Mains Connection for New Build

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanhobbett

Big Al
Reaction score
Hi. I'm one of three self builders building a house on a site in Fife. We have been talking with the DNO about connection. We have a DNO quote for contestable and non-contestable works but cant find anyone locally willing to quote against the DNO of the contestable element. We're too small fry. Our own electrician, whose experienced with much larger projects including generation projects, checked some of the materials costings for us and says the cable costs are too high. We proposed to the DNO that we supply the cable to their performance spec and conduct all excavation ourselves. They say they are fine with the excavation (we liaising with the local authority for relevant permits) but say that they would have to supply the cable as this connects to their network? This sounds dodgy to me as in effect they then become the monopoly supplier of cable for contestable works? Anyone know whether the DNO can insist that they supply cable for contestable works?

Cheers

Alan

sounds like the best compromise you will get. They don't like digging trenches, so are always happy for customers to do that, and I can understand they want to use their own cable, but I've never found them overpriced on that side, cheap, no, but not hugely expensive.

once its in the ground and connected its their responsibility for all its future maintenance. they don't want cheap cable installed that's not to their spec / known source

Sorry fellas still trying to find my way around the forum. I thought Id responded to you all but seems not. Thanks for your comments. Basic conclusion seems to be excavation yes, cable no, which is I guess where we'll end up but the cable costs is very high compared to the same spec cable from an independent supplier, which is why I'm banging on about this.

What I'm unsure about is how is it that the DNO can insist on supplying the cable? If we compare to water, for example, (I appreciate this may different depending where you stay as water was never privatised in Scotland) you can provide the pipe, to the point of connection to the current network, provided it meets the spec, and is to an approved design. Finished work has to be signed off before its covered up. The reason this is allowed is to avoid a monopoly supplier situation. If for power we meet the DNO's specification for cable, and the design is prior approved (we propose here a common supply system joining existing mains from the edge of the scheme boundary, as three houses will be served from this, each with three phase supply) this seems to me to be comparable. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers Alan

Sorry fellas still trying to find my way around the forum. I thought Id responded to you all but seems not. Thanks for your comments. Basic conclusion seems to be excavation yes, cable no, which is I guess where we'll end up but the cable costs is very high compared to the same spec cable from an independent supplier, which is why I'm banging on about this.

Cheers Alan
DNOs tend to use different cable to what we use, and it's fair to say it certainly lasts a very long time. I've worked on houses clearly originally electrified in the 1920s. The house may have been rewired several times over that lifespan, but the DNO supply cable is still original. If you can't find anyone to do the 'contestable works' for you, then you are basically stuck, and there's no way of getting around that, unless you get keen and try to go completly off grid.

I wouldn’t even consider using my own cable, if a fault happens you are leaving yourself wide open to a world of pain re responsibility and liability. As said above keep the responsibility with the DNO up to and including the meter. Then you can adopt the nowt to do with me stance if the cable goes down. By all means do the donkey work and the fact that they put their cable in it means they have seen and accepted said trench.

Surprising if multiple plots that they are not being sold serviced, it would be cheaper if all 3 of you go the services installed at the same time.

Lots of other tricks to play, e.g if water and electricity has to cross a road, get water installed first as it is deepest and drop a duct in at the correct level for the electricity so they don't also need the road up.