Made redundant today

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karlb

Reaction score
Unfortunately the company for which I have worked at for the last 18 months went into liquidation today which has left myself and about 30 others without a job.

So now I am currently sat down trying to work out what to do next.

Basically, I am offering my services out in the hope to find a new opportunity, I am hard working, punctual and very eager to learn new things. All of my qualifications i have payed for and completed off of my own back, these include C&G 2330, C&G 2382-10 and the AM2, I also have a number of health and safety courses such as working at heights, asbestos awareness, cscs etc.

My main background lies within the PV industry of which i have been involved in design, installation, testing, commissioning, monitoring and fault finding. I started in the industry over 2 years ago and i have installed countless pv systems ranging from small to domestics to larger commercial installs.

All that a side i am eager to get into other areas of electrical installation. So if anyone knows of anyone who would be interested in taking on another pair of hands i would certainly bite theirs off to do it!

I have all my own tools, test equipment, regs book and most of the guidance notes as well as a car.

If anyone is interested please could you PM me or email me on [email protected].

Many thanks and i look forward to reading any replies.

Kind regards

Karl

Cheers mate :)

I also forgot to mention I live in Swindon and can provide a C.V on request

What company was it?

Good luck for the future mate.............Steve3948 is from your neck of the woods so might know of anything local to you.

Not sure if I should mention the name on a public forum but we were quite a large pv company based in Wiltshire.

Cheers for that mate is he likely to come in here or should I pm him

karlb, things are a bit quiet in this area right now, most of my work is in the Cotswolds which is also slowing a bit, however you never know what's round the corner, I have priced a couple of medium sized jobs but not heard anything back yet.

I have only enough for the two lads and myself right now, but will keep my ear to the ground.

I take it your PAYE, I know local agencies were looking for sparks to work in the schools during the shut down, however they go back in a couple of weeks, I also heard that Affleck were looking.

Thanks for your reply. I know work is a bit thin on the ground at the moment but I thought I would chuck this post out there on the off chance. It's bad times we are indeed living in!

I am or was as I should say was paye! I plan on going round the agencies tomorrow and seeing what's about.

Thanks again for you reply much appreciated

karlb ,

get yourself a CIS number, some public liability, and maybe try touting yourself out to the bigger boys as a subbie,

bypasses the agencies that way too.

you never know, sometimes a day or two here and there can lead to longer lasting things if they get a contract come up.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 19:11 ---------- Previous post was made at 19:08 ----------

EDIT, I do believe I should have said UTR number,

you get it from the taxman.

it allows whoever you are working for to deduct tax @20% at source,

not brilliant, but it makes it easier for the folks you are working for so they may be more interested in giving you a bit of work.

karlb , get yourself a CIS number, some public liability, and maybe try touting yourself out to the bigger boys as a subbie,

bypasses the agencies that way too.

you never know, sometimes a day or two here and there can lead to longer lasting things if they get a contract come up.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 19:11 ---------- Previous post was made at 19:08 ----------

EDIT, I do believe I should have said UTR number,

you get it from the taxman.

it allows whoever you are working for to deduct tax @20% at source,

not brilliant, but it makes it easier for the folks you are working for so they may be more interested in giving you a bit of work.
is there a limit to how long you can sub yourself out for for one firm in one stint? something like 3 months?

I got my utr number back in 2005 when there was work a plenty!

I did alot through agencies as I could pick and choose jobs there seemed to be so many!!!

I worked though agency subbed to one company for 12 months! They must of been mad paying the agency fees but I didn't care too much as it was a cracking rate through agency for me!!!

I wasn't aware of a time period you were allowed to work for one company for although It could be different if your direct to a company!

The CIS 4 scheme stopped 18% tax from gross wage, just set up a DD for national insurance payments and get plenty of expenses in for the tax man at end of year lol!

Might be worth doing to keep some cash flowing untill you can get something more permimant. That's how I used it anyway! Get some good experience on different jobs aswell!

All the best for the future.

Steps:

The UTR is your "Unique Tax Reference" which EVERYONE self employed must have. Sometimes they just use your national insurance number, sometimes they give you another number as well.

The CIS reference number is a different number that you only need if you are subcontracting in the construction industry.

If starting self employed you need to notify HMRC straight away.

I thought the rules on subcontracting goes something like if you ONLY subcontract for one person, then after a certain time he's supposed to take you on the books. but if you are subbing to more than one person there's no limit. But I could be wrong.

is there a limit to how long you can sub yourself out for for one firm in one stint? something like 3 months?
its not a set time limit AFAIK, but there is a limit as to how much of your work I think,

Im SE with a business bank account, and at the minute about 70% of my work is subby to 1 firm,

and the way the economy is right now I can see that happening for a while, well, I hope they have enough to keep me busy for a while anyway.

its all about financial risk I believe one member said, and 99% of my subby work is price.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:17 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:15 ----------

Steps:The UTR is your "Unique Tax Reference" which EVERYONE self employed must have. Sometimes they just use your national insurance number, sometimes they give you another number as well.

The CIS reference number is a different number that you only need if you are subcontracting in the construction industry.

If starting self employed you need to notify HMRC straight away.

I thought the rules on subcontracting goes something like if you ONLY subcontract for one person, then after a certain time he's supposed to take you on the books. but if you are subbing to more than one person there's no limit. But I could be wrong.
thanks Dave, the firm I sub to are using my UTR, is it the same thing now?

the last time I had anything like this it was called an SC60 .

that would make sense .

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its if you are deemed to be taking a risk (if they don't get paid you don't), you don't get hourly rate but an agreed sum, that you have your own transport and tools, that you invoice and operate as a business.

This is getting all a little confusing that probably isn't help by the beer in currently drinking!

Would I be right in assuming that getting a UTR and CIS number would not hinder getting a job that is paye? Or would I be a pain in the arse to transfer back over. Also how much roughly would you look to pay for public liability and how much would I need?

Thanks for all of your replies!

The trouble with HMRC, is just when you think you are beginning to understand the rules, they change them.

All I know is my UTR and CIS numbers are different.

Last year, so much of my work was CIS (two different builders) that at the end of the year I had paid too much tax so they gave me some back.

karlb, it wont stop you going paye, but you will still need to do a self assessment, just tell them at the end of the year you ceased SE on xx date,

PL varies a lot to what you need, I could get 2mil basic for under

I phoned HMRC 2 or 3 months back to register for a CIS number (accademy schools have to use CIS reg'd contractors) & they said no problem done over the phone & they use your UTR as the refrence for CIS.

They explained that as the contractor you give the employer your UTR & the employer then confirms with HMRC for cis payments.

All I know is I've done work over the past couple of months & have had tax deducted before payment.

Like steps said if you go CIS then you will have to do a self assessment at end of year but if and when you go back to PAYE just give them a bell and tell them, you'll then do your SA at end of year to include your CIS wage and your PAYE end of year wage. I'm not all up on that so I just got an accountant to do it, his price also goes in as expenses! I'm sure it's quite straight forward to do it yourself and in sure many members on here could help out!

It's sounds complicated but it inane really :eek: