Managing and using your generated power - a whacky idea?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well I wouldnt say that,

but,

I run LINUX [ubuntu] on my computer :Blushing

in fact, on all my computers,

(my excuse being, apart from this one that I got given to me, the rest of them are all ancient so run much better on ubuntu, or redhat, or backtrack.)

Hi Dave, as I understand it there is no operating system as such. the board has a couple of K storage for your inputted instructions and runs all the time power is on. if you view pic (sorry about poor quality) it shows listing of Delphi,VB,C++ and arduinos own language.

happy tinkering:)

seems to support a multitude of controlling systems

Code:
Arduino & iOS: Arduino Control You can use this App to control a Arduino using your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. It uses JSON for communication. You can change the sketch to make it do or return what you want.

Arduino + iPhone: MeteoBox This is an App for the iPhone that enables Arduino to publish weather data read from the WeatherShield1. The data are formatted in an XML file ready to be transferred through the Ethernet Shield. The provided sketch let you able to interface to other sensors.

Arduino + Android: Androino is an open-source library that interfaces android and arduino through an audio connection. A software implementation of a modem-like communication.
Arduino + Android
Arduino + Blender
Arduino + BlitzMax (access restricted to BlitzMax users)
Arduino + C
Arduino + C++ (using libSerial)
Arduino + C++ (for Windows)
Arduino + C#
Arduino + C# (Arduino class for C# and Arduino Firmware) Spanish
Arduino + Calico (Windows, Mac, and Linux): Python, Jigsaw (a visual programming language), Scheme, and more
Arduino + Cocoa/Objective-C (Mac Only)
Arduino + Delphi: A general template. The same Arduino code could be used in systems connecting Arduinos with devices programmed with other languages.
Arduino + Director
Arduino + Flash
Arduino + Flowol
Arduino + FreeBasic
Arduino + Game Maker
Arduino + Instant Reality (X3D)
Arduino + Isadora
Arduino + Java
Arduino + JSON
Arduino + Liberlab (measurement and experimentation software)
Arduino + Linux TTY
Arduino + Mathematica
Arduino + Matlab
Arduino + MaxMSP
Arduino + misc generic (1)
Arduino + misc generic (2) - Any SW via files
Arduino + Mono
Arduino + OSC (via Processing)
Arduino + Pd (Pure data)
Arduino + PERL
Arduino + Processing
Arduino + Python
Arduino + Ruby
Arduino + Second Life
Arduino + Scratch
Arduino + SQLite - Generic Simple Database input
Arduino + Squeak
Arduino + SuperCollider
Arduino + Unity
Arduino + VBscript
Arduino + Virtools
Arduino + Visual Basic .NET
Arduino + V V V V
Arduino + Xterm
Arduino + Reaper - This sketch for Arduino implements a very simple control surface with a MIDI interface for the Reaper Digital Audio Workstation from Cockos [url=http://reaper.fm]REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits[/url] Emulates a Frontier AlphaTrack MIDI control surface. Works with DFRobot LCD Keypad Shield for Arduino and Duemilanove. Instructions at the top of the sketch.

bit of a thought though, how come those arduino boards are so expensive compared to the raspberry considering the limited ability of them?

someone somewhere is making money
The andruino nano can be bought from ebay for under

Last edited by a moderator:
well, if you dont want the one you have ordered Dave, let me know and I'll have it.

I just cant be doing with this ordering and waiting for stuff.

seems like this is a goer then for you Dave. :D

well, if you dont want the one you have ordered Dave, let me know and I'll have it.I just cant be doing with this ordering and waiting for stuff.

seems like this is a goer then for you Dave. :D
I haven't ordered the Raspberry yet, just registered an interest with RS, which gets me in the queue to buy one when they are available. I'll decide at the time whether to buy it or not, if not I'll buy it for you (I'll check with you first) They are limiting it to 1 per customer to start with.

slightly different tack, but Fronius do a gadget that can be fitted to their inverters to do exactly what you want to achieve, whether it is cost effective to buy and tweak I wouldn't care to say, but might be worth a look?? Also worth pinging e-mail to dave the glitz - test gear design is his background.

this has got to be one of the most off-topic threads on here
Why?

This is a forum to discuss Solar PV (and other renewables) and we are discussing ways to best use your generated power, rather than letting it be exported to the grid.

Have a look around the instrument manufacturers such as Eltime for a "Reverse Power" Relay. These are normally used on a generator to detect failure of the prime mover but the principle is still the same ... connected into the tails it would close a contact when the power following out of your installation exceeds a threshold but will ingore incoming power flow.

Have a look around the instrument manufacturers such as Eltime for a "Reverse Power" Relay. These are normally used on a generator to detect failure of the prime mover but the principle is still the same ... connected into the tails it would close a contact when the power following out of your installation exceeds a threshold but will ingore incoming power flow.
Interesting idea. But if my previous experience of the machine control's industry is still relevant, that is going to cost a LOT more than the DIY system I'm in the process of making.

Dave, Ive been reading (and trying to digest) that thread on the [ahem] 'other' forum,

thats seem like the way to go, but, its starting to cost a lot more than your blueberry pi would, and I think the Pi would have a lot more forward/future options for changing the functions as and when required.

Dave, Ive been reading (and trying to digest) that thread on the [ahem] 'other' forum,thats seem like the way to go, but, its starting to cost a lot more than your blueberry pi would, and I think the Pi would have a lot more forward/future options for changing the functions as and when required.
I'm not so sure.

The Arduino was just under

Experiment step 2.

Nice sunny day today and panels generating nicely (well they did once the snow melted off them which took until about 10AM) So time to test the low power immersion heater:

It took just a little over an hour to heat the tank until the thermostat clicked off. That was with the immersion heater stat close to maximum. My over-run 500VA transformer was just comfortably warm, so I'll run with this one for now, but keep an eye out for a larger one.

This shows I need to think my water heating strategy carefully. Today's problem being the boiler had already been on this morning, so the tank was already quite hot. So I think I'll set the boiler to shut off earlier so it doesn't fire us as soon as someone gets in the shower, but leaves the water cooler for the PV to heat up later, knowing if the sun doesn't come out, we can always switch the boiler on later. I'll also tweak the tank stat down a little, so the boiler does not heat it quite as hot.

It will be at least a week before I get my other parts (coming from Hong Kong), then the fun really starts trying to automate it all.

EDIT:

It gets better. Looking at my left over control gear, I've found a suitable telemechanique contactor, but better still I have an LA4 DWB which is a remote stop start unit. Basically it takes a 24V DC control signal and opto couples that to a thyristor to switch the contactor coil.

I've just tested it, and in spite of the control input being rated at 24V DC, I find it only needs 4V DC to trigger it.

So the job of interfacing the controller to the contactor has just got a whole lot easier as well.

Time to box all that up and await my controller to arrive.

Getting nearer....

The contactor transformer and it's controls are packaged and wired and installed in the airing cupboard.

I've run a control cable from the airing cupboard down to the office where the CU and meter is. I opted for a hard wired link as it was considerably quicker that my previous idea of a wireless link.

So now I just send anything between 4.5V and 24V DC up the control cable to energise the contactor and turn on the low power immersion heater.

I just need my controller and current transformer to arrive.

The suspense is killing.

pics dave :Applaud
Not much to show yet.

The little auto transformer is to power the 110V contactor coil.

The big auto transformer is switched on by the contactor and powers the immersion heater from 110V

the grey box houses the Telemechanique contactor and it's control module that accepts the low power opto isolated DC input to turn it on.

Immersion_controller.jpg

The bit of this that I STILL haven`t got my head around (well, there`s 2 bits, really).

1. (probably being thick; but....)Why use 110 for the immersion? Wouldn`t it be easier to fire your immersion through your contactor, at 240?

2. The main question is how to determine which way the current is flowing in the tails:

i.e. If your generation meter shows you`re generating 2.5KW

and you`ve got an energy monitor thingy that says you`re using 1.5KW

Are you actually drawing 4KW, and importing 1.5 through the current transformer on the main tails, or

Are you actually drawing 1KW, and exporting 1.5 through the current transformer on the main tails?

Sorry - must be me having a "stupid" moment again........

Latest posts