M16 Grommets

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

padawan

Reaction score
Hey guys :)  

I need to terminate 6mm T&E, plus 6mm earth single, and 6mm SWA into an IP65 junction box.

The junction box i am using is this one

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LB9065.html

The SWA will be glanced into the 20mm knockouts, and the 6MM T&E and 6mm earth single will be rear entry, so far so good. I then noticed that the rear entry knockouts are both M16, which is a new one on me. I have had a look online but i can't find any M16 grommets (TLC don't stock them), the only thing i can find is m16 glands but obviously thats no good due to rear entry into the junction box.

Im not sure what i am missing, can someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks 

P.S. Please excuse my ignorance.

M16a1m16a2m4m16a45wi.jpg

Blow a hole in it!

Looks like the back of Andy™'s Van! :lol:

Wiska boxes all the way...

I can't believe grommets are still legal in the UK, I think with the latest guidance about steel CU's that rubber grommets and that gawdawful edging strip stuff should also be outlawed. The cable entry isn't so critical when it's a plastic enclosure but cables entering a hole cut in steel is a different story. 

@padawan, you do get 16mm grommets but probably not so much at electrical suppliers, easier to drill the hole out to 20mm.

Take it you don't like grommets then Marvo? Must admit I hate to see it when they are NOT used.
Yeah, I'd suspect a lot of the times they're not used, they probably were used but wandered/fell off.

I've always found it a bit weird, the UK regs are generally no nonsense belt and braces approach but there's the odd few practices that stand out like a sore thumb as being a bit lax. Grommets on cable entry and lack of proper male adapters on conduit entry are a couple of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cut grommet smaller?
Im not sure why i didnt think of this tbh lol

Blow a hole in it!

Looks like the back of Andy™'s Van! :lol:

Wiska boxes all the way...

I did come across whisk box's while i was searching for grommets and they do look pretty good, but from what i could see they don't have any rear entry knockouts? or space to drill your own?

@padawan, you do get 16mm grommets but probably not so much at electrical suppliers, easier to drill the hole out to 20mm.
Again i don't why i didnt think of this lol

You'll get 16mm grommets if you shop around .

But its a plastic box IP65 and I assume its outside so back entry will impair it's IP-ness . 

Yeh i finally came across them on both RS and eBay, about 10 mins after posting my thread. I knew they must be out there somewhere.

Yeh its outside, but the manufacturers have put 2 knockouts in the back so i assume they reckon its IP-ness is maintained. My plan was grommet and silicon.

erm... the knockout is there for you to fit your own IP gland. grommet and silicone is a bodge
Glands would be a nightmare to fix for rear entry, but if thats how it should be done then fair enough, thanks for the tip.

Its plastic anyway so the grommet is a waste, Wiska Boxes have soft membrane entries in the back although i would still be tempted to apply a liberal amount of CT1 to keep any water out or fill the box with gel

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WK607B.html

Ah i see, sounds like they are worth checking out, i might even even suggest them to my boss lol

If you want to maintain it's IP'ness rather install a compression gland backwards if there's enough depth in the enclosure. (the gland on the inside and nut on the outside) :) .

Thats sounds like a great tip, i will look into it for sure, thanks.

Wiska boxes are good .  I've used the box you have there , they're OK but I don't like  the fixing holes in the back ....not very IP'ish really.

Fixing holes should be  the sealed tunnel type like the Wiska 's .

The IP rating is maintained by using the threaded holes in the sides really , shoving cables in the back is asking for it to fill with water .

With those grey IP rated twin socket boxes I bring the cable out underneath , wrap with black tape , instead of drilling the backs & letting water in .

Not interested in what it looks like , its there to do a job.  

just thinking.... would a 25mm galv stop end box be better? I tend to keep Wiska stuff surface to maintain IP'ness.?

Had a job the other day where I had to get the silicone out as the council contactor "extras" werent great and they took out a fair chunk of wall around the exit hole.