Matching led drivers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louisjt1

Reaction score
Hi guys - I need to replace an LED driver for one of my downlights.

I know how to make sure the bulb is compatible with the driver, but as I can’t find the exact same driver as those which connect to the other bulbs, I’m worried that it might perform differently to the others.

My question is…what driver metric (eg. ma, v, vdc) do I need to ‘match’ to ensure consistent output across all of the down lights?

LED's are essentially current operated devices so you need a driver with the same constant current output as your existing ones. Usually there will be a voltage range of the output too eg 24-28v which is the range of voltage it can use to achieve the set current.

Great, thank you!

So even if the range of Ma is slightly smaller/bigger/lower/higher, as long as I can match the vdc, it should produce consistent output?

The existing drivers give a range of 24 - 38v… so would the commonly sold 24v drivers match this?

Thanks for your help! Really appreciate it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 9
No.

It says constant current driver so the constant current is the key spec and determines the led brightness

Delivering that current into the LEDs requires the driver to generate a variable voltage and the driver shown will try to / be able to maintain the specified current over a 24 to 38 volts range

You need a driver with a similar level of constant current and a voltage range that covers at least 24-38. Beware there are loads of different specs and it will drive you mad looking

Ah that’s super helpful mate, thank you!

You’ve saved me from buying another thing that doesn’t work 👍