Main bonding

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hiram

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Recently asked to upgrade cu to mcb and rcd protection on old imperial wiring system in good condition. My problem is there is only a 2.5mm going to main water intake which is at the other side of the house and difficult to get to. If by improving the system with additional protection by rcd should I still require to upgrade main bonding ???

Hi Guys,My problem is there is only a 2.5mm going to main water intake which is at the other side of the house and difficult to get to.
Such a common problem, in particular the old Victorian terrace, however there is always a way (ask my boys).

The Godfather

Hi Guys,Recently asked to upgrade cu to mcb and rcd protection on old imperial wiring system in good condition. My problem is there is only a 2.5mm going to main water intake which is at the other side of the house and difficult to get to. If by improving the system with additional protection by rcd should I still require to upgrade main bonding ???
You say difficult to get to?

Is this the actual water stop tap? or do you mean to upgrade the cable it will be difficult?

There are ways to install bonding that could be made very easy depending on the structure of floors and ceilings etc.

I am sure you will find some helpfull tips on this forum.

You say difficult to get to?Is this the actual water stop tap? or do you mean to upgrade the cable it will be difficult?

There are ways to install bonding that could be made very easy depending on the structure of floors and ceilings etc.

I am sure you will find some helpfull tips on this forum.
any chance you could elaborate? :)

any chance you could elaborate? :)
bit hard but....

some joists are made from steel framework, and you can get cables any way without taking up loads of boards.

some joists are only 2x2 ontop of something else, so again, can easily get cables around

some floor have a large enough space to get cables under them without many boards to be taken up

there may be coving in rooms that you can take cable behind

too many variables really. depends on design of house

bit hard but.... some joists are made from steel framework, and you can get cables any way without taking up loads of boards.

some joists are only 2x2 ontop of something else, so again, can easily get cables around

some floor have a large enough space to get cables under them without many boards to be taken up

there may be coving in rooms that you can take cable behind

too many variables really. depends on design of house
cool, i was thinking there was some sort of witchcraft behind it.

you could always get a ferret
i can see it now!

haacon_cable_reel_jack.jpg

we always use 10mm on all tt and tn because of the amount now being upgraded to pme over the country, we also upgrade the main earth to 16mm believe it or not. :)

How about taking it outside round the house in conduit(black prefereably) I use this method when the job looks like its going to be hard.

we go up the back 3 metre black conduit .. clipped up to eves and through roof down other side into conduit again 3 metre to floor level ..

we always use 10mm on all tt and tn because of the amount now being upgraded to pme over the country, we also upgrade the main earth to 16mm believe it or not. :)
I do to for the extra cost of cable it makes it future proof until they start making main earth 25mm and bonds 16mm.

Batty

:_|

Latest posts