Low voltage due to solar panels?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

archer327

Reaction score
Hello, I’ve had a 5kW solar system with a battery for a year now. Excess of electricity goes back to the grid. Recently, our Thermomix (a cooking device) started stopping in the middle of the process with the message Low voltage or power fluctuations detected, solar panels might be a problem. Could this be a problem and, if so, what’s the solution? I was thinking about getting a voltage stabilizer for Thermomix but they are not readily available on the market. It doesn’t seem I had this problem after panel installation but now it is irritating. All other devices work fine.

Hello, I’ve had a 5kW solar system with a battery for a year now. Excess of electricity goes back to the grid. Recently, our Thermomix (a cooking device) started stopping in the middle of the process with the message Low voltage or power fluctuations detected, solar panels might be a problem. Could this be a problem and, if so, what’s the solution? I was thinking about getting a voltage stabilizer for Thermomix but they are not readily available on the market. It doesn’t seem I had this problem after panel installation but now it is irritating. All other devices work fine.
Have a look at your solar inverter flick through the screen options to find what grid voltage it is seeing. Inverters monitor the grid and output a higher voltage, but it will tell you what the grid voltage to the house is. The lowest voltage should be 216V. If it's down that low or kower, your next step should be contact the DNO and report a potential fault with your supply

Have a look at your solar inverter flick through the screen options to find what grid voltage it is seeing. Inverters monitor the grid and output a higher voltage, but it will tell you what the grid voltage to the house is. The lowest voltage should be 216V. If it's down that low or kower, your next step should be contact the DNO and report a potential fault with your supply
Thank you binky.

Inverter’s output is never below 230V, input however is around 201V - not sure what this means.
Grid is showing 243V.

Why are you assuming that it is the solar installation that is causing the problem what other tests or checks have you done on the electrical installation, have you had any work done recently or changed any of the electrical accessories (sockets etc)

Have you tried the Thermomix plugged into a different socket, does the plug on the Thermomix have any visible signs of damage or overheating, is the fuse loose in the plug

The thread continues.............
We have a problem with Thermomix (an electronic cooking device) - it switches off in the middle of cooking when heating is used and the message pops up that there is a problem with voltage fluctuation which might be related to solar panels. We sent it off for repair and they’ve changed the heating elements etc. However, the problem still persists. Then I tried to switch off solar panels (the switch that separates the grid but generated electricity would still go into the battery) during cooking and that helps - Thermomix does not stop. So I believe solar panels might be the culprit. This does not happen with any other devices though. My question is whether it is safe to cut panels off the grid if the battery is full because I understand generated electricity must go somewhere. If the grid is cut off and the battery is full, what would happen? Thanks.

Threads merged, as OP started a new thread, same subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
it switches off in the middle of cooking when heating is used and the message pops up that there is a problem with voltage fluctuation which might be related to solar panels.
I'm really intrigued by this, how does the Thermomix know that you have solar panels

Is your Thermomix a TM5 or TM6

With the voltage fluctuations have you carried out any checks on your supply and circuits and do you have an under or over voltage issue

I'm really intrigued by this, how does the Thermomix know that you have solar panels

Is your Thermomix a TM5 or TM6

With the voltage fluctuations have you carried out any checks on your supply and circuits and do you have an under or over voltage issue
I’ve attached the message that comes up. I think it is a generic message though.IMG_0239.jpeg

I’ve replaced the fuse box recently and the electrician checked all the circuits- no problems. The only problem is with the Thermomix.
Clearly there is a problem although the checks / testing of the circuits would only be confirming they are safe for continued use when the consumer unit is changed and not for any underlying problem related to any power issues with the mains or solar power equipment.
You would need a power quality analyser to properly understand what is happening on the supply when the Thermomix is being used to track the problem down, given the Thermomix specifically mentions solar power I'm wondering if the issue is with certain inverters or there is some DC interference causing the electronics to malfunction

It seems to me that the Thermomix is detecting voltage fluctuations.

A Solar PV system will cause minor voltage fluctuations, raising the mains voltage slightly so that PV generated power is used in preference to imported etc. When the sun goes in the voltage drops back to grid volts. This is normal.

The message on the screen seems to be suggesting they've seen this before and it might be the reason it's decided there's an unstable supply. Even though everything's working as it should. (Except the Thermomix).

I don't see any issue with disconnecting the inverter at the consumer unit while you cook, apart from the inconvenience and the fact it will be using imported electricity.

Not having heard of a Thermomix I googled it.
This revealed lots of posts about all sorts of faults and unexplained happenings.
I would view the appliance with as much suspicion as the house wiring.

Not having heard of a Thermomix I googled it.
This revealed lots of posts about all sorts of faults and unexplained happenings.
I would view the appliance with as much suspicion as the house wiring.
Nothing wrong with Thermomix as such or should I say specifically the TM5 I know of one that has quite happily worked where the voltage varies from 230v down as low as 184v with no problems at all

Most of the issues seem to be with the TM6 which is WiFi enabled to download recipes from the web so it would suggest that any mains bourne interference could be causing the the problem

One thing you should be able to do on your solar inverter is check the grid voltage on the display. That might involve a bit of button pressing to get the right screen up, but invetters monitor grid voltages constantly so they can output a slightly higher voltage that menas you pull enrgy from the solar array before buying in energy from the grid.

Thermomix is German so the designers may be more used to their 220V end of the nominal 230V mains and set the alarm trigger maximum voltage to what they thought adequate but which is too low for the UK? The UK is around the 240V end of the nominal range and allowed to go 254V and that can certainly occur on sites with PV.

Thermomix is German so the designers may be more used to their 220V end of the nominal 230V mains and set the alarm trigger maximum voltage to what they thought adequate but which is too low for the UK? The UK is around the 240V end of the nominal range and allowed to go 254V and that can certainly occur on sites with PV.
Given that we have been working with EU harmonised voltages for the best part of 25 years how would that fit in with your thinking. European appliances should be built to work on 230v +/- 10%

Locked to prevent being resurrected (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.