Mandatory testing of rental properties.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And that Dave ,   sums up the whole nonsense of it  a treat  ...........  I have to pay Scam No1  to  be allowed to carry out the tests ...and pay Scam No2  for the pleasure of putting any faults right  .     

These scams aside, iirc isn’t the whole point of doing the C&G electrical installation courses and associated NVQ to train you to be a competent spark capable of not only installing, but remedying and testing, thus all those with the correct electrical installation qualifications should be exempt from requiring further auditing/scheme membership? 

Do those that do the electrical maintenance C&G courses have to be registered and learn to hoop jump to do their work? Or are they exempt as they learned maintenance of installations??? 

They wont/shouldnt have their logo on. You certainly cant buy elecsa branded forms from the Certsure store only NIC AC and ECA for EICR forms
Just checking ..and you 're correct Jono  .. they are in fact , generic forms ,  I'd not really noticed. 

These scams aside, iirc isn’t the whole point of doing the C&G electrical installation courses and associated NVQ to train you to be a competent spark capable of not only installing, but remedying and testing, thus all those with the correct electrical installation qualifications should be exempt from requiring further auditing/scheme membership? 

Do those that do the electrical maintenance C&G courses have to be registered and learn to hoop jump to do their work? Or are they exempt as they learned maintenance of installations??? 
Well I thought ..when the Pert P scams were announced , that  I ,as a time served apprentice  , with many years experience  in industrial , commercial  , maintenance & Domestic  installation  , overhead crane maintenance /panel building ,  Site  Foreman for years ,  JIB Approved Electrician , Supervisor , estimator ..........that I'd be qualified for house bashing ...... but apparently not .      The same for a colleague    , once an apprentice with us ,  left us behind with all his qualifications  etc  as a project designer / engineer  with NHS  ...but not qualified to wire a light in a house. :C  

Sharpy , maintenance sparks I,ve come across over the years ,  a lot good at what they do ,    but are way behind the likes of  , say , us self employed guys who, mostly, are well  on top of the game in comparison .

And  a similar situation with guys working for the bigger contractors ,  some  constantly on 1st fix ,  miles of tray , conduit etc  but never see a job through to the end .

Hence my stories of the guys we had as subbies   ,  arguing  until blue in the face   about stuff like  30A  /30mA  RCDs  will trip on a 30A overload   and neutrals can't pass through conduit boxes etc.   

Sharpy , maintenance sparks I,ve come across over the years ,  a lot good at what they do ,    but are way behind the likes of  , say , us self employed guys who, mostly, are well  on top of the game in comparison .

This statement clearly shows a total lack of knowledge of the role of an industrial electrician and yet strangely you list “industrial” in you’re skill set. Industrial installation (which I assume is what you’ve done) is far removed from commissioning, maintenance and repair.

BTW, do you know what punctuation is?

Tony , I'm not talking about guys like Sidewinder  or Canoey etc  for whom I have huge respect   but I have to say that , in my experience ,   the general maintenance  sparks who covers breakdowns , keeps the plant running , does a bit of installation ...does an excellent job but is not forced to be as up to date as a local electrical contractor  or a SE guy ....in my experience .  Yours may be different . 

I'm just saying a maintenance guy probably doesn't have a Regs book  handy ,  doesn't actually need it in everyday  use  

My other point , perhaps I didn't explain it fully was that some sparks working for the bigger contractors  have a different mind set .  They are not involved with any planning , they have a management structure above them , perhaps  chargehand , foreman , site supervisor , supervisor , engineer  and SOME  , not all,  become tray fixers , 1st fix  trunking fitters , cable bashers  etc .     Not paid to think , just do , finish at 5.00 & switch off.     If they left & went to a small contractor say, and were sent out on their own , they'd struggle TBH. 

As regards punctuation ,  I do my best  , sorry if it,s not up to your standard ,  we have guys who post huge blocks of text  that are difficult to read  and we have some guys whose spelling isn't too good but that,s  how it is  , we are all different  .    

Last edited by a moderator:
the nub of the whole matter, is that every time something new looms on the horizon, some money making quango tries to hi-jack it. Worse, some daft ****** lets them do it in the name of 'improving quality and protecting the public'.  A classic example of this is RECC and the MCS - you had to be registered with these people to install solar. Due to the demise of solar, they are now trying to jump on EV, batteries, and any PV install not being registered for the now non-existent Feed in Tariff. All stuff they have ignored for years.

I thought the same about double glazed windows  ,  must be Fensa  registered .     ( Fensa were in on the Part P at the beginning   & fell by the wayside ) 

Window fitters I believe  have to be Fensa registered but surely whatever the criteria is , it could have been handled  via the building regs .

So the window must be  made to  BS 1234   , the glass to BS 5678  etc   & fixed in a certain way .    Did it REALLY need a scheme setting up to monitor  fitting windows  ?      

I thought the same about double glazed windows  ,  must be Fensa  registered .     ( Fensa were in on the Part P at the beginning   & fell by the wayside ) 

Window fitters I believe  have to be Fensa registered but surely whatever the criteria is , it could have been handled  via the building regs .

So the window must be  made to  BS 1234   , the glass to BS 5678  etc   & fixed in a certain way .    Did it REALLY need a scheme setting up to monitor  fitting windows  ?      
Interesting. When I bought my bungalow about six years ago I found that the seller's solicitor had persuaded them to take out an insurance against me suing for the windows not being Fensa certified.  A scam on top of a scam!   TBH the idea would never have occurred to me. 

What I COULD have pursued was an insurance company who had repaired the kitchen floor after a plumbing disaster shortly before I purchased. They replaced the laminate without drying or replacing the chipboard sub floor.  It wouldn't have been worth it for a few sheets of chipboard  and a day or so of work, but it could have cost someone unable to do it dearly.

Latest posts