedroom as I mentioned in my so many messages had 3 plugs, 2 from the tripping circuit, one from a working circuit. So, we obviously left it like that, as we would not lift the new boards.
Luckily the light in the entrance hallway is working, as initially was tested with the pen, it had electricity in, but when we were left without the lights on the landing and as well they have electricity in, but they stopped working, I freaked, as we all like a light when we come in the house, but with new floor boards upstairs, any problem at this light.. not possible to fix unless lifting boards... really lucky we don't have that surprise!
So, that's working, the only thing left is the 2 lights on the landing, which we have to check it from the loft.
The electrician said he tested the circuits, including the insulation resistance.
So, obviously we will wait for him for the last bit (landing lights) and after he will certify.
So, we really hope this is the last major bit we have/had and for years to come we will enjoy the electricity and the overall house.
I wrote to the electrician before his work today all the feedback/advises from here regarding steps doing this or that, or what I considered I should mention.
Thank you dear ones, I will read more about electrics and hopefully I don't have to come with issues ever again!
Bless you all wires doctors!

Last edited: