Maintenance engineer role requirements? Is it possible to switch to this from Installation?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Soprano

Quality over quantity
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me specifically what I will need to learn to become a Electrical Maintenance Engineer? My back ground is Commercial Installation work. But I really do fancy this and I’m keen to find out what is involved and if the switch is possible. I’ve applied for some jobs but I’m not getting replies so I can only imagine that my Experience level or knowledge is not where it needs to be. Any help would be great. 

In the industries I have been in, to have the title of electrical engineer you had to have an electrical degree.

Can anyone tell me specifically what I will need to learn to become a Electrical Maintenance Engineer? My back ground is Commercial Installation work. But I really do fancy this and I’m keen to find out what is involved and if the switch is possible. I’ve applied for some jobs but I’m not getting replies so I can only imagine that my Experience level or knowledge is not where it needs to be. Any help would be great. 

Assuming these jobs you have applied for give a specification of the type of qualifications and experience they are looking for, And you meet that criteria, then it must be just the fact that there is a large quantity of similar qualified and experienced people out there also applying for the jobs.  Unless you don't actually meet the advertised criteria asked for in the vacancy, in which case you will know the answer to your own question.

Doc H.   

I try to keep things simple ...you are an electrician  ...are you any good at electrical maintenance ?   If yes  , you don't need any more quallies , just do it .

The description could be for , say, an hotel  or a complicated industrial complex or fixing hot drinks machines.  

Sparks come in many sizes , types & capabilities .     I know of "sparks"  who are experts in throwing up miles of steel trunking , conduit & pulling in SWA,s  .  Setting trunking !  Leave you standing  !!   Machine not working ?   Not a clue !!     Running a job ?   Would run a mile !!    The Clock on ...do your 8 hrs ..clock off  brigade .  Run a 16mm X 4 core from A to B  ..Great !!   Just leave him clipping away , he,s happy .    No idea how we arrived at size or if theres a Volt drop .  

I know sparks who brilliant at sorting industrial breakdowns ,  like second nature  but don't ask him to do installation .   Met one , looked after a factory  no problem ,   never read the Regs  , never used an MCB   or  RCD .   

So its really up to you  Tony ,  didn't you say you didn't want pressure .          No pressure when the plant has shut down and you're the saviour with the multi meter.

Assuming these jobs you have applied for give a specification of the type of qualifications and experience they are looking for, And you meet that criteria, then it must be just the fact that there is a large quantity of similar qualified and experienced people out there also applying for the jobs.  Unless you don't actually meet the advertised criteria asked for in the vacancy, in which case you will know the answer to your own question.

Doc H.   
I would say it is because I don’t meet the advertised criteria. I’ve mainly done commercial install. Done a bit with contactors and relays but that is it really. Thing is thow how do I get experience with PLCs and machines if nobody will give me the chance?

I try to keep things simple ...you are an electrician  ...are you any good at electrical maintenance ?   If yes  , you don't need any more quallies , just do it .

The description could be for , say, an hotel  or a complicated industrial complex or fixing hot drinks machines.  

Sparks come in many sizes , types & capabilities .     I know of "sparks"  who are experts in throwing up miles of steel trunking , conduit & pulling in SWA,s  .  Setting trunking !  Leave you standing  !!   Machine not working ?   Not a clue !!     Running a job ?   Would run a mile !!    The Clock on ...do your 8 hrs ..clock off  brigade .  Run a 16mm X 4 core from A to B  ..Great !!   Just leave him clipping away , he,s happy .    No idea how we arrived at size or if theres a Volt drop .  

I know sparks who brilliant at sorting industrial breakdowns ,  like second nature  but don't ask him to do installation .   Met one , looked after a factory  no problem ,   never read the Regs  , never used an MCB   or  RCD .   

So its really up to you  Tony ,  didn't you say you didn't want pressure .          No pressure when the plant has shut down and you're the saviour with the multi meter.
Im very good at metal munching. Setting it all out, planning it all, sub mains, metal conduit etc. So I fall into that category. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Im very good at metal munching. Setting it all out, planning it all, sub mains, metal conduit etc. So I fall into that category. 

so youll never be Rowan Atkinson then

I would say it is because I don’t meet the advertised criteria.

surely youll know what qualifications you need as those specified for the job will be those you dont have

An industrial maintenance electrician wears many hats. Mechanical, instrumentation, hydraulics, pneumatics, production process, occasionally you get to play with some wires.

90% of faults aren’t electrical but the electrician is the one that gets called first.

An industrial maintenance electrician wears many hats. Mechanical, instrumentation, hydraulics, pneumatics, production process, occasionally you get to play with some wires.

90% of faults aren’t electrical but the electrician is the one that gets called first.

yep. can go a few days without doing anything electrical

this was a callout from the other day... only thing electrical was locking off the controls...

DSC_7115.JPG

yep. can go a few days without doing anything electrical

this was a callout from the other day... only thing electrical was locking off the controls...

View attachment 10468

That's a   hell of a piece of ducting for just one bit of tube!

Are you sure its not just a very big wire-wound resistor? I am just trying to work out the value from the coloured bands; Grey/Brown/Brown/Grey/Brown/Diagonal Red/Grey/Brown/Grey/Brown/Brown. I think the tolerance is +/- 1% but the exact value is stumping me at the moment?

Doc H.  

Either a degree in electrical and electronic engineering or a lot of practical hands on experience in maintenance and fault finding. Lots of people know how to do installs, not so many know their way around a machine with PLC, hydraulics, pneumatics etc. So the short answer from what I know from 40 years in the trade is no you can't.