Main bonding question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobo

Reaction score
Hi  bit of a long one but any advice would be great thanks.

I am working on a shop that has a flat above.  The supply to the shop is in the basement and the flat has its own supply separate to the shop.  There are 2 water supply's in the shop close together that are joined after the stop taps then branch off. One to the shop and to the flat.  There is no main water bond in the shop.  There is a bond coming out the wall near the stop taps that I think is coming from the flat above.  I am worried about bonding the shop at the tap and introducing a fault from the flat above.  Does the flat bond need to be disconnected from the shop?

🤔

I'm hoping so but haven't been able to gain access 

then work with what you can see before you. IMHO it's fair to assume that the flat has been done correctly, and as you are not working in the flat, then the flat is not your concern at the moment. I would bond the shop to the water pipes as this may be separated at some later point in time. Bonding is suppossed to keep touch voltages down tp 50V max, so at worst you introduce 50V into the flat? 

Is the pipework copper or plastic?

I’m more intrigued by:

Hi  bit of a long one but any advice would be great thanks.

I am working on a shop that has a flat above.  The supply to the shop is in the basement and the flat has its own supply separate to the shop.  There are 2 water supply's in the shop close together that are joined after the stop taps then branch off. One to the shop and to the flat.  There is no main water bond in the shop.  There is a bond coming out the wall near the stop taps that I think is coming from the flat above.  I am worried about bonding the shop at the tap and introducing a fault from the flat above.  Does the flat bond need to be disconnected from the shop?

🤔

Why would you have two supplies that are joined after the stop taps then separated again? what’s that all about?