look what I found today

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil d

Reaction score
A mate of mine is doing up an empty property, the landlord wants to sell it, he's had enough. For the last 6 years it's been occupied by junkies, they went from using to growing their own and eventually dealing.

Anyway he rings me up to check the electrics, it's working but some of it's a bit ropey and he doesn't like the meter arrangement. I pop over and it was bad, used needles everywhere and filthy, there was 3 bedrooms, they were living in one and growing cannabis in the other two, downstairs was basically abandoned, to be used by people when they bought their drugs, there was a large steel gate at the top of the stairs to keep people from robbing the dealer.

Well I rang the utility company and they said that because there was evidence of tampering that I'd have to contact the meter provider, rang them and the idiot on the phone (foreign bloke) tells me that as it isn't my property and the account is not in my name then it has nothing to do with me, go away and get the tenant to ring up. Now the tenant isn't there, their either in jail or whatever, I've got exposed live cables and this twonk says it's non of my business!

Back on the phone to the utility company and explain the issue again, this time they say they'll send a man out asap, within the hour one arrives, agrees with me that it's dangerous and calls for someone to replace the cut out, he places a protective cover over it and leaves. About an hour later, the jointers arrive to replace the cut out, nobody can believe that the meter company would not deal with it, as the jointer said it's beyond a joke that they are prepared to leave a dangerous situation simply because the person notifying them is not the account holder.

cut out1.jpg

Incidentally the cover was on the meter, but the seal was missing.

meter.jpg

I had an interesting conversation with our resident idiot yesterday (Phil knows who I mean), could I sort his meter out as he’s got no power. Possibly something to him being £30 in arrears and I’d turned the landlords supply to the communal sockets off so he couldn’t use his extension lead. How I kept my face straight when I told him I couldn’t help I  don’t know. E day is the 7th June (eviction day).