Long Distance Fault Finding.... Any Ideas Please?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Careful now Doc......Trailer boy`ll be getting himself all excited at the thought!!!!!!

FYI, I haven`t measured it personally. If you check back to the early days of the forum, Spec loc, aka boris karloff actually used one of his overgrown "pedigree siberian hamsters" for experimentation. It was streamed live to the forumites, but Admin had to stop it when it got interesting part way through.

Careful now Doc......Trailer boy`ll be getting himself all excited at the thought!!!!!!FYI, I haven`t measured it personally. If you check back to the early days of the forum, Spec loc, aka boris karloff actually used one of his overgrown "pedigree siberian hamsters" for experimentation. It was streamed live to the forumites, but Admin had to stop it when it got interesting part way through.
mgtn211l.jpg

Careful now Doc......Trailer boy`ll be getting himself all excited at the thought!!!!!!FYI, I haven`t measured it personally. If you check back to the early days of the forum, Spec loc, aka boris karloff actually used one of his overgrown "pedigree siberian hamsters" for experimentation. It was streamed live to the forumites, but Admin had to stop it when it got interesting part way through.
I am inclined to say...

No comment!.... :|

But that in itself IS making a comment!!!! :_| :_| :_|

so I shall just go and drown me sorrows with some of me favorite "KME's Guinness" :Blushing

GuinnessGuinnessGuinnessGuinnessGuinness

What ...Meeeeeeeeeee..... **** you off ...Oh no I'd never do that ...would I ? Make facecious remarks , me ? How do you spell facecious............Ah factitious ... I thought there was a tit in there somewhere. Can we say tit on here ?

Am I talking to myself here , is there no one else barmy enough to be up at this time of night ?

Am I in charge of the Forum then ?? HELLO HELLO ! IS THERE ANYONE THERE ?

Right I'm in charge , bring it on , any one swears and I'll ban you , Dekes in charge now , I'm having delusions of grandour . That shoud be grandeur, whats rong with my smelling tonight , Dyslexia lures, KO ?

I know .....lets have a sing song,, all together now ..

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooo I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK

I sleep all night , I work all day

I cut down trees , I eat ma lunch

I go to the lav..or..try

Come on am I on my own here ????

well thanks for all your input guys...

does the resistance of a dead furry animal lower when voltage is applied to it?.... it would need to, to explain this fault, as i said, there's a time delay element here, no instantaneous tripping

so if you're running a book, i got 'dead rodent' causing short @ 10/1

slug/insect in jb.... @ 15/1

damp/water in roof....@ 6/1

dodgy switches @ 4/1

with burnt wiring and cable nicks @ 2/1

electrician ripping ceiling down is a red hot favourite @ 1/10 headbang

you may get better prices elsewhere.

i'll keep you informed.

Carry out insulation test see what that gives you, pull down a lamp divide the circuit and switch on, no trip then connect part of the disconected section see if that trips carry on and narrow it down till you know the section causing it.Had a ring doing that once only every few days, turned out to be a floor board nail through the T+E, only happened when they walked to the corner of the kitchen to use the washing machine.

Cheers, Mike.
Had similar fault where a cable was routed thru a notch in the joist and getting pinched by the floor board when some one walked on it occasionally , tripping the downstairs lights and the fault was on the landing itself .

took my van 130 miles to this job this week....

IR test on spotlight section of lighting cct = 890 ohms...

(thats pretty close to 1Meg if you were on a PIR isn't it?)

further split down cct between spots... found length of 1 mm t&e had been resting on top of spots and burnt to a crisp... luckily managed to pull a new length through without pulling ceiling down... all sorted.

thanks and congratulations to all who had their money on burnt wiring at 2/1.

wuzz, batty etc etc.....

yes you're right andy... what a difference a 'k' makes....sorry i meant 890Kohms... that was tested 'cold'

as i said this fault took 10 mins to 'warm up'... i should've tested it again after

it'd warmed up for interests sake....but i didn't. :|

took my van 130 miles to this job this week....IR test on spotlight section of lighting cct = 890 ohms...

(thats pretty close to 1Meg if you were on a PIR isn't it?)

further split down cct between spots... found length of 1 mm t&e had been resting on top of spots and burnt to a crisp... luckily managed to pull a new length through without pulling ceiling down... all sorted.

thanks and congratulations to all who had their money on burnt wiring at 2/1.

wuzz, batty etc etc.....
Glad you sorted it and always nice to here outcome.

Latest posts