Linux

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can use it to get data off damaged hard drives that Windows can't.

You can use it to clone Windows hard drives quicker and more efficiently than you can under Windows.

IF, you have lost files or have a damaged Windows disk and you connect it to another Windows machine, Windows may well write to the disk & trash any chances you had of recovering the files.

Linux will not do that.

It's free, the applications for it are free.

It is more akin to the operating system used on the vast majority of systems that are not on users desktops.

I'm not sure of the actual %age, but I'm sure someone will know, but I am pretty sure that the majority of the "internet"/"world wide web" runs on Linux.

It is a way for PC users to learn workstation OS's such as Unix, as it is so similar.

It is a very good learning tool for teaching how OS's work, and how they interact with hardware.

For some reason, hackers don't hack Linux, possibly to do with the access permissions each file has, but more likely due to not S***ting on your own doorstep.

Whereas windows seems to be fair game.

The massive advantage Linux has over windows is its security protocols, you cannot by default be an 'admin' user in Linux unless you know how to do it, it's not a simple cluck and do thing,

Even using the command line and the 'sudo' (super user do) command requires a password and only functions for that session of commands, so it is very VERY hard for an outside source to gain access,

Firstly they need your password, then they need to physically run the sudo command from a terminal, (command line),  so it's an extremely hard thing for them to do, unless they can truck you into physically running the sudo command for them. 

So basically for a normal PC user using normal PC type things Linux is of no use whatsoever?

Funnily enough I went to night school in the early 1980's to do Cobol programming. I was told then that Linux was the best os there was but back then you had to be able to program as the user interface was not very good. Windows just put an easy to use bad system up and everyone now uses it.

So basically for a normal PC user using normal PC type things Linux is of no use whatsoever?
I'd actually say the complete opposite, I am a complete computer thicko, I use Ubuntu (Linux) because it simply does what I need it to do, yes, along the way I've learnt some commands, but I'm certainly no programmer, or computer whizz, see my thread on trying to get Windows to work on my son's new PC, 

The problem is, most people have a windows mindset and don't like change, even if it us for the better.

Funnily enough I went to night school in the early 1980's to do Cobol programming. I was told then that Linux was the best os there was but back then you had to be able to program as the user interface was not very good. Windows just put an easy to use bad system up and everyone now uses it.
cobol, blimey you're posh

we did bbcbasic. I used to teach bbcbasic in adult education and youth opportunities, back in the days of Red Ken and the GLC, god bless em.

edit; android is Linux based, so your teacher was right.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd actually say the complete opposite, I am a complete computer thicko, I use Ubuntu (Linux) because it simply does what I need it to do, yes, along the way I've learnt some commands, but I'm certainly no programmer, or computer whizz, see my thread on trying to get Windows to work on my son's new PC, 

The problem is, most people have a windows mindset and don't like change, even if it us for the better.
I'm exactly the same...

Microsoft Office 2010 runs quite happily on my Linux (Zorin OS) systems. Installed simply using the built in WINE/PlayOnLinux utility that comes built in. Just as quick to start/use etc.

The only thing I can't do on my Linux machines is successfully run AutoCAD. There are though CAD alternatives that run on Linux.

Linux has:

- a lot less virus worries 

- it has super quick start and shut down times

- generally no drivers to worry about finding - hardware just "works"

- no silly "updating" when you're shutting it down

- no annoying offers to upgrade to Windows 10

- alternative browsers to the normal IE. Chrome etc

- a built in software library for most applications you might want

- a built in "office" package that will read/edit any MS files you throw at it.

Compared with Linux Windows is restrictive in it's thinking, difficult & awkward to get along with and often leaves you thinking WTF?..... ;)

AND.....

Linux can give a new lease of life to an older pc. Firstly MS bring out successive OS's that in effect force the user to upgrade the hardware. The Linux community have gone the other way getting the most out of the hardware. It's really a very green OS! Take DSL, done as an experiment to see how small a functioning OS could be it's less than 50MB! You get web browsing, basic word processing etc. OK the desktop looks like it was made from Lego but flash graphics weren't the point.

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

That being said most Linux OS's offer a lite version that still looks good graphics wise for not much sacrifice elsewhere but is less system hungry.

There's many an "old" Windows pc languishing in a cupboard gathering dust where the OS has become so clogged and slow the user has abandoned it and bought a new one.

To the doubters I'd say try it via a live CD/DVD/USB stick. Start with Zorin if you want a dead easy transition from Windows. For a real flavour of Linux try Ubuntu. Then there's Mint that's really "crisp" and looks great. All just IMHO!

If you like Macs then there's even distros that look like Mac OS's.

So, apple saw Unix using a dock, a year later they applied to patent someone else's idea that was already in use, and it took them 10year to find a judge they could buy a verdict from,?   :C