Live earth reverse???

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankhorse

Reaction score
Hi there 

recently installed a ring main going to a brand new db today I managed to get the feed into it and powered up I have 230v at my sockets but when I use the socket tester it says live earth reverse 

any help would be appreciated thanks 

I’ve already done all my dead tests with my tester which are are fine? Then powered up to do my live tests but noticed the luminaries on the sockets weren’t lighting which made me plug in the socket tester which then came up with that 

In the mean time lets hope these are not metal plate sockets. Oh and don't touch the screws until you have sorted it out. baddayexplode

After you did your dead tests on the circuit.... did you prove the supply was correct at the DB before powering up the circuit itself? In addition to the other poster asking Zdb, what about voltages L-N, L-E and N-E

Hi there 

recently installed a ring main going to a brand new db today I managed to get the feed into it and powered up I have 230v at my sockets but when I use the socket tester it says live earth reverse 

any help would be appreciated thanks 

Where do you have 230v at the sockets?  i.e. between which two points did you test? which one of your two test points did you prove was at earth potential to give a correct reference point? "Socket Testers" are an incorrect description, They CANNOT test anything. (They are not a BS7671 item of test equipment).  You probably have a plug top with three illuminated indicators that can give incorrect and/or random sequences in certain situations. (some can show L-E reversed when you actually have a loss of Neutral). As Kerching said redo your checks with approved test equipment to the guidelines in BS7671 and if you are still having problem after that, come back with real results for consideration.

Doc H. 

I would tend to concentrate on Doc Hudson's lost Neutral, presumably if all sockets show Line Earth reverse the neutrals are not connected at the board.

Oh and all the neutrals will be at line potential!

Normally you have:

L-N 230V,  L-E 230V,  N-E 0V

A Line Earth reverse will Give

L-N 0V, L-E 230V, N-E 320V

A disconnected neutral on a live circuit will have the line and Neutral both at 230V so no difference between them.

Therefore the comparative voltages would be 

L-N 0V (difference), L-E 230V (as usual), N-E 230V (as neutral is at 230V)

This is the same result as the unlikely Line Earth reverse.