Megger 1730 Tester and lead connections

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

METPete

Reaction score
I Have a new Megger 1730 tester and have found that the leads are not used in same way as on a Megger 1552. That is if you are using the leads with croc clips - Red, Blue, Green

For doing 'No-Trip' test (L-PE) you connect Red to Red terminal and Green to Green terminal. BUT for 25A test (non 'No-Trip')(L-L L-N) you connect a lead to Blue terminal instead of the Green ... because it is a two lead tester it does it in a different way.

Spoke to Megger and they said that they are about to amend the instructions to include this detail.

You can of course use all three leads, but this defeats the object of this new meter being able to use two leads (we only have two hands at best of times)

Has anyone else found this out.

Just me then !

Oh well! thought I would mention it if nothing else to get my post rating up ... lol

true. tbh I wish I had stuck with the simpler one's. I knew how to operate those. These new ones are a bit more complex!

@METPete

I think the small quick start card explains that you need move leads for 25A test.

However how are you finding the no trip test results, I have seen some really random results when taken again with the 1500 model, example 1552 = 0.34, 1730 = 1.80 ???

This was on a 17th Edition MK Board and not a Wylex Board as some say Megger are aware of problems with Wylex Boards.

Will they do a recall I wonder, it seems this range was released without proper trials.

@METPeteI think the small quick start card explains that you need move leads for 25A test.

However how are you finding the no trip test results, I have seen some really random results when taken again with the 1500 model, example 1552 = 0.34, 1730 = 1.80 ???

This was on a 17th Edition MK Board and not a Wylex Board as some say Megger are aware of problems with Wylex Boards.

Will they do a recall I wonder, it seems this range was released without proper trials.
Perhaps they have gone back to the cm500 days

Hi all, why would they want to amend the instructions when it is already in there plain as day in paragraphs 7.1.1 amd 7.1.2 on page 11 of the users guide.......

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 01:10 ---------- Previous post was made at 01:00 ----------

Just done a test with mine; Low current .69 High current .064

Nothing wrong with the meter!!

Yes these figures seem high, but that is because i just plugged the meter into an extension lead i have here next to me. [it is after one in the morning!!]

john..

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 01:17 ---------- Previous post was made at 01:10 ----------

Just thought i would add that the high current test actually uses 4A so that it does not trip 6A breakers..

I think a lot depends on when you purchased the machine, from what I understand the early release units do have a problem, but it was corrected once found on later units.

Megger are taking back units giving random results and carrying out warranty repairs, lets see what it's like when I get it back.

from what i can gather, Megger would be very interested in this issue and it would benefit you to contact them directly. Unlike Fluke products. Anyway, take this with a pinch of salt, it's just what I was told by a guy from City's.

oh dear,

perhaps you should have stuck to one of the more name brands such as FLUKE or perhaps even METREL, :slap

says it all.!

I have no sympathy for anyone that buys megger and then complains they cant test,

I would have thought that buying a megger in the first place said that you didnt know how to test anyway, you only knew how to fill in certificates.!

@METPeteI think the small quick start card explains that you need move leads for 25A test.

I haven't had any strange readings ... yet ! I will keep an eye on this though.

If you do have a problem in the next few years at least a short drive to dover and all will be resolved, not far for you!

Hi all, why would they want to amend the instructions when it is already in there plain as day in paragraphs 7.1.1 amd 7.1.2 on page 11 of the users guide.......---------- Post Auto-Merged at 01:10 ---------- Previous post was made at 01:00 ----------

Just done a test with mine; Low current .69 High current .064

Nothing wrong with the meter!!

Yes these figures seem high, but that is because i just plugged the meter into an extension lead i have here next to me. [it is after one in the morning!!]

john..

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 01:17 ---------- Previous post was made at 01:10 ----------

Just thought i would add that the high current test actually uses 4A so that it does not trip 6A breakers..
Thanks for reply . You are absolutely correct, it IS in the manual . that will teach me to RTFM before using it (I did have quick read beforehand though)

I must go to Specsavers !!!

Regarding the test current, I did read up on the meter about one of the new features was that it would not trip 6A breakers, as well as a whole host of other features. In hindsight i think it might have been best to wait a while to see how the 'Field tests' go before buying one. I liked the new layout, similar to Fluke which I think is a positive move.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:35 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:26 ----------

oh dear,perhaps you should have stuck to one of the more name brands such as FLUKE or perhaps even METREL, :slap

says it all.!

I have no sympathy for anyone that buys megger and then complains they cant test,

I would have thought that buying a megger in the first place said that you didnt know how to test anyway, you only knew how to fill in certificates.!
I did buy one of the more 'name' brands ... in fact I like Megger (I have several peices of their kit - no problems) I also like Fluke but in my experience with them they always seemed less reliable than the Megger. As I said already i like the new layout that is similar to Fluke and they have other similarities (PFC is shown at same time as Zs test) amongst a few to mention. I think everyone has their own preference and I am not averse to using other brands but i will stick to my Megger for the time being. (I do like the case the Fluke comes in. I wish Megger would make one similar) I also think you have been a little harsh but I will take it with a pinch of salt and the humour that I think it deserves. ;)

Hi all,

Yes, i like the Megger myself, having said that, i have never tried any other sort as it is my first meter as i am just a newbie, [and an inexperienced one at that!]

Having said that though, i did i lot of thinking before a bought a meter, and it just seemed to be simpler to use, less easy to break by accidently connecting it up wrongly, and the manual was written in proper english instead of the funny "pidgin english" fluke speak!!

Having bought it i am very well pleased with it. I have read comments that infer that it is a "beginners" meter and that the fluke version can perform certain tests that the megger cannot, but although i have no experience of this myself, i would be interested to learn exactly what these tests are....

To be honest, i cannot think of any... but i might be wrong!!

All i can say is it seems simple to operate, robust, and has a nice quality feel about it!!

As in so much else, I think it is purely down to personal preference really...

john..

It is very much a personal preference,

In fact I myself have got a new meter which I am testing/trying at the minute, and it seems to be excellent so far :)

As for fluke doing tests megger cant, a lot of that is being able to interchange the test lead configuration on flukes, something that doesnt seem to be possible with megger, dunno about the new model though.

It is very much a personal preference,In fact I myself have got a new meter which I am testing/trying at the minute, and it seems to be excellent so far :)

As for fluke doing tests megger cant, a lot of that is being able to interchange the test lead configuration on flukes, something that doesnt seem to be possible with megger, dunno about the new model though.
Don't quite know what you're on about here Steps,,, I can put any of my 4mm leads in any of the 4mm sockets;)

The only ones that you can't are the probe and the plug lead, but you can get a plug lead with 4mm banana plugs on the oter end;)

yep, that is one test, plug and separates at once,

but doesnt the fluke come up with a warning and refuse the test if the leads arent all plugged in correctly?

****Update****

I did return my 1730 and it was loaded with new software, so I am told, and readings are much more to what I would expect now.

However on the subject of leads, I found that when carrying out ZS on a TN-S Installation with no Rcd, that with Plug Lead inserted and testing socket outlet the reading was lower than expected.

So I changed to 2 Leads and tested again, the reading was more in line with what I expected.

On reading the guide instructions again, it dawned on me, with the plug type lead in you must ditch the blue plug, let it hang free and just use the red and green with the green plugged in the blue socket, if all 3 are inserted it is testing ZS between L&N. Now it does say in the instructions test is between L&N, so my bad, but it says nothing about not connecting the blue plug on the socket lead.

I was so used to just popping the plug lead into my MFT1552 and doing the test, I did the same on the 1730 headbangheadbang

Latest posts