Makita BHR202 18v Li-Ion Cordless SDS Drill

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PC Electrics

Reaction score
I've bought one of these:

Makita BHR202RFE SDS 18v Rotary Hammer. Buy online or call

It uses the same 18v li-Ion 3.0Ahr batteries as the other Makita kit. This was my main reason for buying it. I didn't want the the expense (or "yet more batteries and charger" inconvenience) of 36volt SDSs, I already have a Bosch 2-26 mains SDS for the harder jobs.

Anyway, this week I've been working on a bathroom refit with a builder I work with. It has given me an opportunity to test out my new toy.

The house has a cavity wall with both leaves of brick. I drilled a 16mm hole through the wall for the shower cable - piece of pi$$.

I've also been using it for 6mm holes for red plugs - miles better than using a combi. The drill is light and compact enough to be easy to use, yet drills these holes with ease and without having to "lean on it" like you do with a combi. Brilliant when you're on a ladder and can't really get much weight behind it yet don't want anything too heavy or bulky.

My builder mate needed to put a 40mm core through the wall, so we thought we'd test out the 202. We started with fully charged batteries. The first battery put the core drill through the inner leaf (brick remember and on hammer too) and about a third or so through the second leaf before the power started to fall off. This battery went straight onto the charger. My mate then went up the ladder and drilled the rest of the outer leaf from the outside. He was well impressed with the compact size of the drill and how much easier it was to use up a ladder than a big mains job.

We were both impressed that the drill put a 40mm hole through two layers of brick on just 1 1/2 batteries. It also did so in about 10 mins and showed no sign of struggling.

The first battery was also back up to full charge in under 20 mins!

I haven't used it for any chiselling yet, but I dare say it will be okay for those lighter jobs like box holes in grey blocks.

I'm now using this to drill most holes in (hard) masonary in preference to using a combi (I have the Makita BHP451) and consider this to be a 5 star purchase.

Well recommended.

Edit:

I used it for some light chiselling today. Channelling out for cables in a render layer and cleaning off the surface of the bricks.

It was very good. With a sharp 40mm chisel it made light work. The machine is also lighter and easier to handle than my mains sds.

Well chuffed. This drill was worth every penny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice review cheers. I aready have the lxt202 combi drill & impact drill kit and have been trying to save up for the sds body. No such luck yet but will carry on trying.

Nice review cheers. I aready have the lxt202 combi drill & impact drill kit and have been trying to save up for the sds body. No such luck yet but will carry on trying.
Do you want me to see if i can get a good price for the body only unit Barx?

Nice review PC but I think if you carry on using it for core drilling it it will die you really need to use a mains drill for that. I have a chap working with me at the moment he has a makia drill had it for about 9 months and that is dying doesn't smell very good at all. Remember makita stuff only has a years guarantee so be careful.

Yes, thanks for that Batty.This was very much a test, not a regular activity. I don't really have the need to make core holes of this size. i just wanted a measure of the drills ability and was surprised it was able to do this and apparently so easily too. For me I'll use it mostly for drilling plug holes, holes through walls and maybe some light chiselling. I've got a mains sds for anything harder and those large cores for fans. It's nice to know it's got some real oomph though and doesn't just stall when you show it something tough.

No Mark, what I meant was that I spent a fair amount of time googling to find the best prices on the items that i wanted. I bought the items from a variety of sources to get the best prices. I now find that you do the kit and this item is

Sorry about that mate, just typed Makita drills into Google and we came up second, Did you use the model number?

Latest posts